Archived Our store leaders are giving us impossible sales goals and nobody seems to notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So during our Tuesday night huddle our LoD and a few other leaders were checking to see if we knew our sales in our area for the previous day and then asked if we knew what the day's goal was.

Apparently each day, the goal in our department is 10% more than the previous day. So on Sunday, I'm expected to do 10% more sales in my area than on Saturday, the busiest day of the week. And then on Monday, the start of the work week, ten percent more.

Nobody at more store seems to question this or realize that 10% more each day reaches impossible numbers really quickly.

Just look at this poster/sales graph they put up in the break room for the Hunter release.

https://i.imgur.com/ULAF9dN.jpg

There's so many things wrong with this picture. And if anyone was wondering, sales have yet to break $500 a day on Hunter since that picture was taken.

It seems the leaders at my store don't understand how math or business works on a general level.

We receive a "grid" for our Monthly sales goal. It's broken down by day; based on LY numbers, seasonal events, Trending business, etc. Your Zebra has an app that gives you all your business reports, storewide, as well as your department details. THAT'S what your store should be focused on, not "just" Hunter. That was over the day it launched. (it's shocking to me that someone had time to make that chart for Hunter.... must be a TSC TL ;))

10% increases in sales for brick and mortar stores stopped in 2008 and will never come back. A 10% DAILY goal is truly insane. Your store leadership must all have been arts or theater majors in college because it's obvious none of them took a business class. And, judging by the design and execution of that graph, I can see why they are in retail and not one of the creative arts.

Last edited:
Ask them how they possibly expect you to get 10% more in sales each day. I’m pretty sure they won’t even have an answer

I know I was bad at math, but clearly your store leadership never paid attention to what exponential growth turns into, because they’d know those numbers get ridiculous real fast if they did. I’m sorry you have to deal with buffoons like that.

They're wanting us in beauty to each have a "goal" of $1,500 in cosmetics (no not combined.. each) when the most I've ever sold in a day was probably around $275... it's like theres really no point anymore to have a "personal goal" if it's just going to be a ridiculous number. And it's not like I'm not trying... I do really make an effort to sell as much as I can but this is just insane.

We base our goals on the forecasts given in myperformance. We adjust them based on day of the week, holidays, and weather etc to be realistic. But that’s the TLs and ETLs. TMs at most care if we ‘made’ sales, and aren’t given a ‘hard’ dollar amount goal, but rather, a goal to add to the basket, or sell something we have a lot of or that is on sale. Electronics and cosmetics sometimes get some arbitrary goal, or are told to set a goal for themselves. Leadership is learning that what worked last year when I was electronics TM won’t work for their current crew; as electronics TM I worked a mid shift every Friday-Sunday, zero tasks, and we had best electronics comp in the group for the year. The more I think about it, the more I think that the best TMs that you’ll ever have in a FACE area are the ones that are itching to get promoted. I don’t envy the leaders of FACE areas one bit; I have a solid crew of people that absolutely kill it when it comes to pushing zone and reshop, and their service is adequate. Electronics has someone right now who hides reshop, and leaves the pulls for the closer, and his TL and ETL let him because he’s the only one with green AAR. The others pick up his slack and of course they don’t have time to pitch hard to every guest. Pisses me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back