Outbound lane question ❓

Just wondering how many trailers are you assigned on an average day ? Do you work them alone or with a partner? And last question, how long or what triggers a yellow light to come on? I had my last day of training last night and I was assigned 3 trailers. 2 of them had walls that fell down and dumped boxes everywhere all 3 lanes were backed up from the get go. I spent the entire shift just trying to play catch up. Is this normal? Any tips or tricks? Thanks so much! I really need this job and just want to do good.

Welcome aboard. I started in OB and I remember it being tough in the beginning. Just hang in there.

The number of doors you are assigned are dependent on how big the plan for OB is. I've seen days where I was staffed with only 3 doors, and days where I've had to run 10 doors. I would ask your OM, LWW or closer for a staffing sheet so you can see how busy your lanes set is going to be.

You should be working your lanes set alone, but if you can reach out to your closer or LWW and see if they can give you a hand for a few in order to help out.

The yellow light means that your lane is full and that no more cartons can drop down or divert to your door. That light should be your priority. Depending on your building you should have a yellow and white light. The white light means your are 75% full. If you have no yellow lights on they're your next highest priority. If you have no lights on your priority should be your busiest lane.

And yes, rough handoffs, are unfortunately normal. If it's really bad, inform your OM at the start of shift, so they can take pictures and provide feedback to the other shift.

Just wondering how many trailers are you assigned on an average day ? Do you work them alone or with a partner? And last question, how long or what triggers a yellow light to come on? I had my last day of training last night and I was assigned 3 trailers. 2 of them had walls that fell down and dumped boxes everywhere all 3 lanes were backed up from the get go. I spent the entire shift just trying to play catch up. Is this normal? Any tips or tricks? Thanks so much! I really need this job and just want to do good.
11 is the max that they can assign. When it’s not peak you’ll recieve larger lane sets since the freight will be less dense making your productivity decrease (small little boxes is what you want). When it’s not peak you will receive larger lane sets but they won’t be hitting as hard. You will waste a lot of time with wasted movements between the lanes (don’t flex). Plus you are still ramping up/training.That ends after your 90 days. If you’re really that new productivity should be your least concern. Put your focus on being safe and building quality
then productivity will come. What do you mean? Outbound is catch up?! We are always playing catch up 😉. We’re always either waiting on Warehouse or Inbound. I’m waiting to be trained in a cherry picker so I could go and pick my own freight sort. GPM my own freight. Audit my own freight. Sort my own freight. Just to load my own freight just to close my own trailer. Because the TM that has that lane probably didn’t get trained or it was misinformed. If my Z number is associated with it it’s gonna be done correctly. (We fire people when they finish ramping up and they aren’t holding their own weight). Help others and others will help you but I’m telling you now if you piss off a veteran you’re not going to get much help. There are sensors that make the yellow lights come on when your line becomes full. A-sort can see The percentage of how full a TM’s lanes are. If you need any help make sure to reach out to your trainers or quality departments. If you have your sorter cert and can access the mezzanine in areas that require restrictions. Make sure and know your lines.
February‘s Lane CPH is 425.
Treat others with respect to get respect.
Just know we hitting plan
If you’re in outbound at my RDC on my key you best believe the trainers know how to train the right way because I’m making sure they know the way. If you need a door closed that Extendo better be backed out. The QC doesn’t do productivity remember that

Numbers don’t lie. Header labels do

Source: Im the GOAT / OB for 2 1/2 years and still counting / started with the best OB OM in the building. We used to be ranked within the top 5 DC’s for total throughput/CPH for our dept 💪🏻.

Last edited:
11 is the max that they can assign. When it’s not peak you’ll recieve larger lane sets since the freight will be less dense making your productivity decrease (small little boxes is what you want). When it’s not peak you will receive larger lane sets but they won’t be hitting as hard. You will waste a lot of time with wasted movements between the lanes (don’t flex). Plus you are still ramping up/training.That ends after your 90 days. If you’re really that new productivity should be your least concern. Put your focus on being safe and building quality
then productivity will come. What do you mean? Outbound is catch up?! We are always playing catch up 😉. We’re always either waiting on Warehouse or Inbound. I’m waiting to be trained in a cherry picker so I could go and pick my own freight sort. GPM my own freight. Audit my own freight. Sort my own freight. Just to load my own freight Because the TM that has that lane probably didn’t get trained or it was misinformed. (We fire people when they finish ramping up and they aren’t holding their own weight). Help others and others will help you but I’m telling you now if you piss off a veteran you’re not going to get much help. There are sensors that make the yellow lights come on when your line becomes full. A-sort can see The percentage of how full a TM’s lanes are. If you need any help make sure to reach out to your trainers or quality departments.
February‘s Lane CPH is 425.
Treat others with respect to get respect.
Just know we hitting plan
If you’re in outbound at my RDC on my key you best believe the trainers know how to train the right way because I’m making sure they know the way. If you need a door closed that Extendo better be backed out. The QC doesn’t do productivity remember that

Numbers don’t lie. Header labels do

Source: Im the GOAT / OB for 2 1/2 years and still counting / started with the best OB OM in the building. We used to be ranked within the top 5 DC’s for total throughput/CPH for our dept 💪🏻.
Your lane set CPH is 425? Ours is 441 with a budget of 571. OB is definitely a catch up department. It's also where you lose the most money. You are lucky to be able fire people who aren't holding their own weight. We have people that couldn't handle it almost no matter what but yet they insist we keep them. Have us out them in another function because "just cause they can't handle it in lanes doesn't mean they won't make a good sorter or depal person". The most lanes we have given people lately is 6 and that has to be a veteran because the new people cry at 5 lanes. Also do you have ICQA auditing stuff at your DC? Funny side note at my DC we actually did try a process where the CA person picked their cage AND threw their cage in depal. This was a few years ago but yea that didn't last.

Your lane set CPH is 425? Ours is 441 with a budget of 571. OB is definitely a catch up department. It's also where you lose the most money. You are lucky to be able fire people who aren't holding their own weight. We have people that couldn't handle it almost no matter what but yet they insist we keep them. Have us out them in another function because "just cause they can't handle it in lanes doesn't mean they won't make a good sorter or depal person". The most lanes we have given people lately is 6 and that has to be a veteran because the new people cry at 5 lanes. Also do you have ICQA auditing stuff at your DC? Funny side note at my DC we actually did try a process where the CA person picked their cage AND threw their cage in depal. This was a few years ago but yea that didn't last.

ICQA is the only dept I can’t get a job in.

I know I can be replaced. Thinking about my future…. E-commerce sounds like itd be a better fit than this warehouse worker position. Because, at this point…. I don’t even know who I trust to retrain me. I don’t wanna lose my benefits that I’ve busted it for just to not be able to finish this degree quick. Plus still waiting on HR… just waiting to hear back about these other internal applications I have out.

Plus we can’t even take a dump in our wing because the bathroom stall doesn’t exist. Hasn’t for like 2 weeks

I’m done with TBR.

Attachments

• 76266252-B18B-4056-A13B-FA6AB76C81D9.jpeg
    76266252-B18B-4056-A13B-FA6AB76C81D9.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Welcome aboard. I started in OB and I remember it being tough in the beginning. Just hang in there.

The number of doors you are assigned are dependent on how big the plan for OB is. I've seen days where I was staffed with only 3 doors, and days where I've had to run 10 doors. I would ask your OM, LWW or closer for a staffing sheet so you can see how busy your lanes set is going to be.

You should be working your lanes set alone, but if you can reach out to your closer or LWW and see if they can give you a hand for a few in order to help out.

The yellow light means that your lane is full and that no more cartons can drop down or divert to your door. That light should be your priority. Depending on your building you should have a yellow and white light. The white light means your are 75% full. If you have no yellow lights on they're your next highest priority. If you have no lights on your priority should be your busiest lane.

And yes, rough handoffs, are unfortunately normal. If it's really bad, inform your OM at the start of shift, so they can take pictures and provide feedback to the other shift.
Everything HAL said is true 110%. And also remember A Sort has eyes others don’t. You just need to be trained properly on how to use the software

A trainer should be with you your first day half day. The next two days they’re suppose to be close around

ICQA is the only dept I can’t get a job in.

I know I can be replaced. Thinking about my future…. E-commerce sounds like itd be a better fit than this warehouse worker position. Because, at this point…. I don’t even know who I trust to retrain me. I don’t wanna lose my benefits that I’ve busted it for just to not be able to finish this degree quick. Plus still waiting on HR… just waiting to hear back about these other internal applications I have out.

Plus we can’t even take a dump in our wing because the bathroom stall doesn’t exist. Hasn’t for like 2 weeks

I’m done with TBR.
E-commerce isn't too bad. I worked for the biggest one to date (wild guess) and helped build their foundation of how they run things by learning lean 6sigma, doing kaizens, and even presenting at the gemba board, and this was back in 08 when I started doing it. It definitely is easier in my eyes but just like this job, every building is different. May have the same core structure but the way the internal management runs it will make your experience or break it. I can't see ICQA being hard getting into as it's all root cause based and researching but if you work in OB I don't really seeing it as benefiting the ICQA team (well in my DC) because ICQA doesn't do anything in OB and they are all IB, MBP, and WHS based audits/processes. Hopefully your HR team is greatly better than ours and get back to you soon. Ours will get back to you eventually and sometimes eventually never happens if you don't reach out.

Wow I feel for you all. I spoke to my LWW last night and was told non peak is 4 lanes, peak is 2 lanes. I was assigned 4 last night and I did pretty good. I cannot imagine doing 10 or 11. Hats off to you all your beasts!!

Wow I feel for you all. I spoke to my LWW last night and was told non peak is 4 lanes, peak is 2 lanes. I was assigned 4 last night and I did pretty good. I cannot imagine doing 10 or 11. Hats off to you all your beasts!!
Oh man I remember the days where 10 was the normal and 6 was the least you got during peak. The most lanes I ever had when it was really slow was 24.

If the lanes are unsafe use your "stop work authority" and ask for help.

I remember days where it was so slow it was one per side and just a couple of sorters out there to help out if it got bad.

I'd rather one 150% on 4 doors than 90% on 10.
Same. I'd take those 4 busy ass doors than 10 that I have to walk so much for and get all that non con in. It seemed like simpler days

You know the capacity lead has everything to do with location and rack consolidation and nothing to do with plan attainment? You probably won't work with OB at all.
The new department from what I heard is working with IB and OB directly. Idk if every RDC has the new department but ik we do and they’re trying to go live asap (3/20/22). There’s also a location in AZ that is doing this too. Ik we are a consolidation hub. I don’t think the capacity department won’t make it past the docks but then again I dunno a thing. There was a lot to do in the yard the week before last. I know the OM’s are working hard and needed help yesterday. They are using the long pallets vs the regular ones. I think you can fit 2 on a triple. I saw a empty on the 60 this weekend. It’s been over a year and half since I have seen that 🧐 I dunnooo

Last edited:
The new department from what I heard is working with IB and OB directly. Idk if every RDC has the new department but ik we do and they’re trying to go live asap (3/20/22). There’s also a location in AZ that is doing this too. Ik we are a consolidation hub. I don’t think the capacity department won’t make it past the docks but then again I dunno a thing. There was a lot to do in the yard the week before last. I know the OM’s are working hard and needed help yesterday. They are using the long pallets vs the regular ones. I think you can fit 2 on a triple. I seen an empty on the 60 this weekend. It’s been over a year and half since I have seen that 🧐 I dunnooo
I work at the one in AZ they are doing and yes on will for OB but the other one will be WHS. I think the WHS one will work closely with IB for capacity of racks. We legit have a shit ton of freight with no locations because apparently they didn't stop receiving stuff when we didn't have anymore space. The OB one will work on cubing out the trailer and maximizing the amount of freight built into it. I'm working with a guy now who's going for the spot (pretty much gots the spot since hes doing a "special project" on trailer capacity) and he's working with TMs in lanes on retraining them to start cubing out trailers.

I work at the one in AZ they are doing and yes on will for OB but the other one will be WHS. I think the WHS one will work closely with IB for capacity of racks. We legit have a shit ton of freight with no locations because apparently they didn't stop receiving stuff when we didn't have anymore space. The OB one will work on cubing out the trailer and maximizing the amount of freight built into it. I'm working with a guy now who's going for the spot (pretty much gots the spot since hes doing a "special project" on trailer capacity) and he's working with TMs in lanes on retraining them to start cubing out trailers.
I applied Thursday 2/24. Was informed I had been selected for an interview that following Tuesday 3/1. Had my interview Wednesday 3/2. Haha (Been working 50hr + wks lately). I was completely exhausted and not prepared. I won’t probably get an offer. Anyways, I’m curious to know why these new long pallets are appearing everywhere. Are they really going to try to use these long pallets and load them in trailers?!

Last edited:
Why focus on cubing trailers when 80% of the time they are getting sent based on cut time nowadays than trailers capacity? Can you give any more insight? I dont even understand how you would "focus" on that. Sounds more like a trainer issue and people sucking at loading trailers. what will a new Lead do for that that a trainer couldnt/shouldnt already be doing?

Why focus on cubing trailers when 80% of the time they are getting sent based on cut time nowadays than trailers capacity? Can you give any more insight? I dont even understand how you would "focus" on that. Sounds more like a trainer issue and people sucking at loading trailers. what will a new Lead do for that that a trainer couldnt/shouldnt already be doing?
It's definitely a training/accountability issue. Based off JI it states to build to the ceiling of the trailer. Now whether that gets enforced by OMs is blatant by how the trailers look now these days. That's all the info I had gathered on the OB aspect of it but who knows that could end up changing. It could also be them seeing what trailers they can change from 54 footers to 48 footers OR what I had mentioned before is use 48 footers and have PIPO go on their own trailers like what we do in AZ for candy when it's hot. Multiple stores on one trailer. I can update once it rolls out or once I get more info but yea I'm not too sure why concentrate on that when you could just hold people accountable

“Multiple stores on one trailer. I can update once it rolls out or once I get more info but yea I'm not too sure”
Also called consolidation. Multiple stores on one trailer. Which is what is trying to be achieved in Capacity. As so I think. The department goes live 3/20. So we shall find out. Good insights thanks. T3804,T3801,T3802,T055 are all hiring Capacity Leads rn.

I would talk to an OBOM regarding trailer quality and a TOM regarding trainers. You could probably ask a COM on or after 3/20. If I were a COM I’d kindly direct you to an OBOM or a TOM to discuss this matter.

Last edited:
Also called consolidation. Multiple stores on one trailer. Which is what is trying to be achieved in Capacity. As so I think. The department goes live 3/20. So we shall find out. Good insights thanks. T3804,T3801,T3802,T055 are all hiring Capacity Leads rn.

I would talk to an OBOM regarding trailer quality and a TOM regarding trainers. You could probably ask a COM on or after 3/20. If I were a COM I’d kindly direct you to an OBOM or a TOM to discuss this matter.
It will definitely be interesting to see what they do with the role when it goes live. My DC just took down the posting for capacity leads so now are interviews. I know one of my guys is going for it but hasn't got an interview date. The only time we have multiple stores on one trailer is during fall for Halloween. It isn't cold enough here so the candy will melt. We call it candy land and the shipping wing gets nice and cold

It will definitely be interesting to see what they do with the role when it goes live. My DC just took down the posting for capacity leads so now are interviews. I know one of my guys is going for it but hasn't got an interview date. The only time we have multiple stores on one trailer is during fall for Halloween. It isn't cold enough here so the candy will melt. We call it candy land and the shipping wing gets nice and cold
My DC also took down the job postings as well. Haven't heard back from my interview but still haven’t received that rejection notification via workday 😂

They are using the long pallets vs the regular ones. I think you can fit 2 on a triple.
Lied. Was able to get 3 on a triple yesterday like it wasn’t even a thaaaaang. (No pallets busted when doing so). I could pick up a 3 pc coming in from the back of 127 if need be.
GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Last edited:
It's definitely a training/accountability issue. Based off JI it states to build to the ceiling of the trailer. Now whether that gets enforced by OMs is blatant by how the trailers look now these days.
ha ha, you’re so funny. Accountable. That’s a bad word at target.

Back