Archived Overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here ever been disciplined for hitting overtime I was cashiering and didn't realize that I might have gone over until I saw that I had worked 35.8 hours already this week and had just worked a 4.5 shift.

HR and ETL's should pull the OT report every day to see who is on the OT report so we can figure out how to get the person of the OT list. If someone goofed up and over scheduled you, it's not your fault.

I wasn't, I was scheduled for 35.5 hours and then took a 4 hour cashier shift. The GSTL asked me if I wanted to stay later and I told her I could only stay about a half hour thinking I'd be good but then when I clocked out I saw that it said 35.8 hours worked. It's only .3 but I'm sure it's not about how much over you go it's just about hitting it.

Whenever you stay late you are responsible for getting under 40 by the end of the week.

Most likely you have nothing to worry about at my store it's only a coaching if you hit overtime. I have only heard of stores in California doing more than that.

Lur had great advice, on weeks you are close to 40 you should be checking the overtime report when you start work to know where you need to cut

When ever you are scheduled 39.5 hours it's best not to stay a minute longer to avoid OT. If you clock in 5 minutes early each day, you get very close to OT or into OT.
A lot of Team Members who get close to OT or are on the report will come and see me so we can figure out how to get them off the OT report. I email the report every day to Leadership and my STL so we can work on getting people off the OT report.
At my store you would not get into trouble for going 0.3 hours into OT but my STL would have a conversation with who ever kept you longer.

I've never been disciplined, but I've had brief conversations over it. It's not the end of the world, especially if it's only a few minutes.

A lot of TMs at my store are scheduled for 40, so the morning LOD routine includes pulling the projected OT report each morning and informing TMs how much time they have to cut.

Honestly its the GSTL fault.... they are suppose to ask you how many hours do u have this week b4 asking you to stay. Especially if it is the end of the week.

Hit o/t a couple weeks ago - 2 hours in the end. Took an extra shift but advised the ETL I would be hitting it close and would need to trim hours and/or take a longer lunch to balance it out. She said it's fine. HRETL said "it's fine you're not on the o/t report". When I hit it I told them. Nope "it's fine". Shrugged my shoulders and finished my shift. Next day "hey West, you had o/t" by the ETL. No sh*t. HRETL stepped in and said they would approve it and not to worry about it.

It never showed up on the o/t report for some reason though I could see it when viewing my timesheet. Weird.

Last year, hit o/t by 7 minutes. You would have thought the world was ending haha. I know we're understaffed so that may be the diff now but even a minute o/t, I understand, qualifies you for a lovely "conversation". Case by case in the end, I suppose.

Edit: our O/T report is posted daily next to the schedules (adjacent to the time clock)

All stores are supposed to do this. It's amazing how few team members actually look at it though.
We all look at it daily and go "ooooooo someone's gunna get in troubllllllllle!" It's the perfect spot for posting the report along with the missed-punches page with each name highlighted in yellow. Next to that is a step by step instruction on how to correct a missed or error punch. Pretty helpful and I still have to look at it when I goof up from time to time.

The week ends on Saturday at midnight, right? Like if I leave on Saturday with 39.2 hours, and come in at 4AM on Sunday, nothing will carry over.

It never showed up on the o/t report for some reason though I could see it when viewing my timesheet. Weird.
Don't you work overnights? It could be that some hours shifted into the next week if you worked on a Saturday into Sunday.

And if it was the week of the 4th, and hours on the holiday are already time and a half and don't count towards OT. I was well over 40 that week without hitting OT.

Don't you work overnights? It could be that some hours shifted into the next week if you worked on a Saturday into Sunday.

And if it was the week of the 4th, and hours on the holiday are already time and a half and don't count towards OT. I was well over 40 that week without hitting OT.
I work both o/n and days. No, I had hit 42 regular hours by the time I came in for my Saturday night shift. I always have a day or two off at the end of the week which makes calculating my weekly hours a fairly simple task. Curiously, I started work at 10pm that Saturday night for the o/n shift and as I had already worked 42 hours prior to clocking in, assumed I would have a total of 4 hours OT - ETL and HRETL said the same). I checked my pay stub Tuesday when it became available and nope ... only two hours which means ... the overnight shift is paid on the ending date rather than the date the shift begins. Anyhoo ... no, never appeared on the OT list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back