Archived Own your Reshop - Guest Service changes 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many other stores have had their guest service completely overhauled? Our store just changed from reshop to go backs as the proper terminology, and team members now have to "own their reshop" meaning any mixed reshop they find, it's their job to push. How this actually works is lots of misplaced product, hidden carts of abandoned mixes turning up all the time, and people such as myself pushing stuff on the opposite side of the department I'm supposed to be in (electronics). Team members are also in charge of the pilfered and damaged items, though I've not yet been taught how do to this. Now that I think about it, not been given much proper instruction on these changes at all, not that this is untypical of Target.

Guest Service now only handles returns, and I guess instead of sorting, they just act like greeters when business is slow.

What other stores are doing this, and what are your thoughts on it?

How many other stores have had their guest service completely overhauled? Our store just changed from reshop to go backs as the proper terminology, and team members now have to "own their reshop" meaning any mixed reshop they find, it's their job to push. How this actually works is lots of misplaced product, hidden carts of abandoned mixes turning up all the time, and people such as myself pushing stuff on the opposite side of the department I'm supposed to be in (electronics). Team members are also in charge of the pilfered and damaged items, though I've not yet been taught how do to this. Now that I think about it, not been given much proper instruction on these changes at all, not that this is untypical of Target.

Guest Service now only handles returns, and I guess instead of sorting, they just act like greeters when business is slow.

What other stores are doing this, and what are your thoughts on it?

At the guest service register

hit F8 - key your employee id# to log in.
You are now at sort screen
Scan item
F6 - empty package
F4- believe is defective
F5 override to destroy
F8 - continue to defect as the screen is saying. "Donate, CRC, E-cycle"

The printer connected should spit out a sticker, slap that near the bar code and the guest service people can show you what bins to toss the stuff into.

This is not necessarily the solution to the problem, Target does need to rethink some of this basic stuff. They bark from on high, "Service Desk should be like a hotel lobby" but again do not change the resources, payroll, or systems to match this expectation.

Perhaps they should make a centralized sorting location that is not service desk. There is a capability to setup Electronics and Jewelry as sorting locations for sure, so I know its possible!

I don't like seeing that guest service can stand around and do nothing from time to time or just the fact that they can just spray down the desk and clean it.

I don't like seeing that guest service can stand around and do nothing from time to time or just the fact that they can just spray down the desk and clean it.

I have to say ours are pretty good at staying busy. I sort my own reshop/defectives but if they are not busy they will do it for me.

We own ours for our department we are in. If we have other worlds, we still take those to the front to be sorted and get pushed out. We went from 30 carts almost daily to 0 carts. On a bad bad night we may have 1 or 2 carts but thats a whole lot better than what it was.

This is not necessarily the solution to the problem, Target does need to rethink some of this basic stuff. They bark from on high, "Service Desk should be like a hotel lobby" but again do not change the resources, payroll, or systems to match this expectation.

Perhaps they should make a centralized sorting location that is not service desk. There is a capability to setup Electronics and Jewelry as sorting locations for sure, so I know its possible!

Our jewelry area is a wasteland in which very few roam...it'd be perfect!!

We own ours for our department we are in. If we have other worlds, we still take those to the front to be sorted and get pushed out. We went from 30 carts almost daily to 0 carts. On a bad bad night we may have 1 or 2 carts but thats a whole lot better than what it was.
This is how it used to be at my store. Were people bringing returns for their own area up to Guest Services and making the GSTM sort them? Or were they just not working their own returns while they zoned?

This is how it used to be at my store. Were people bringing returns for their own area up to Guest Services and making the GSTM sort them? Or were they just not working their own returns while they zoned?
Basically people were just lazy about it and bring it all up and not working out.

They bark from on high, "Service Desk should be like a hotel lobby"
The people at HQ have to learn to come up with better comparisons. A hotel dosen't have guests buying whole rooms, taking them home then returning them because they don't fit. Hotel guests don't pick up several whole hotel rooms and then scatter them about on difrent floors. Hotels don't have guests order hotel rooms on-line so they can come in, pick them up and then leave with them. Hotel guests don't damage whole hotel rooms (well, unless you are a rock and roll band) that then have to be taken somewhere to be charged out and disposed of. Hotel don't keep pallets of water, soda, and free standing product displays that their guests have to weave around to get to their rooms.

We have an older store that's got a wall with a large hole in it for carts to go under. No more carts! They made us install shelves behind that wall, and it's a serious safety hazard, since it's extremely narrow back there. I have had 3 team member injuries since they made us do that.

I first started sorting my own reshop, then noticed people would just leave it, but then realized it likely ends up in the wrong spot/it's more respectable if you can to sort reshop yourself and defectived

Everyone who works GS at my store is trained to sort abandon into the right carts. Most times, TMs sort a cart they are bringing up from their area but sometimes, they are slammed and we do it for them. All abandoned is brought up an hour before close to be sorted and reshopped by the various sales floor TMs. At the end of the night, all reshop carts are empty. It works well for us.

So I've said this in other threads and I'll say it again: Other than returns, what do Guest Service TMs do now that there's nothing to sort?

So I've said this in other threads and I'll say it again: Other than returns, what do Guest Service TMs do now that there's nothing to sort?

The post above yours tells you what GS TMs do at my store. We still sort. This, in addition to processing returns, zoning Bullseye, trading card wall, coolers, closing out salvage and CRC, getting change for cashiers etc. Oh yeah...and actual checking out of guests bc we are a IGS store. We still do a lot. The GSTL and GSA? I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
We have an older store that's got a wall with a large hole in it for carts to go under. No more carts! They made us install shelves behind that wall, and it's a serious safety hazard, since it's extremely narrow back there. I have had 3 team member injuries since they made us do that.
We've always used softlines shelves on the back of that half wall and don't have any issues. It leaves about one shopping cart width of space to walk through.

The people at HQ have to learn to come up with better comparisons. A hotel dosen't have guests buying whole rooms, taking them home then returning them because they don't fit. Hotel guests don't pick up several whole hotel rooms and then scatter them about on difrent floors. Hotels don't have guests order hotel rooms on-line so they can come in, pick them up and then leave with them. Hotel guests don't damage whole hotel rooms (well, unless you are a rock and roll band) that then have to be taken somewhere to be charged out and disposed of. Hotel don't keep pallets of water, soda, and free standing product displays that their guests have to weave around to get to their rooms.
And hotels will charge their guests for any extra charges and any damage to the rooms or stolen items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back