I'm Lost! Paid and left scammers

what do you do if a guest claims they have a paid and left but it was never logged so we don’t have a P&L receipt. Practice at my store is making a gift card for the amount of the total that they left or just discounting or requisitioning the whole thing but I feel like guests can get away with lying too easily. Especially if they don’t even have their receipt, I would deny it.
A few weeks ago we had a sus guest that was trying to scam my coworker. She said she paid for some stuff and left the bag which had the receipt. Since she said she paid with her red card on her wallet we tried looking up her purchases for the receipt and guess what it wasn’t there. When it was pointed out she played dumb and said oh I probably forgot to pay haha, got all flustered and walked off. Does your store look up the items on their card or just take their word for it?

Do NOT requisition P&L for guests! That comes out of budgets your store has for operating costs, such as office supplies, or team member recognition. There is a P&L option under the K keys, if you do K5 for functions, then K3 for Paid & Left, and it will allow you to ring out the items or pay them out if out of stock. This also allows AP to track it.

Do NOT requisition P&L for guests! That comes out of budgets your store has for operating costs, such as office supplies, or team member recognition. There is a P&L option under the K keys, if you do K5 for functions, then K3 for Paid & Left, and it will allow you to ring out the items or pay them out if out of stock. This also allows AP to track it.
Tbh we just give it to them if it's not high value, or defect it I think

What to do as a Guest/Service Advocate with Paid and Left:
  1. Take to Guest Service
  2. K5 Functions > K3 Paid & Left > K1 Ring in Left Items
  3. Scan the stuff like a transaction
  4. Total
  5. Take receipt, log into P/L log book with "Payout" amount (not "Total" which is usually just a few pennies), keep for 1 year in log book
  6. Set items back out for reshop; defect temperature sensitive items
Guest returns with receipt to claim items:
  1. K5 > K3 > K2 Paid & Left Payout
  2. Scan receipt from log
  3. Scan guest receipt (if no receipt, K1 for No Receipt – POS will prompt for an ID just like a non-receipted return - will issue only if Guest ID not over ~$70 limit)
  4. Key in Payout total (again not just Total)
  5. Amount will go to a Gift Card (or Merch Return Card if No Receipt indicated)
  6. Get Guest's State ID or passport; fill out claim information in log book (Guest's name and address)
  7. Give them the card, staple the Log Book copy to the original log book receipt
  8. POS prints a balance inquiry for the gift card for the Guest to re-buy the items (or whatever honestly) – no printout if a Merch Card was issued
What NOT TO F'ING DO with Paid and Left:
  • Take to Guest Service and treat it as reshop
  • Dump it in a bin or in the Hold Space like an idiot, especially if it's temperature sensitive items as no one likes the smell of rotting meat and old dairy in a bin where maggots have begun to appear on said meat and the dairy has expanded to the point it will blow
  • Empty the bag at checkout and treat it as reshop

What NOT TO F'ING DO with Paid and Left:
  • Take to Guest Service and treat it as reshop
  • Dump it in a bin or in the Hold Space like an idiot, especially if it's temperature sensitive items as no one likes the smell of rotting meat and old dairy in a bin where maggots have begun to appear on said meat and the dairy has expanded to the point it will blow
  • Empty the bag at checkout and treat it as reshop
WHY IS THIS EVERY CASHIER AT MY STORE??? One left milk at GS. Milk.

honestly we log everything we get but we don’tusually process it when the guest comes to claim beyond having them sign.

Does it let you pay out if there wasn’t a ring out receipt ever logged? if it doesn’t are you supposed to just make one and than pay out right after?

We just let them go get the same items (on the receipt), check that they are the same and then let them leave.
Yeah now thinking about it we probably should account for the missing inventory but I think the thought process is that it was lost somewhere in the store and probably made its way back into inventory anyways.

Does it let you pay out if there wasn’t a ring out receipt ever logged? if it doesn’t are you supposed to just make one and than pay out right after?

The register doesn't know it wasn't logged. The log is just a piece of paper in the binder. If the guest has the receipt with the P&L in question, it'll have you scan it for a pay out. Doesn't matter if it was logged or not. If the guest doesn't have the receipt, what you do depends on the value of the item. A tube of toothpaste, knock yourself out. A Vitamix, fuck on out of here.

The register doesn't know it wasn't logged. The log is just a piece of paper in the binder. If the guest has the receipt with the P&L in question, it'll have you scan it for a pay out. Doesn't matter if it was logged or not. If the guest doesn't have the receipt, what you do depends on the value of the item. A tube of toothpaste, knock yourself out. A Vitamix, fuck on out of here.
And should the guest grab the items from the floor before we do a pay out and bring it over or does it not matter.

And should the guest grab the items from the floor before we do a pay out and bring it over or does it not matter.
Yes, guest should get item so you can verify DPCI matches exactly. Please partner with your GSTL for specifics as this is an ASANTS process.

Back