Paid LOA and unemployment. Is it possible?

I wasn't trying to be slick or anything to start this all off. I qualified for the Paid LOA due to Covid-19 or Coronavirus. If I'm not mistaken we only get paid up to our average hours for this paid leave. I was working more than my average when this all started. My intentions were to get paid from Target up to my average while unemployment covers the rest. Got the unemployment letter stating that I do qualify for the unemployment and it states I was still working, part-time. Come to check my check this morning and it's a blank check. I'm just wondering if I'm not able to receive a check from Target's Paid Leave while receiving unemployment. I do know for my position I get paid more through unemployment than I would through paid leave because of the extra $600 anyways so I'm all good either way. Any info?

Last edited:
Unemployment is through states not the feds so rules vary state to state. In my state, if you are being paid your average hours as it appears on your last worked pay stub, you do not qualify for unemployment or supplemental unemployment.

I'm on an unpaid LOA. I just put in for unemployment online yesterday. I figured it didn't hurt to try. We will see. I know there are people who put in for unemployment 6 weeks ago and still haven't received anything. I'm not holding my breath. I contacted the Target benefits line, it took 3 tries but I will be getting the remainder of my accrued sick time.

It depends on each state's UI laws. My hunch is in most states you won't qualify IF you are receiving a paid LOA equivalent to your average weekly hours, that would not be underemployment (reduction of income through no fault of your own). In some states, you might. In some states, you might qualify depending on circumstances if you were on an unpaid LOA. Some states have loosened up UI eligibility during the COVID-19 crisis. YMMV

Back