Archived Paranoid Guests

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't normally work as a cashier but I'll help whenever someone calls out or they ask me to cover a shift.

That being said I fucking hate having to scan I.D. when prompted. Most of the customers are reasonable but some throw some of the biggest douchey hissy fits.

Yesterday I had a guy come through my line. I knew he would be annoying because when I said hello he didn't even look my direction. So I ring up his precious beer and ask to scan his I.D. He immediately went off on me. Ranting about how he isn't going to let Target get his info. Mansplaining to me about how sensitive info from his card would get into the system. Telling me Target can't legally do it. Blah, blah, blah.

Finally a supervisor comes over and types the DOB in and he turns calmer. Which is funny because I'm very angry now. He told me it was nothing personal against me but against Target policy. I looked him in the eye and told him bluntly I am not risking my job, and possible legal repercussions, on his paranoia.

He kept trying to say it was nothing against me and I told him the nicest way I knew how to get the hell out of my lane because he was holding customers up.

God, maybe I'm not cut out for cashiering. The next customers expressed disgust at how he acted.

Just needed to get that off my chest. It ruined my whole shift.

Mansplaining
tenor.gif

Yeah, some of them are flat out rude when you ask for their ID and they challenge you even when you say that the register is prompted that way. We had one guy insist that we were trying to steal his identity and no amount of explaining could convince him that it just verifies DOB and doesn't store anything. The ETL wouldn't even type it in for him, he was such an asshole. Now THAT was a good day!;)

Try working in a state with out-dated blue laws.
I can always spot the ones who didn't grow up here when they freak out over having to wait 'til noon to buy their booze.
Edit: Noon Sundays. Something about waiting 'til after church to get yer liquor.
Rest of the week you can get smashed earlier.
Fun times.

Last edited:
Try working in a state with out-dated blue laws.
I can always spot the ones who didn't grow up here when they freak out over having to wait 'til noon to buy their booze.
Fun times.

Do they really? Ours are between the hours of 2 - 6 am. So the only time we have to enforce that law is black Friday.

Usually "oh I don't have to scan your Id, but if I don't, I'll have to wait for my supervisor's code and she's at GS helping guests and probably won't be over for a few minutes" gets them ok with it.

People are such fucking lazy asses who moan when they need to show their ID. Oh I need ID for Nicotine? Oh I need ID for Paint? ohhhhhhh this that and that. It's not that hard at all and it's only the law that you show your ID. I don't mean to be a debby downer here but cashiers that don't ask for ID need to, I'm glad you absolutely have to for alcohol, but on things like paint, cans of air etc you also need to ask. Videogames rated-M is another subject.

I hate asking for ID, so I say thank you basically 3 times for showing their ID. I also hate when the person says "but... the cashier didn't need my ID last time? He/she just entered my DOB......" and oohoo I got something for you if you think I'm not gonna make you whip your ID out. People who complain to show their ID to validate are just terrible in general. You don't walk into a Smokeshop, attempt to buy tobacco or tobacco related products, then get pissed when they ask for ID.

You'll be happy to know that with the exception of SCO we can no longer key in DOB without supervisor approval. We have to scan id.

If there's one thing a guest has ABSOLUTE NO SAY in, it's whether they can bypass showing you an ID when prompted on the POS. If there's someone who doesn't understand that, I would love to give them a little educating.

Story I've told before was of the 60+ yr old woman who couldn't buy a bottle of wine because she forgot her ID (riding with her daughter).
She was doing a half-hearted protest when her grown daughter offered to buy the wine.
"Hell, no! Wait 'til the girls at bunco hear about this!" before laughing all the way out.

I don't normally work as a cashier but I'll help whenever someone calls out or they ask me to cover a shift.

That being said I fucking hate having to scan I.D. when prompted. Most of the customers are reasonable but some throw some of the biggest douchey hissy fits.

Yesterday I had a guy come through my line. I knew he would be annoying because when I said hello he didn't even look my direction. So I ring up his precious beer and ask to scan his I.D. He immediately went off on me. Ranting about how he isn't going to let Target get his info. Mansplaining to me about how sensitive info from his card would get into the system. Telling me Target can't legally do it. Blah, blah, blah.

Finally a supervisor comes over and types the DOB in and he turns calmer. Which is funny because I'm very angry now. He told me it was nothing personal against me but against Target policy. I looked him in the eye and told him bluntly I am not risking my job, and possible legal repercussions, on his paranoia.

He kept trying to say it was nothing against me and I told him the nicest way I knew how to get the hell out of my lane because he was holding customers up.

God, maybe I'm not cut out for cashiering. The next customers expressed disgust at how he acted.

Just needed to get that off my chest. It ruined my whole shift.

Why did any of what he did bother you?

GOT TO BE 21 CARD EVERYONE.

If the guy couldn't provide ID, he can live without the beer.

We had a TM once that attempted to buy a tall-boy at 2am break. That was interesting. Immediately after, she began bringing her own "water bottle".

As far as paranoid guests, we have a major drug problem in our city and it seems most of these folks come in to utilize the bathrooms to get their fix. Every so often they'll stop by GS to complain about the AP people speaking through the bathroom mirrors too loud. Yeah.

When I first started at Target we could override the ID thing if the guest looked over (I think it was) 40. Then they changed it to everyone. Had this elderly man come thru my line a few weeks later. Asked for his ID (he was buying wine) and he said, "If you have to see the ID of a 90 yr old man, I don't want the wine." And he walked out. About 2 weeks later he came thru my line again. Asked for his ID and this time he said, "If you have to see the ID of a 100 yr old man, I don't want the wine.". I'm thinking to my self that the poor man aged 10 yrs JUST because I asked him for his ID:rolleyes:. A few weeks after that this woman came thru my line. We were talking and I mentioned this guy. She told me that it was her FIL and he had talked about it when he got home. She was laughing and thought it was really funny.

I despise guests that go off on TMs, who make near minimum wage and shouldn't have to put up with these people. I love being the TL that gets called to diffuse the situation, take the TMs side and completely enrage the guest. Like calling over a manager allows you to get whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back