Pay grades between states

So I'm about to transfer, and potentially for a brand new store soon in southern California. I've always heard they get paid higher than most and that their minimums for both pg35/45 are higher. Is this true? I'm in pg45, and if they hire me will my pay change? My current store is a high volume and in structure E. Don't know what this new store will be.

gsa4lyfe

Always here
So I'm about to transfer, and potentially for a brand new store soon in southern California. I've always heard they get paid higher than most and that their minimums for both pg35/45 are higher. Is this true? I'm in pg45, and if they hire me will my pay change? My current store is a high volume and in structure E. Don't know what this new store will be.
You won’t go down but you can possibly go higher if the cost of living/the minimum is higher in your new area. Search Txxx pay chart on workbench to get your stores info

Last edited:
Higher pay twice as much BS

Fix It

If I were dumber I’d be a plumber.
You always keep your pay no matter where you go as long as you aren’t doing some hokey TL to TM demotion stuff. If your coming to Cali be aware the workloads are more demanding than other parts of the country. People who’ve transferred out and in have both said it’s like working for a different company.

In my area of SC, minimum wage is currently 13.25 an hour (expected to go up soon), which is way better than a few years ago. Not sure about the leadership positions or pay grades you are talking about, but I would hope it would be proportional, because can be extremely expensive to live here.

More like $1 mil and even then you'll burn through that in a hurry just with property taxes
It can really depend on where they are locating to or what your living arrangements are, but it is pretty extreme throughout that area. No one I know here needs anywhere close to a million dollars to cover their expenses, but it is still quite expensive.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In my area of SC, minimum wage is currently 13.25 an hour (expected to go up soon), which is way better than a few years ago. Not sure about the leadership positions or pay grades you are talking about, but I would hope it would be proportional, because can be extremely expensive to live here.

It can really depend on where they are locating to or what your living arrangements are, but it is pretty extreme throughout that area. No one I know here needs anywhere close to a million dollars to cover their expenses, but it is still quite expensive.
So I may end up transferring to a SC small format store. Where I'm moving is only 200 more than what I'm paying here in rent, so no I won't need 10,000 in savings it isn't Beverly Hills. I just want to know if my pay will be bumped because in Texas my pay is considered alot but out there it won't be so I just need to know if it's normal for them to adjust due to COL.

$13 is the minimum at Target in CA.

ETA:
If you get stuck somewhere like the Inland Empire, it's really cheap to live there. It's probably 140 degrees there too today.

So I may end up transferring to a SC small format store. Where I'm moving is only 200 more than what I'm paying here in rent, so no I won't need 10,000 in savings it isn't Beverly Hills. I just want to know if my pay will be bumped because in Texas my pay is considered alot but out there it won't be so I just need to know if it's normal for them to adjust due to COL.
I personally don't know but I can try asking some people tomorrow. In general, I suspect the pay would be more, but if they don't even bother mentioning it at all, that might not be a good sign. If it is in a smaller area, then I think you will be fine regardless. Certain things will just be a little more expensive. There can be really cheap living arrangements outside of somewhere really dense like LA county and San Diego for instance.

$13 is the minimum at Target in CA.

ETA:
If you get stuck somewhere like the Inland Empire, it's really cheap to live there. It's probably 140 degrees there too today.
It is 13.50 where I live and apparently it is suppose to go up to about 14.25 soon. Probably not completely relevant to OP as they are in a higher pay grade.

Your current pay should go with you. Hopefully, you will tell them what you can do for them. They give you, a tl job with more pay.