Archived performance managing someone out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss the TL contribution meetings for exactly this. I can't tell you how many times one TL would tell us Sally Sue was her bottom performer and had coached her and was ready for corrective action. Then the very next TL would say Sally Sue was her top performer. I really think part of it is different expectations especially at closing. On any given week you can have a team member getting direction from a different TL every night.While one TL may focus on an impeccable zone, the next might focus on service. So a team member may respond to every single backup which TL #2 thinks is great, TL#1 might think they don't know how to zone. A team member should never ever be surprised they are going on corrective action. Although you don't need to say "this is a coaching" your conversation should be direct with actual goals. Some TLs miss that part. You can't just say "you zone too slow". Instead zone with them for a few minutes. You would be surprised by what causes someone to be a slow zoner. Once you see where hangups are, show them the quick way. Then give them a goal -you should say by 8pm you should be through B aisles. Check in to see how they are doing. Recognize them for improvement. Its amazing how many team members can be course corrected. Its expensive to hire and train team members. The goal is to keep the ones you hired. I think way too many people expect new team members to come in and know how to do everything perfectly within a month. We suck at training. Sure its great lip service but no hours to back it up. We throw new team members to the wolves. A cashier shift, shadowing someone for a shift on the sales floor and then poof! you're on your own. But half of the shadowing shift was spent back up cashiering the rest was working with someone who has no idea how to train someone and was simply the person who happened to be working.
That's why I'm glad I'm the only TL that my team reports to. Same expectations for all of them with no one changing it on the fly for them.

Shadowing? LOL That wouldn't work at my DC, I don't know of a single person in admin who could do a production job.

Coaching is not totally transformed in the company and is something positive now. If you are writing multiple pdds, 3 on the same behavior is enough to start corrective action. Have other TLs also start writing anything they observe. Give feedback on how to improver performance. If they don't act on it, it's on them. You are only as good as your team, and how confident are you going into 4th quarter with this team member on board?

If you show them the road to success and they still don't get to where you need them to be, don't feel bad to do your job and performance them out. It took me almost a year to performance someone out but it only took that long because each step I was hoping they would improve and come back stronger but they didn't and I had to make that decision, do I want to continue giving this person chances or do I want their poor performance to affect the overall performance of my team and workcenter and lose good TMs in the process? It's not worth it.

Or you just want to get rid of them for personal reasons and so it doesn't matter what they do.
Perfomancing someone out can come from a lot of places.
Doing it "right" only means it cant be challenged in court.

Or you just want to get rid of them for personal reasons and so it doesn't matter what they do.
Perfomancing someone out can come from a lot of places.
Doing it "right" only means it cant be challenged in court.
Some times you have no choice but to performance someone out. It doesn't make you a bad person.

Some times you have no choice but to performance someone out. It doesn't make you a bad person.

I have had to fire people who could not or would not do the job they were hired to do and it is incredibly hard.
Actually the ones who wouldn't do the job, not so hard, the poor, sweet girl who just could not figure out how to get out ketchup to pour from one bottle to another was really hard.

But as someone who was performanced out for all the wrong reasons (my epilepsy made the STL uncomfortable about the position I held) lets just say, there are a lot of times when being performanced out is used for evil.

I have had to fire people who could not or would not do the job they were hired to do and it is incredibly hard.
Actually the ones who wouldn't do the job, not so hard, the poor, sweet girl who just could not figure out how to get out ketchup to pour from one bottle to another was really hard.

But as someone who was performanced out for all the wrong reasons (my epilepsy made the STL uncomfortable about the position I held) lets just say, there are a lot of times when being performanced out is used for evil.
I'm sure there are those who abuse it but I don't. When I had to let go of this problematic TM, it sucked, I hated knowing I had to issue her corrective action because of how uncomfortable the situation was for the both of us and the day I let her go sucked but it had to be done. I would never target someone just for kicks.

I'm sure there are those who abuse it but I don't. When I had to let go of this problematic TM, it sucked, I hated knowing I had to issue her corrective action because of how uncomfortable the situation was for the both of us and the day I let her go sucked but it had to be done. I would never target someone just for kicks.
This. Sometimes I go into a meeting thinking "why the fuck are you so stupid?", other times I'm in between a "I'm going to hate this conversation more than you" and a "I'm really sorry..." It sucks.

Usually by the time it would have come to a termination, the TM has quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back