Archived Performancing OutI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheQuietStorm

ETL GM & Food
So to preface I’m a Food team leader. Had about 18 tms on my team when I started 2 months ago. Now down to 13 due to NCNS & quitting.

There’s a couple of people on my team that I’d rather not have on it for various reasons (constant cell phone use, no sense of urgency , attendance , slow, don’t care about job, etc ect.)

I’ve tried to work with these people but now I’m at the point where I’ve realized they aren’t going to change.

My questions to other leaders here is, how do I go about performancing someone out?

I’ve had other leaders in my store speak about it briefly but it’s kind of hush hush on how it’s done .

I know leaders do it and yes it might suck but it’s a part of the job I guess.

Any help is appreciated

It's all about the paperwork.
You record every step and you ding them for every damned thing that you can.
Make sure that every spot is filled out and that you fill out all the forms perfectly.
Follow the steps for coaching and appearing to be making an effort to correct the TM's behavior.
Make sure you use all the right buzzwords, lack of urgency, etc.
Disregard any attempts on the part of the TM to change the behavior or work with you.
Be as cold, distant and precise as possible.
You should be able to get them out in a couple of months.

Attendence is the easiest to get them. But on their cell phone? Loafing g , right to CCA, there's a template for it on workbench. Ask your leader what your store policy is as far as performance. It needs to be immediate course correction .we need 2 ppds before we go to CCA. For performance, walk their zones and combine it with lack of urgency. Once they are on multiple finals, we don't even need to pdd, next offense is termination. Hope that helps a little

Best answers have been said already but yes - make a consistent paper trail.
It can sound unfair and cruel but I can go as far as to start coaching for every minor things and nearly shadow this person to catch them when they slip up. However if I'm doing this to you then you have certainly earned it. I've only really had to use this strategy on two different team members in my time. This is only if I really see them as not being able to be turned into a good positive team member.

Ideally though you want to document repeat offenses and all your previous coachings/corrective actions regarding that same issue.

Generally though I will coach someone on an issue and it will go away. If it doesn't I'll have a discussion as Yeti posted and I'll tell them that it isn't being documented (and I generally won't document this kind of discussion) but I'll tell them that further actions will be documented and I will begin a process of corrective action that will lead to their termination if I complete that process and it's up to them to change it. This is where it either finally changes or I begin performancing them out.

Work with your HR ETL and tell them what you want to do. I’ve had a couple I’ve attenoted to do and have all the paper work but my HR is too nice and just keeps giving me the “I’ll need to take partners and see what we can do” then nothing comes of it. I have better luck sitting them down and being real with them. You well within your rights to just say “you have two weeks to turn it around or find another job” and they either quit or fix whatever it is.

The easiest way is loafing. Anything that involves them not working (cell phone use, talking to other team members/family/friends, staring at the ceiling when things need to be done). Loafing is an auto CA which lasts six months. Second time you catch them it's a final which lasts a year. Third time its a term. We had someone that all team members would complain about but other ETL's/TL's wouldn't do anything since they were difficult. It wasn't until I issued the first CA for taking 10 minutes to push 6 items that other leaders decided to jump on board.... which is bad considering I'm AP and not involved in their workcenter at all. Afterwards another leader watched them clock in then sit down and eat breakfast which lead to a final. Not sure what the term was on but it was either loafing or multiple violations. The best thing you can do is partner with your HR, tell them whats going on and see where you are at based on prior coaching's/ca's.

When it comes to loafing, most of the time you can't directly issue a CA since it needs to be approved. In that situation you have a PDD, get their side of things, then tell them that you have to take additional partners. Same thing for a final.

The easiest way is loafing. Anything that involves them not working (cell phone use, talking to other team members/family/friends, staring at the ceiling when things need to be done). Loafing is an auto CA which lasts six months. Second time you catch them it's a final which lasts a year. Third time its a term. We had someone that all team members would complain about but other ETL's/TL's wouldn't do anything since they were difficult. It wasn't until I issued the first CA for taking 10 minutes to push 6 items that other leaders decided to jump on board.... which is bad considering I'm AP and not involved in their workcenter at all. Afterwards another leader watched them clock in then sit down and eat breakfast which lead to a final. Not sure what the term was on but it was either loafing or multiple violations. The best thing you can do is partner with your HR, tell them whats going on and see where you are at based on prior coaching's/ca's.

When it comes to loafing, most of the time you can't directly issue a CA since it needs to be approved. In that situation you have a PDD, get their side of things, then tell them that you have to take additional partners. Same thing for a final.
Idk if you’ve chatted with your HR lately but last I check loafing is not a corrective. Also the new policy is if a TM gets 3 correctives in a 12 month period any additional behavior that would normally result in another corrective would be termination so that would mean you need to mess up 4 times to get fired

Idk if you’ve chatted with your HR lately but last I check loafing is not a corrective. Also the new policy is if a TM gets 3 correctives in a 12 month period any additional behavior that would normally result in another corrective would be termination so that would mean you need to mess up 4 times to get fired
Loafing is a corrective action and also doesn’t need to be approved by your HR. It’s one of the few CAs that don’t need HR approval.

Is there a place on Workbench that lists all auto CA offenses? I’m not too familiar with the processes & paper trails.

Is there a place on Workbench that lists all auto CA offenses? I’m not too familiar with the processes & paper trails.

I don't think it's on workbench but your HR should have a binder for correctives in her office. In the very front it lists different correct actions to take for different offenses, usually dependent on the severity and intentions of a TM. As a TL you shouldn't have a problem getting access to it.

There is now... it took some digging but there’s a bunch of job aids for work day on workbench. Just search CA job aid and it’s in there somewhere. I downloaded it and put it in my One Drive. You could also ask HR to see the CA binder and it’ll have them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back