Archived Phone Interview for Team Leader Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeautyGirl

Beauty & Tech Lead
Tomorrow I'm going to get a call from I'm assuming the dtl (I wasn't told) for a new team lead position at my store. My etl hr has coached me a couple times for the interview, but this was in person. Has anyone had a phone interview for a tl position? What was it like? I'm worried I won't be able to make as good of an impression over the phone versus in person. I know I need to cover what makes me a good leader (especially since I haven't held a leadership position before), how I influence the team, how I drive sales, etc. How do I really win them over on the phone and move on to an in person interview?
Side note: I've only been with Target for a year and although my etl and etl hr think I'd be great and I think I have what it takes, I'm not sure my dtl will take me seriously because of the short period of time I've been with the company.

What TL position is this?
I thought TL positions had interviews with ETL+STL....... thats how I was promoted my DtL didn’t even know I existed..

Sometimes the DTL interviews are rather informal but my ETLs that groomed me preached on the "elevator speech" which is basically an introduction to your life and what your goals are. I know when I went in for a DTL interview, it was merely a meet and greet type situation. Same with STL of the store I was chosen to go to. The only interview I had to really know answers to was with my BP. I initially had a phone interview with my BP at the time and it was merely just a quick interview going over what the position is like and such and setting up a time to meet. In a sense, the decision to sign me on was already pre-determined, they just wanted to ensure I was prepared for the interviews.

What TL position is this?
I thought TL positions had interviews with ETL+STL....... thats how I was promoted my DtL didn’t even know I existed..
Not entirely sure, it's a new position and my etl wasn't allowed to talk about it. He spilled a little bit about it because he's not good at keeping secrets and it seems like it's going to be a beauty team leader. I basically have to do this phone interview not entirely knowing what the team lead position is. My etl said he could tell me more afterwards.

I had a phone interview once with a different company. I was TOTALLY prepared with note cards in front of me !!! I had brief "scenarios" on note cards; statistics on note cards; buzz words re: company strategies on another card; ideas to drive sales and Lead a Team; etc, etc..... I had my resume in front of me as well. It kept me on track.... and I was able to answer quickly without the awkward "Um...." and the long silence that can follow.

*Also..... take your phone interview in a quiet place in your home, with good reception. You don't want background noise: No loud TV, music, dog barking, etc. You don't want to be distracted by anything, either.... a child tugging at your sleeve, doorbell ringing, etc. Make sure your phone is fully charged too. :)

Smile as you speak....... You can truly "hear" the difference. Good Luck !

Hey, I don’t have any real advice but good luck to you! I’m sure you’ll do great.

So I had the interview, it seemed to go well. It did end up being with the dtl. She seemed to like my answers, but also was kind of awkward at times. She said she'd contact my etl and that he'd speak with me about it, so hopefully it's good.

Another follow up: they gave me the position which i have officially found out it is in fact a beauty and tech team leader pilot position

Are you in one of these pilot stores?
Yup, but I haven't heard much other than confirming that we are doing the pilot. My etl is going to sit down with me tomorrow and go over stuff.

For PMT as an external hire I did a brief phone interview with an ETL HR, a full phone interview with my PMBP, a phone interview with an ETL HR from a different store than the first one, then an in person interview/walk with my PMBP and PMD after shadowing another PMT for an hour or so. When I finally went to my store for an offer it was more of an informal introduction with my ETL HR and ETL SF.

I’ve been told I’ve had one of the strangest on boardings anyone heard of but it worked out.

I just wanted to share my goofy story. Since you’re part of the pilot I’m sure your DTL just wants you to be onboard with the program and willing to initiate change in a department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back