Archived Phrases heard over the Walkie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there some rule that if someone asks someone else to go to another channel, nobody else should also switch over to listen in?

The rule is called "common courtesy." No, you probably won't be coached for switching channels to eavesdrop on conversations (we had an ETL who did it often), but it doesn't behoove you to do so. The conversation doesn't involve you, and may even be private which is why those TMs are switching channels, so the whole store doesn't get to hear Suzy ask the ETL-HR about her schedule, or Bobby telling the ETL-AP about a suspicious guest.

You are being paid to work on whatever tasks you have, not to eavesdrop.

I don't know anyone who has a walkie who doesn't immediately switch channels. Really. Nobody doesn't listen. The best is when it's "Hey, LOD, what's your location?" "Im at G39." "OK, I'll be right over."

And then half the salesfloor is at G39 trying to find out what's going on.

What, no drama at your store? BORING!

Sometimes initials make a name. Some Canadian stores experiencing ...new... guests are adopting things like NG ('Nasty Guest'), so if "Hey, Angie, can you meet me in <aisle>, Angie to <aisle> please" is heard, some guest is about to experience an ETL or above explaining to them "The liquidators set the prices not us, all sales are final, and if you don't stop swearing right now you'll be asked to leave the store and never come back".

As has been explained to TMs, a big advantage of using a code rather than just 'Can I get assistance in <aisle>?' is that they know they're coming in with armour up, attitude on, ready to defend the TM.

True that.

ARRRRRRRRR :mad::mad::mad: Oh Man :mad::mad::mad: COME ON COME ON. <CHR-PLUNK>. THANK GOD. <FLUSHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh>

I'm not saying that on the walkie.

Our TPS team is probably is the best out there. They call code purple when there's a good looking female, and code
Blue for good looking male.
However in serious infractions such as theft or what not, we usually call "hardlines 4, to cover our break" where ever we are. And they are stealthy present.

TRUE GENDER EQUALITY.

I remember this thread. We're almost to the part where it goes: See I did the whole thing for you and saved the trouble!

It wasn't going there until you mentioned a derail.

Is there some rule that if someone asks someone else to go to another channel, nobody else should also switch over to listen in?

There was a TM at my store who used to do that pretty much every single time. He didn't even stop whatever he was doing...just reached down, flipped the channel, kept working, then flipped back when they were done...All without saying a word or acknowledging it at all.

I did that once when I first started and overheard a conversation about how the dumpster out back was on fire again.

I don't know anyone who has a walkie who doesn't immediately switch channels. Really. Nobody doesn't listen. The best is when it's "Hey, LOD, what's your location?" "Im at G39." "OK, I'll be right over."

And then half the salesfloor is at G39 trying to find out what's going on.

What, no drama at your store? BORING!

"LOD to guest services please" is an excellent time for me to decide "I should go take my reshop and defects up there!"

We don't have a special code for our CO delivery. We just say "LOD to 239, please" on the walkie.

What does the Indyme lady saying "THIS IS YOUR GIFT CARD REPLENISHMENT REMINDER WHO IS RESPONDING" mean and how is it triggered.

At my store, it goes off every day at 10:00AM. It's supposed to remind the team to make sure that gift cards are replenished throughout the store (since they're not replenished automatically like regular merchandise via the CAFs). Since the indyme isn't time-sensitive like the call button indymes, nobody really pays any attention to it, but the GSTLs and GSAs are responsible for filling gift cards every day.

We don't have a special code for our CO delivery. We just say "LOD to 239, please" on the walkie.

At my store, it goes off every day at 10:00AM. It's supposed to remind the team to make sure that gift cards are replenished throughout the store (since they're not replenished automatically like regular merchandise via the CAFs). Since the indyme isn't time-sensitive like the call button indymes, nobody really pays any attention to it, but the GSTLs and GSAs are responsible for filling gift cards every day.

I honestly thought it was a secret-code-indyme for the cash office.

I honestly thought it was a secret-code-indyme for the cash office.

Well, under most circumstances, the person working in 239 should be done by 10:00, so it would make sense. But then again, our Dunbar guy comes at all different times.

I miss hearing "Change needed" over the walkies even though it was like 7 years ago. And I haven't heard "Urgent workbench message pending" in a while, did they get rid of that too? I haven't heard "Restroom checkup is complete" or "TESTING 12345 54321" in a while either; guess the button's broken... again.

Last edited:

There was a TM at my store who used to do that pretty much every single time. He didn't even stop whatever he was doing...just reached down, flipped the channel, kept working, then flipped back when they were done...All without saying a word or acknowledging it at all.

There is a rule under walkie etiquette but it's ignored oftentimes at my store, especially if someone is asked to ch. 4 which is the unofficial "shit's about to go down" channel. I only switch when I'm in a certain department and that department is asked to 3. Ex. "Electronics, 3 please" when I'm photo/electronics. I go to 3 because I'm in that department as well.

I miss hearing "Change needed" over the walkies even though it was like 7 years ago. And I haven't heard "Urgent workbench message pending" in a while, did they get rid of that too? I haven't heard "Restroom checkup is complete" or "TESTING 12345 54321" in a while either; guess the button's broken... again.

Our restroom buttons still say "Restroom checkup is complete" as well as the annoying "This is your restroom checkup reminder" and "Restroom follow-up is needed." I'm tempted to reprogram a button in the store to "Attention LOD, there is an urgent workbench message pending." and hit it. There's a big list of all the codes I have bookmarked and what they say beyond the one on Workbench. Additional cashiers to the Colorado lanes for example, that can be programmed into any Indyme button (but not the red phones.)We don't get TESTING 12345 54321 or "Registry kiosk thermal paper low" anymore. I hated the thermal paper low message.

Our Giftcard reminder goes off at 10AM every Monday & Thursday. Nobody says anything unless they switch back while its going off and they hear the "who is responding" part, then they think a callbox is going off and start asking who's got it. Never heard change request indyme, only heard Guest Service guest carry-out indyme once. I was like what the heck was that? Never heard it again. And it HAS been a long time since I've heard "Attention LOD,urgent PLU pricing message board, who is responding?" And it has been YEARS since that stupid testing thing. Couldn't even talk on the walkie without being interupted.

Now that I think about it, if Carry Out is an option on the Help button, perhaps that triggers the announcement "carry out needed at lane wherever"

Now that I think about it, if Carry Out is an option on the Help button, perhaps that triggers the announcement "carry out needed at lane wherever"

It may have in the past, but now it just sends an alert to the GSTL/GSA's LPDA or MyDevice (as do the other HELP button options).

When there was a robbery at one of our neighboring stores we were told by our STL that if the suspects are in the store and we hear "Abra kadabra" over the walkie we were to go to the TSC and lock the door.

The other day we had a gsa who went over the walkie and said xxx ( name of etl at the time) I am going back to the cash office. I can honestly say inover 18 years with Spot I have never heard the phrase cash office over the walkie until then
I can not stand when the ETL GE or others says Cash office over the walkie it is such a possibly dangerous situation waiting to happen.

When there was a robbery at one of our neighboring stores we were told by our STL that if the suspects are in the store and we hear "Abra kadabra" over the walkie we were to go to the TSC and lock the door.

I imagine about 75% of my store would run out the doors if we were getting robbed.

They pick up daily cash deposits or drop off currency/coin orders.
Ours carry.
I've never seen a armored car that didn't carry. Every person in the car. Multiple states I've lived in.

You can tell when there is a new guy as we let them into the tsc hallway while they wait for the lod and they sweat every time a tm walls by them.

Too bad our door doesn't lock...

Head for TSC and lock the door? Are those people insane? If there's an armed robber in the building I am walking calmly out the nearest exit, I don't give a flying one if that's inconvenient for Target- it's by far the safest thing for me to do. Huddling up behind a closed door with every other employee is not in my best interest.

Go conversion and team member in (insert what part of the store you need) are annoying. Or go team. We are not a team.

Head for TSC and lock the door? Are those people insane? If there's an armed robber in the building I am walking calmly out the nearest exit, I don't give a flying one if that's inconvenient for Target- it's by far the safest thing for me to do. Huddling up behind a closed door with every other employee is not in my best interest.

Your store should have a meeting point outside the store for these kinds of situations. That way you can account for everybody. Usually it's another store in the shopping center.

I would haul ass to the nearest fire exit and make a run for it...and I haven't ran since the late 90s so that could be interesting :)

I flipped over (discreetly) when an ETL asked another to flip to Ch. 3 & the conversation went something like, "Hey did you set that endcap in ___?" "Yeah I'm going to grab more shelves in the fixture room."
Guess that was really important to flip channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back