"Please don't suck: movie thread

So this year appears to have some great potential for reboots but past experience (looking at you fucking "Clash of the Titans") makes me pessimistic.

However, I will still probably see these movies as soon as I can after release:

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
To be honest I didn't have much hope for this movie but this trailer looks better than both of the last FF movies so now I am cautiously optimistic

That new FF movie looks pointless. Like why do they need to keep remaking origin stories? I liked the last 2 movies. Maybe I'm not a big enough comic fan to understand.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Have to agree about origin stories.
Unless the comic is somewhat obscure like Guardians of the Galaxy, there is no frelling need to do an origin story much less another story.

Sickofspot

Integrity Queen
Anyone else see "Age of Ultron", yet? Saw it on Friday and loved it! Ultron himself was alright, but everyone else was awesome! Loved the story and action.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
I saw Age Of Ultron Friday night.
Really enjoyed it.
I'd say that the only problem was it's too short.
The original run time was something like 3.5 hours and Josh Whedon had to cut it down to 2.5 so it really feels like there is a lot coming at you very fast.
However I will be going to see it again on Wednesday and there's a good chance I'll be seeing it again after that.

G

I saw Jurassic World today and found it entertaining. Kinda gives you a nostalgic vibe. I also liked the throwbacks to the first Jurassic Park. And for all of this sexism talk in Hollywood, why isn't anyone giving Bryce Dallas Howard props for this movie? She was a bigger badass than Chris Starlord Pratt. And she also ran away from dinosaurs in high heels during the entire movie. My kind of lady.

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
Anyone else see "Age of Ultron", yet? Saw it on Friday and loved it! Ultron himself was alright, but everyone else was awesome! Loved the story and action.

I didn't hate it...but it's not a strong sequel. The whole world was in danger, yet it never once felt that way. Only the town they were in felt in danger. Also, I'm kind of tired of the "Jokester villain" thing Whedon always does. I couldn't take Ultron as seriously. I don't even understand why he's written that way. Is Ultron supposed to be like that or because that's just contamination from when he was in Tony's computers? Because his humor is similar to Tony's, it was weird. I was also completely uninterested in whatever is going on between Banner and Natasha. Don't care. I hate irrelevant love interests in movies that serve no purpose. Same thing with Guardians. WHY does there have to be some forced love interest between the Green chick and Star Lord? Can't they save the world without wanting to fuck each other? It's such a tired movie trope.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
I didn't hate it...but it's not a strong sequel. The whole world was in danger, yet it never once felt that way. Only the town they were in felt in danger. Also, I'm kind of tired of the "Jokester villain" thing Whedon always does. I couldn't take Ultron as seriously. I don't even understand why he's written that way. Is Ultron supposed to be like that or because that's just contamination from when he was in Tony's computers? Because his humor is similar to Tony's, it was weird. I was also completely uninterested in whatever is going on between Banner and Natasha. Don't care. I hate irrelevant love interests in movies that serve no purpose. Same thing with Guardians. WHY does there have to be some forced love interest between the Green chick and Star Lord? Can't they save the world without wanting to fuck each other? It's such a tired movie trope.
That was the idea of Ultron, a villain with serious daddy issues just like the comic books.
There it was Hank Pym and in the movie Tony Stark.
To match Stark, they needed to give Ultron an equally snarky personality.
You can't exactly go toe to toe with Iron Man with just missiles, you have to be able to be able to throw a few bon mots.
But yes, whose engrams do you think Tony used to make the original formats for his A.I. so wouldn't something born of that be just as twisted?
As for the love interests, the one between Gomora and Star Lord is from the comic books and I really don't have that much of a problem with the idea of of Banner and Romanov hanging out.
Of all the characters who are together that is one of the few relationships that kind of makes sense and I think they did a crap job of handling it.
Seriously, he thought she wanted a white picket fence and a normal life?
This is a woman who can break your neck with her thighs and go out for breakfast, do you think picking out drapes is on her bucket list?

G

Braniac > Ultron and you know it. Why? Because Braniac wants one thing: the knowledge and destruction of all things. Ultron wanted a human body so yep that's definitely a strike against him.

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
That was the idea of Ultron, a villain with serious daddy issues just like the comic books.
There it was Hank Pym and in the movie Tony Stark.
To match Stark, they needed to give Ultron an equally snarky personality.
You can't exactly go toe to toe with Iron Man with just missiles, you have to be able to be able to throw a few bon mots.
But yes, whose engrams do you think Tony used to make the original formats for his A.I. so wouldn't something born of that be just as twisted?
As for the love interests, the one between Gomora and Star Lord is from the comic books and I really don't have that much of a problem with the idea of of Banner and Romanov hanging out.
Of all the characters who are together that is one of the few relationships that kind of makes sense and I think they did a crap job of handling it.
Seriously, he thought she wanted a white picket fence and a normal life?
This is a woman who can break your neck with her thighs and go out for breakfast, do you think picking out drapes is on her bucket list?
See that's the thing though, the love interests are completely irrelevant to the actual story. So many movies do this, and I'm just not interested unless it's relevant to the plot. I haven't read any of these comics, so I only know them as their movies. But they really don't have to shove these concepts down your throat, it felt so unnecessarily tacked on in Guardians. It could have been a lot more subtle.

I'd like to see Natasha get her own movie, rather than her back story getting awkwardly shoved into all these other movies. Actually no...I like her story in the side movies to the Avengers. Winter Solider was a good movie for her. She kicked ass in that movie! But the Avengers is the bigger franchise, where they're all supposed to be saving the WORLD. Didn't seem like the time or place for this random love side plot.

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
I'd still like to see a Live Action Cowboy Bebop. It hasn't been scrapped yet, but it hasn't been guaranteed either.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
I think you're right that in many movies the romance is awkwardly shoehorned in for no other reason than to have it in the movie.
In GotG I'm pretty sure it's leading to something in part 2 and is part of the character development.
In Avengers, kind of the same way, they were actually using Black Widow to bring the Hulk down when they didn't need him anymore which is kind of a great idea.
So there was a trust bond developed between her and Banner that in some ways went deeper than love.
That it started to develop into something else would really be no surprise.

As to Cowboy Bebop, Hells to the Yeah.
But only if they keep the opening credits exactly as they are in the series.
There is no reason to mess with perfection.