"Please don't suck: movie thread

can't touch this

That homie over there
I watched a couple of gay indie films recently (warning: GAY)

Órói ("Jitters") - Icelandic teen movie about a gay kid who has a crush on his best friend. Pretty decent overall. The dialogue is mostly in Icelandic with subtitles but switches over to English when the characters move to the UK as exchange students.

The Mudge Boy - This one was a lot darker (spoiler alert: rape scene). It also ruined my childhood because the kid who plays the rapist also played Smalls in The Sandlot.

#1 was definitely better.

Not one mention of last year's best movie

Blade Runner 2049 was the best movie of 2017 and the original Blade Runner is the best sci-fi movie of all time. These movies are not for everybody, especially not for people that are used to Michael Bay movies with mindless action and explosions.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Blade Runner 2049 was the best movie of 2017 and the original Blade Runner is the best sci-fi movie of all time. These movies are not for everybody, especially not for people that are used to Michael Bay movies with mindless action and explosions.

I liked Blade Runner 2049 but it wasn't a perfect movie.
In fact there were better movies that year.
If we going based on genre movies, Get Out and The Shape of Water were both much tighter movies.
Both were smart, well written and acted movies that didn't wander around a landscape that had already been created for them.
If you want a sheer brain fuck Mother! was amazing.

As to Blade Runner being the best sci-fi movie of all time, I'll give you top ten.
It is an amazing movie that had massive influence on many science fiction movies after it.
However there are others that are on the same level including 2001 A Space Odyssey (I got to see it in the theater again last week and it is still stunning), Alien, and
Metropolis.

I liked Blade Runner 2049 but it wasn't a perfect movie.
In fact there were better movies that year.
If we going based on genre movies, Get Out and The Shape of Water were both much tighter movies.
Both were smart, well written and acted movies that didn't wander around a landscape that had already been created for them.
If you want a sheer brain fuck Mother! was amazing.

As to Blade Runner being the best sci-fi movie of all time, I'll give you top ten.
It is an amazing movie that had massive influence on many science fiction movies after it.
However there are others that are on the same level including 2001 A Space Odyssey (I got to see it in the theater again last week and it is still stunning), Alien, and
Metropolis.
Get Out was great, Shape of Water was ok.
My top 5 movies of 2017:
1.Blade Runner 2049
2.Get Out
3.Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
4.Molly's Game
5.War for The Planet of the Apes

My top 10 sci-fi movies of all time:
1.Blade Runner
2.Alien
3.Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
4.Star Wars: A New Hope
5.Terminator 2: Judgement Day