"Please don't suck: movie thread

can't touch this

Store Meme Leader
I watched a couple of gay indie films recently (warning: GAY)

Órói ("Jitters") - Icelandic teen movie about a gay kid who has a crush on his best friend. Pretty decent overall. The dialogue is mostly in Icelandic with subtitles but switches over to English when the characters move to the UK as exchange students.

The Mudge Boy - This one was a lot darker (spoiler alert: rape scene). It also ruined my childhood because the kid who plays the rapist also played Smalls in The Sandlot.

#1 was definitely better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not a movie but Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia for the Netflix adaptation of the Witcher?

Really?

Not one mention of last year's best movie

Blade Runner 2049 was the best movie of 2017 and the original Blade Runner is the best sci-fi movie of all time. These movies are not for everybody, especially not for people that are used to Michael Bay movies with mindless action and explosions.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Blade Runner 2049 was the best movie of 2017 and the original Blade Runner is the best sci-fi movie of all time. These movies are not for everybody, especially not for people that are used to Michael Bay movies with mindless action and explosions.

I liked Blade Runner 2049 but it wasn't a perfect movie.
In fact there were better movies that year.
If we going based on genre movies, Get Out and The Shape of Water were both much tighter movies.
Both were smart, well written and acted movies that didn't wander around a landscape that had already been created for them.
If you want a sheer brain fuck Mother! was amazing.

As to Blade Runner being the best sci-fi movie of all time, I'll give you top ten.
It is an amazing movie that had massive influence on many science fiction movies after it.
However there are others that are on the same level including 2001 A Space Odyssey (I got to see it in the theater again last week and it is still stunning), Alien, and
Metropolis.

I liked Blade Runner 2049 but it wasn't a perfect movie.
In fact there were better movies that year.
If we going based on genre movies, Get Out and The Shape of Water were both much tighter movies.
Both were smart, well written and acted movies that didn't wander around a landscape that had already been created for them.
If you want a sheer brain fuck Mother! was amazing.

As to Blade Runner being the best sci-fi movie of all time, I'll give you top ten.
It is an amazing movie that had massive influence on many science fiction movies after it.
However there are others that are on the same level including 2001 A Space Odyssey (I got to see it in the theater again last week and it is still stunning), Alien, and
Metropolis.
Get Out was great, Shape of Water was ok.
My top 5 movies of 2017:
1.Blade Runner 2049
2.Get Out
3.Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
4.Molly's Game
5.War for The Planet of the Apes

My top 10 sci-fi movies of all time:
1.Blade Runner
2.Alien
3.Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
4.Star Wars: A New Hope
5.Terminator 2: Judgement Day
6.Back to The Future
7.Jurassic Park
8.Interstellar
9.The Matrix
10.Inception

phibot

When in doubt, vendor it out
For me Blade Runner was particularly impressive because hollywood loves to remake and reboot lately. Blade Runner is a sequel decades later that didn't fall flat on its own face like almost every other example does

can't touch this

Store Meme Leader
The whole point of Philip K Dick’s novel was exploring the contrast between faith vs. nihilism (Mercerism, a religion that centers on empathy vs. androids who can’t experience empathy and loathe people who do) while the movie dumbed it down into a boring ass love story and cut out a fuck ton of the novel’s more interesting elements. In the novel, most animals have gone extinct and the few that still exist are hugely expensive, and Deckard spends a big chunk of his income to buy a goat because he likes the experience of caring for a living animal. Rachel later shoves the goat off a roof and kills it because she’s a spiteful android cunt without the uniquely human capacity for empathy.

The funniest part of the novel is the character Buster Friendly, an android who hosts a talk show that airs 24/7 where he does nothing but snark at Mercerism with shitty jokes. I find that funny because PKD literally predicted John Oliver and Bill Maher decades in advance.

The first BR was notable only because of its appealing visuals and top tier score by Vangelis. Story wise it’s not very thought provoking. The remake is BADASS GIRL SEX BOTS KICKING ASS, which is personally not my cup of tea. Anyways I highly recommend reading the novel.

Formina Sage

Probably still better than you at the stacker
Staff member
Administrator
Just watched Oceans 8. Underwhelmed. There were like no tensions at all during the heist. It went too perfectly, it was boring. And I miss all the subtle humor that was present in the original trilogy.

Formina Sage

Probably still better than you at the stacker
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone see A Star Is Born? Sobfest

phibot

I think it's safe to assume that Rogue One and Solo exist to explain shit that happens in TLJ.

Hyperspace tracking has never been in the series, at least in Disneywars until Rogue One makes mention that the Empire is developing it in a throwaway line.

Fuel is never something that is mentioned as being a scarcity, or even a commodity at all, until TLJ used it as a plot device and Solo's climax centered around it.

Specifically focusing on Rogue One and hyperspace tracking though, Jyn mentions it, but in TLJ, everyone is surprised when Hux uses it. It's implied that Snoke isn't even aware that it's a thing his own ship has until Hux says so off screen.

At the end of Rogue One, Leia lightspeeds away from Scarif to Tattooine to find Obi-Wan..and everyone knows the rest.

How did Darth Vader find Leia if hyperspace tracking isn't a thing until the sequel trilogy timeframe?

TLDR - Disney was the worst thing to happen to Star Wars

can't touch this

Store Meme Leader
Everything Disney makes or touches is garbage and they ought to be broken up. Divest everything and invalidate all their trademarks. Yes I said it.

I’ve honestly never liked them. Even as a kid watching their stuff annoyed me because every 2 seconds the characters break out into some annoying ass song that always has to be as sappy and saccharine as possible. Mickey Mouse is probably the most annoying fictional character ever created.

I wasn’t allowed to watch the Disney channel as a kid but when I visited a friend and checked it out, I discovered that I wasn’t missing anything. My friend’s sister liked to watch Lizzie McGuire and it made me want to kms. It has only gotten worse since then.

phibot

I'm usually all for companies going crazy and doing what they want unless they're pouring biohazards into the water supply and such

But in the case of Disney and Google and a few others, some are getting to be a bit too big