Archived Poll: Your store's reshop process

How "modernized" is your store's reshop process? Do you keep carts or bins at GS to sort into?

• No bins/carts. We don't have reshop at GS. SalesfloorTMs come up for every return/every 30 min.

• Maybe one bin/cart, with everything mixed. We usually have some reshop at GS. It works okay.

• One bin/cart, jumbled mess. We still have large amounts of reshop. It's not working at all.

• We tried no carts, but it wasn't working. We have a few separate bins/carts again.

• We've always had separate bins/carts thank you very much. It works great.

• We've always had separate bins/carts. It doesn't work that well.

• None of the above.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So. Apparently one of things Spot decided "needed to be modernized" was our conventional system of reshop, where several carts were kept behind a half-wall at guest services, and items were sorted into salesfloor departments. (I've heard some stores used plastic bins instead of carts, but for the sake of this poll, lets consider them the same.) With modernization however, stores are being instructed to no longer divide up reshop, but to instead have salefloor TMs come up front more frequently, so that reshop doesn't "have a chance to pile up."

I know, this is old news and already mentioned in other threads. However... I keep seeing remodeled stores that seem to have the half-wall layout in tact... (with what looks like just enough space for a row of carts)... Is it just that those specific remodels didn't include the front end? Was this new system only ever rolled out to half of the stores? Have some stores tried the new method, then reverted back to the old method?

We’ve always had plastic bins to divide it up into departments. I do think carts is way faster, cutting out the step to transfer from bin to cart but hey carts are for guests.
It’s works but it doesn’t help when there’s nobody to sort reshop carts into the bins because of the line at guest service. Our salesfloor seems to be low on people so they’re shoving sorted reshop carts in our backroom. New modernization rule is no reshop carts on the salesfloor so the guest sees we’re not working. Guest come first and God forbid they see us doing tasks.

Most of our reshop comes from the check lanes and so we tried this thing where we would collect it all every hour and call someone from the floor to get it. It worked great until after the holidays when we had no hours because there was no way the team leads would come do it.

When I started in 2016, we had a wall of bins that were broken out into sub-sections. For example, one bin for chemicals, one bin for personal care and cosmetics, one for health and wellness items. When the front end was slow, or if a couple bins filled up, we would then transfer the contents to a guest cart to be reshopped by a cashier or a salesfloor TM. Softlines came up periodically to collect their own, and if their bins got full, we'd call them up. The bins were opaque, squared, and fit nicely into the cubby holes of the shelving unit. It looked organized. The only times guests could see merch on that wall was when we had oversized stuff that wouldn't fit into a bin, and it was only there until we had enough of a lull at the desk to be able to push out a cart.

About a year ago, they ripped out the wall of bins and gave us a row of guest carts instead. This combined all of the subsections of a block into a single cart - so now all of chemical, personal, cosmetics, and healthcare are being dumped into a single cart. Everything is visible and it looks like crap. And those carts aren't being moved as often, because it takes longer to fill them, which also means it takes longer for someone to work them out. Especially chemical/HBA because of smaller pieces. They also take up more floor space than the wall of bins did, which means less room to move around behind the desk, which in turn actually makes it harder to get carts in and out of the available space.

After a few months, they moved the OPU Metro shelves and bins (clear Sterilite that hang out from the front of the Metro rack, and the OPU bags all stick out the tops of the bins) to the desk, but larger OPU items were still stored in the TSC. Then they added a Z-rack for softlines. Then they added another Metro for folded softlines in place of a guest cart. So now GS has become garage sale chic. Instead of a nice uniform "look" and easy access, we have a whole bunch of different styles of storage, we're tripping over ourselves, and it's just ugly.

Our remodel from last year does not include the half wall. There is very little space behind guest service.

Most of our reshop comes from the check lanes and so we tried this thing where we would collect it all every hour and call someone from the floor to get it. It worked great until after the holidays when we had no hours because there was no way the team leads would come do it.
Ditto.
We also sorted softlines into folded stacks in the cart; items on hangers were hung on the handle.
If there wasn't anyone to retrieve the cart, we'd send a cashier out to drop off carts in the respective depts.

New modernization rule is no reshop carts on the salesfloor so the guest sees we’re not working. Guest come first and God forbid they see us doing tasks.
This. So much this.

Yeah we just don't have enough people on the floor most days for this to work. Our HL TL regularly has to do mid-day reshop. He loves it. Especially when he's already up to his eyeballs in salesplanners.

When I started in 2016, we had a wall of bins that were broken out into sub-sections. For example, one bin for chemicals, one bin for personal care and cosmetics, one for health and wellness items. ... The bins were opaque, squared, and fit nicely into the cubby holes of the shelving unit. It looked organized. The only times guests could see merch on that wall was when we had oversized stuff that wouldn't fit into a bin, and it was only there until we had enough of a lull at the desk to be able to push out a cart.
This sounds like such a beautiful approach! I'm sorry they took it away. :(

Our remodel from last year does not include the half wall. There is very little space behind guest service.
Dammit.

I should take this as a sign to stop holding out hope they'll reverse it. But I'm stubborn so I'll just try to cling to the knowledge that spot constantly changes things, sometimes even in the right direction.

they have a tier cart, back where the fulfillment shelving is, for “everything.” they call when it starts to get full, which appears to be every nine seconds.

what I want to know is what they will do when fourth quarter hits. I remember, one Sunday, asking the folks who closed the night before about the training room completely full of reshop carts. they were like, “yeah, we all stayed over two hours to work it down to twenty carts.”

I wonder if Targets in Japan have a reshop problem? oQDG7FJ.jpg

My store has bins at Guest Service and we are supposed to collect reshop at the checklanes every hour depending on how busy we are at the time. We call out to the team leaders when we are picking up at the lanes and when it is ready for them to collect.
The issue for us has been that no one comes to collect (i.e. pick up) reshop in a timely manner and we are either left with a cart of reshop at the lanes or carts of reshop at Guest Service. The typical response from the sales floor is, ‘I’ll be up in a minute’ and they never show.
On days where I am staffed well enough at the front I will have a cashier help with reshop throughout the day/evening. On days when that is not an option, we have to wait until a sales floor team member is available or take the reshop to Guest Service as we are speed weaving.
But reshop at Guest Sevice is another thing altogether. My store has no room for carts anymore, and it has really been a tough transition. Our direction has been to not have any carts staged at Guest Sevice. And it is a struggle to keep it that way every day. Just looking at from the front of store perception, it seems like reshop is an ‘out of sight, out of mind’ issue unless an LOD makes it one in my store.

We had bins behind a half wall until they finished remodeling GS, now we have carts along one of the walls in the back room behind the service desk (out of sight of guests). I think there are 5-6 carts for the major departments, then electronics, beauty, dollar spot, checklanes, etc. get small bins along another wall.

I mentioned the idea of sales floor coming up to get returns and the GSTM I talked to just about fell over. We get a steady stream of returns and they'd need to add 2 TMs just to be able to do reshop like that and still get anything done on the floor. As it is they want to add paper, chem and baby hardlines to the HL load and my TL flipped out. We can barely keep the place from falling apart is it is, without paper & chem (both very high turnover areas that need a lot of work), to add another department would be killer without at least one, if not two more TMs to close. We rarely have anyone during the day.

I wish we'd go back to the separate carts way of doing it. (We have so many carts, the only time the supply gets low is during Q4 and that's not because they're all being used, just that they need to collected from the parking lot or from around the store.) For a while, we used separate bins instead of carts and that was pretty good too. Now, we have 1 triple-tier for everything except soft lines, which has a separate bin. Re-shopping that triple tier is not always so easy.

My store we have reshop carts at Register 17/18 (Which isn't used), We have carts for A/B (Beauty and stat/kitchen), C/D (Domestics), E (Toys), Seasonal and Market but sometimes they sort stat/kitchen into it's own cart. A bin for Cosmetics, A small bin for American Greeting Cards only, One for pets, one for softlines, one for one spot and one for checklanes. Then there is two carts at GS one is softlines and the other is for hardlines which get's sorted into the carts at checklane 18. For electronics, there is a bin at Guest Service, but somehow it tends to land in the toy cart.

We have three carts at Guest Service: one downstairs hardlines, one downstairs softlines, and one for upstairs stuff (sometimes the first two carts are merged). When a cart is full the Guest Service TM calls for that workcenter to grab their reshop cart at their earliest convenience. Whoever grabs a cart from Guest Service takes it to the backroom and is supposed to sort it into a number of 3 tiers that are labeled with laminated paper signs.

I think the system might actually be better than the old one. There's just more space to sort, and we don't have to deal with the craziness of sorting all the reshop at the end of the day when Guest Service gets swamped and doesn't have time to sort it themselves. I think the new system might be better organized. On the flip side, now when Guest Service is slow, they just stand there (often on their phone), because they have nothing to do. Whereas before they always had something to be doing. Realistically, though, as in-store pickup has become more popular, I think more guests go to Guest Service, so it kind of makes sense.

Of all the large changes Target has made in the time I've worked here, the reshop change is probably one of the more sensible ones, at least as manifested at my store. When they first rolled out the change, though, they tried to force everyone to push out any reshop they find as soon as they find it, and they did not allow reshop to gather in carts in the backroom, even if they were sorted. This was absolutely insane, and thankfully they dropped that stupid idea within a couple weeks.

We put bins into two three-tiers/smart carts that are labelled for each block. We use to do it by cart behind guest service but did away. It seems to work as long as people are grabbing their reshop frequently.

Honestly I'm shocked how many of you still have multiple carts. I was distinctly given the impression all (or almost all) stores were doing away with them, and if anything, mine was behind the ball. Maybe my district actually can come to their senses and go back to the efficient way! :rolleyes:

Honestly I'm shocked how many of you still have multiple carts. I was distinctly given the impression all (or almost all) stores were doing away with them, and if anything, mine was behind the ball. Maybe my district actually can come to their senses and go back to the efficient way! :rolleyes:
We use one tiered cart for all departments. It’s a cluster fuck and I refuse to leave electronics to go dig through it. Besides as soon as I step away from the counter, someone will need help. I always have someone bring it back to me.

I think targets goal is to get away from the multicart system. I can see them switching to multi bins though.

Compared to when I first started 3 years ago, we keep little to no reshop at GS or the FR. We went from having like three shoulder hangs in the FR full all the time, to having a small rack (not a z-rack) in the FR and one three tier instead of a bin for each department. At GS they went from having a bin for each zone to having one cart for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back