Positive Feels Thread

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
After reading buliSBI's thread about the couple who donated $12,000 worth of toys in honor of their son ( http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthr...-000-in-toys-to-honor-son?p=100626#post100626 ) I realized that this time of year we could use some positive news.

Maybe we could all share a post or two of stories that made the room a bit dusty.

This is one that killed me for a number of reasons. I was doing all right until they got to the part where the kid tells the judge that she isn't afraid because her friends are a lot scarier than the bad guy.

[video=youtube_share;QnVbQuxok0I]http://youtu.be/QnVbQuxok0I[/video]

Around two to three years ago, I was battling horrible depression and was need in some cheap therapy for myself. To occupy my time and make both myself and others feel better, I made up design in Photoshop of a picture of clouds and a bright blue sky with the words "Everything is going to be alright." printed on it and an email address on the back, went downtown in my city, and posted them random places using non-damaging adhesive (bus stops, subway stations, buildings, parking meters, etc). Did this for a few months and got around six or seven responses out of maybe 200 posted.

One of the responses was heartbreaking:

Found your photo on a bench in [park]. Having had a horrific past year (little brother killed himself, mother is a pill addict, dad's a drunk, and I'm in love with someone who will never have me), it made me inadvertently smile.

Not sure why I'm confessing these things to a stranger, but I desperately hope you're right, and everything will be okay, somehow, some way.
About a year later I got an out-of-the-blue email from someone else:

Hello, about a year ago my husband found your postcard outside his office building in [downtown business district]. We wanted to share how much it has helped us. Can you please confirm that this is still the correct address before I write at length?
What I read after still makes me sob to this day:

Last March my husband began hearing of layoffs at his work and several colleagues were slowly being let go. One morning out of the blue he called home to say he literally had 2 hours to decide whether he was going to take a different position within the company (his current position was being phased out). The hard part was that the new position would be the same pay but many more hours, weekends and the loss of the thing he loves so much outside of work: being a life coach part-time. If he said no to the new position, he would be laid off that day. We were stunned he was only given 2 hours to make such a big decision. He told his boss he needed to just go for a walk and as soon as he walked outside the building that day he saw the postcard plastered to the side of the building. He couldn't believe it because it was most unusual and he had never seen anything there before, anywhere on the building. He called me and told me about it and said you are not going to believe what happened when I left the building. We both marveled even at the quality of it. Prior to this day, my husband had been praying for some time about all this because the whole atmosphere at work was one of "who's going next?"
By the end of that day, his immediate boss went to bat for him in a grueling 3 hour meeting and fought hard to keep his position and today he still has it. This past Dec. he was set for another lay off but then the company went through a big shake up and he was told they would not be laying off any more of the people from the old group (his) without it being approved by the top levels of the company because of legal concerns (people being let go without good reason).

We keep the postcard on our fridge and it has been a comfort on many occasions. We are born-again Christians and know without a doubt that God used you/your message to comfort us on a difficult day when in the end did turn out "okay."

We just wanted to thank you and say God bless you and feel free to share our story with anyone who may need the encouragement.
Haven't done it in a long time. I think I should.

Last edited:
You know...

I complain about my job and the people I work with. The problem is I have a heart and I thought with it this time last year. I gave a team member, who has four kids and recently seperated from her husband, a 25 gift card.

Most wouldn't do that because they think she's a B****. She can be. But she's nice when she wants to be.

daninnj, would you be willing to share the image of the postcard? I leave anonymous love letters around my town and have for a long time. I don't put a return address or email address on them but now and then I hear about someone finding one and the difference it made for them. It truly makes my day. I'd love to see your postcard!

Love it! Thank you so much. Would you mind if I copy your idea for my own area? And I would love to see the actual image if you have it.

Last edited:
:::sniff::: RetailGirl, thank you! :::sniff::: I'd seen a few of those pictures before but honestly, I can't see them enough. Life can be so stressful and I try to start and end my day with good news and things that bring me warm fuzzies. Don't tell anyone but I'm just a softie.:)