Possible termination

I was working at Guest services when a lady came up and asked if someone turned in a purse(I could be mistaken but I believe she specifically said brown) so I went in the back to check and sure enough there was a brown purse there. I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to open the purse to see if there was ID or anything to verify it was hers so I took her word for it and gave it to her... turns out that she lied and it wasn’t hers. So 2 days later my ETL calls me into the office and basically says her and head of security or the main leader at the store will discuss it further but it could lead to possible termination. In my defense, 1) the floor leader was in cash office and left me(seasonal employee)and another seasonal employee by ourselves- which we barely have basic training in guest services. 2) I wasn’t yet trained on how to deal with the lost and found items. I do realize and accept responsibility that I should have taken further steps to verify it. Do you think I’ll be terminated. Thoughts/opinions?

It all depends on how well of a job you do at Target. If this is your first mess-up, I’d say you will be fine.

I don’t think you guys should look inside the purse imho anyways.Last time I did that at Target, I found uncapped needles ( I threw that shit right into the compactor).

I also asked my ETL how I could’ve verified the purse and she said I could’ve asked to open the purse and see ID and that in training videos it explains it. And our head of security said the lady is a local homeless woman who often comes around so wouldn’t u think they’d be watching her carefully if they know that much about her(just my opinion)

Whenever a purse was turned in, it was logged in the lost & found binder with any ID notations (no names, tho).
Two TMs had to be present (one was usually the GSTL) while inventorying the contents before it was put in the safe.
If someone was attempting to claim it, they usually had to give their name to match the ID (as well as doing a pic match).

The purse should have been in the safe, not lost and found.

Leadership should take the blame, not you.
No no no. Huge no no. Nothing other than then money and store use items should be in the safe. You never mix money with guest money. Cash office 101.

No no no. Huge no no. Nothing other than then money and store use items should be in the safe. You never mix money with guest money. Cash office 101.
You're right about the potential for mixing money and should not be in the actual safe, but it should have been locked in the cash office. Same reason there's a slot to drop credit cards and wallets into the cash office, so they are secure.

I’d tell them that you hadn’t been trained on how to handle lost and found items and you thought you were doing the right thing. It’s the truth, after all. That being said, I don’t know if it will help you or not, but I hope they don’t hold you responsible for their failure to properly train you before leaving you (and another barely trained seasonal hire) to sink or swim. Good luck.

You're right about the potential for mixing money and should not be in the actual safe, but it should have been locked in the cash office. Same reason there's a slot to drop credit cards and wallets into the cash office, so they are secure.
Cash office or AP office secure yes but never the safe.

actually i do believe the best practice is to keep high value lost and found in the safe. i can double check tomorrow but i’m like 85% sure. but i have two locking drawers at my service desk so i don’t bother going to the cash office every time someone loses their wallet.

actually i do believe the best practice is to keep high value lost and found in the safe. i can double check tomorrow but i’m like 85% sure. but i have two locking drawers at my service desk so i don’t bother going to the cash office every time someone loses their wallet.
Everyone should have at least 2 locking drawers at GS.

we only got one in the remodel. i had the APTL put a core in a different one of my drawers in addition. (we also only had one drawer pre remodel)
Realistically I mean one because the other drawer is the change fund but typically attached to a register. I’ve been at a small format for a while and put change fund is at guest service

Back