Archived Possible to fight my attendance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened was we had a guy at work, this happened to me about 3 diff times in a month he would take our shifts and he wouldnt show up. It counted against me n that other co worker becuase the managers signed off on the switch but they never put it in the actual system. So when he just didnt show up it hit me with the no call no shows. About 3 or 4 of them. We told hr about it and said they would talk to him. He quit the other day. But i been told that the attendance isnt fix able. I broke down trying to get to work ( smh 2015 car with only 45k miles on it) n i called to let them know n they said if i call out i will get fired n to uber cuz its not worth me getting fired over. I explained to them for me work is 30 min out n uber costs me around 23 to 24 bucks there n back. My hours r around 20 hours a week n my car payments 500 a month. Im already negative in losing money a month i have 0 bucks for uber. So im waiting for a ride who is 30 min away from my house. Can i fight those abscences that he caused me to have? Cuz im on the attendance list cause of it.

An HR person can tell you better than I can, and ASANTS, but at my store once leadership approves and signs off on a switch, the originally scheduled person is covered and the person who took the shift is responsible for working it. If leadership hasn’t signed off, the person who was originally scheduled is still responsible for working that shift. I don’t know if they can can change your attendance in the system, but since leadership failed to enter the approval for the swap in the system, that should be on them, and they shouldn’t hold you responsible for the other TM not showing up, that should be on him. Guess I’m a Luddite, but it was nice when shift swaps were done on paper, so there was hard evidence that swaps had been approved.

It was signed off on the paper but they never switched us in the schedule, the hr told me its suppose to be on them and not on me but i was told by manager that they cant fix my attendance. So if something happens and i cant show up n gotta call out ill be in trouble becuase i have all those “no call no shows” that he never showed up for . Cuz technically i was still on the schedule in the system even though it was signed off on.

Sounds like HR is on your side and needs to clarify the issue with your leader. They may not be able to “fix your attendance” in the system, but your leader knows that those NC/NSs were placed there as a result of leadership’s errors and should not consider them part of your attendance for CCA.

Absences are supposed to be classified, I take care of all of them on Mondays when I’m taking care of payroll. We can either classify is as an Absence Confirmed or a NCNS. We can also go back and submit what’s known as a historical edit. Basically changing the signed off time card. It isn’t difficult, it takes maybe 30 seconds.

We stopped using Kronos for swap shifts and rely on the paper sign offs. When I have someone absent I check it against the swap shift sheet to see if they posted their shift and had it picked up. If it was picked up but not signed off I’ll see if the other person worked it - if they did awesome I delete the original shift and move on. If it wasn’t picked up I check the closing notes to see if it was a call in or NCNS.

Every once in a while someone will be on the absences to classify list and they aren’t in the closing notes, nobody took their shift, it wasn’t posted. I follow up with the Leader to see what happened and of course they never know. I’ve let them all know several times in many, many emails that those TMs will be marked Absence Confirmed.

But I’ve been at my store and in my position longer than all of our Leaders (except our Replenishment TL) and I’m older than most of them too. I don’t let them try and tell me how I should do my job - they’ve never done my job. I’ll have my teams back every chance I get and if the ETLs have any issues with that they can do their jobs and make sure the swap shifts and done correctly and absences are all noted appropriately. I may have called one particular ETL out more than a couple of times for approving without changing.. when she would go sit at a computer I would holler at her to grab the swap shift and get them changed while she was at a computer.

After being in HR for years my suggestion would be this: ask your HR to see if the swap shifts were signed off but not changed. If that’s the case ask her to be in your corner and reclassify the absence and let the Leaders know they need to do their jobs too. If a shift has been picked up they should either sign off or let you know that your shift wasn’t picked up after all. Without getting into too many details we sometimes have to tell TMs that so they can let others know they have a shift up.

I hope you can get all of this straightened out.

On a side note, there's a special place in hell for people who say they'll pick up your shift and then no show. Ultimate dick move. If you can't/don't want to pick up the shift, just say "Sorry, I can't" and have done with it. Don't say you'll take it and then not show--it sucks for the TM who can get blamed for you being an ass in addition to screwing over your store for the shift. If you get sick or an emergency happens or whatever, that's fine, shit happens, but c'mon man, don't screw people over.

On a side note, there's a special place in hell for people who say they'll pick up your shift and then no show. Ultimate dick move. If you can't/don't want to pick up the shift, just say "Sorry, I can't" and have done with it. Don't say you'll take it and then not show--it sucks for the TM who can get blamed for you being an ass in addition to screwing over your store for the shift. If you get sick or an emergency happens or whatever, that's fine, shit happens, but c'mon man, don't screw people over.

On the other hand, my TMs were doing this on purpose.
When one TM would inevitably go on CCA for egregious attendance issues, the other TMs would just start picking up their shifts and calling in for them until they hit the attendance "limit" themselves.

Also, OP, I would suggest pushing back on this HARD, because a leader's incompetence isn't your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back