Service & Engagement Post voiding and keeping

A coworker, a regular team member, was granted the ability to do a post-void by one of the team leaders. Many times at guest services, there is no team leader around for approvals, so the more senior team members are given the ability to get approvals and stuff.

Well, soon after she was granted this ability, she paid for a laptop computer back in the electronics section. She took the computer to her car. When she was back on a register later that shift, she sneaked post voiding the receipt. The charge never showed up on her card, and she got a free laptop. Well, she stole it.

I was wondering- assuming no one noticed, is she home free? Do they check the post voids? Is this the perfect crime, or did she do a really dumb thing? And what if she did it with two items that day?

gee idk sounds like a resume-generating event to me.

In a place where cashiers can be/are termed for accepting a guest’s 5$ promo gift card, you really think AP isn’t going to look into the post void of a
- several hundred dollar
- electronics
item? Lmao target has one of the most sophisticated asset protection arms in retail. I can’t believe “she’d” be naïve enough to think “she’s” just committed the perfect crime and is home free.

to quote another internal theft thread you were just reading:
Target doesn't play around when it comes to employee theft

No, it's not. But I really like this person who it is. I hope she's ok. I tried to warn her.

We do so much volume in the store, I'm thinking they won't notice it. But the head asset protection guy reminds me of Javert from Les Miserables.

We've become very close. She's had all kinds of problems with one of the leaders, so she feels "justified" in stealing. I told her she was insane, and she's going to get caught. When she told me about the laptop, I damn near hit the roof. I don't want her to be fired, or go to prison. She's a dummy.

She's 100% going to get caught. Anytime we touch a receipt that has our discount on it, that's a HUGE red flag for AP. Even if it doesn't have her discount, they'll see the name on the card match. Overall quite stupid. If they don't catch her soon, they're probably waiting for her to do it again and get above felony level to send her to jail.

Also it sounds like you like her but if you feel like throwing her under the bus (not encouraging or discouraging this) and report her to AP, you'll get a gift card. (They give gift cards for helping catch theft)

Also, anyone who's GS coded can post void. If you're not supervisor coded, you just need to type in the receipt number.

Last edited:
Amanda- when I scan a receipt, post voiding doesn't come up as an option for me. However, it does for this girl. I think she's going to live to regret having that power.

Amanda- when I scan a receipt, post voiding doesn't come up as an option for me. However, it does for this girl. I think she's going to live to regret having that power.
Type in the receipt number. on the screen for VCD, K3 post void (if you're GS coded instead of ring sales only).

What she did was the same as walking out the door without ringing up the laptop. I am assuming when she bought the laptop, she didn't use her employee discount because I don't think it would let her do anything with a receipt that has her own employee number attached to it.

At our store since modernization, all cashiers who make it past 90 days are given supervisor privileges and have to do at least a quarterly rotation at guest services.

What she did was the same as walking out the door without ringing up the laptop. I am assuming when she bought the laptop, she didn't use her employee discount because I don't think it would let her do anything with a receipt that has her own employee number attached to it.
Possibly another ™ rang her up thinking it was just a normal sale. I hope she wouldn't be so stupid as to put her discount on there, but my guess is she's not that smart if she's doing this whole thing anyway.

I think I may advise to to quit the job. I'd hate to see her dragged out. Ugh.

Quitting won't matter. They would probably have the police arrest her. Admitting to what she did is her best course of action. Being compliant in also her best course of action.

Post voids don't happen often. You can bet there is a report on post voids. People granted new powers are surely watched by AP for a period of time. She fucked up big time. She might have gotten away with some stuff before, but you can bet they are going through everything now.

Back