1. The Break Room is NOT an official service of Target Corp.
    This is a site run by regular people who are off the clock.
    We do not perform any HR related services, or affect any internal information regarding Target.
    Dismiss Notice

Professionalism & Tattoos

Discussion in 'Off The Clock Chatter' started by BrohemianRapcity, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BrohemianRapcity

BrohemianRapcity Active Member

So I have a friend who is studying to become a doctor. Thing is though, he wants to get tattoos, and visible ones too. I'm talking all if not most of his arms and chest/shoulders. We were talking about this and it really got me wondering as to this whole stigma tattoos and piercings have.

Would you be okay with a tatted doctor? What about with piercings? What do you think? What other careers would you expect this to be a problem as well? Any personal stories too?

It would really help me out too since I'm debating getting tattoos but am wanting to be a middle school teacher.

2. commiecorvus

commiecorvus Former Signing Ninja Moderator

I can speak only as someone who helps people get jobs and has family members who are teacher (and has multiple tattoos).
    You can get as many tats as you want but make them ones you can cover up, no neck, face, or hands.
    As for piercings, it goes to keeping it to a minimum.
    My daughter has her tongue pierced and hasn't had any problems teaching but I suspect someone with huge plugs or tunnels might.

3. PaleIrishmen

PaleIrishmen Hardcore Parkour!

One of our PA's has plenty of tattoos and doesn't cover them up. Nobody has complained about them so far. I'm getting a full sleeve once I can afford it eventually.

4. Kaitii

Kaitii You're gushing all kinds of fluids again

I don't think tattoos have anything to do with professionalism and I think it's weird that people see them as unprofessional.

One of the vet techs I take my pets to has a full sleeve and she's great. If my doctor had tats I'd be like ayy where did you get those at because I want some tats and need recommendations for places.

5. Target NPC

Target NPC Bork! Bork! Bork!

I'm a big believer that body modification shouldn't have anything to do with your ability to be competent at a job. However, I see stuff like this and think, no, I wouldn't trust this person as a doctor.

[​IMG]

I think all that can be done, is that companies should do away with absurd policies like no visible tattoos or unnatural hair colors. You should be giving those people the fair opportunity to try for a job, because their personal style choices are usually irrelevant to job performance.

6. PaleIrishmen

PaleIrishmen Hardcore Parkour!

I... I drink monster but what the FUCK. Why would anybody get those tattoos?

7. Target NPC

Yeah I don't get it. People just really buy into the marketing, because brands like Monster build a certain image. Naturally people are desperate to belong to something and feel connected, so some people just glom onto this shit I guess. I brush my teeth with Pronamel. I would never get Pronamel tattooed on my body.

BackroomAlpha likes this.
  8. BackroomAlpha

BackroomAlpha Did somebody call for backroom?

Putting artwork on your body doesnt make anyone any less credible as a person..thats mearly a stigma.

Ive seen a few doctors with tattoos and I didnt judge them from what they had on their body.

Logo likes this.
  9. BackroomAlpha

BackroomAlpha Did somebody call for backroom?

C'mon bro....its fuckin PRONAMEL. LIVE OR DIE THAT SHIT BRAH

BrohemianRapcity likes this.
  10. Target NPC

Chew ice or die trying!

BackroomAlpha likes this.
  11. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Active Member

I think the stigma of tattoos is a generational thing. I also believe it depends on the vocation in which you're working and the type of tattoos a person has. normally I couldn't care less if someone has tattoos, but i've yet to see a business professional like a doctor or lawyer decked out in a full sleeve or piercings.

PassinTime likes this.
  12. Leo47

Leo47 Cashier --> Guest

My mom is covered in tattoos from her collarbones down, full sleeves and all. As far as I know, no one has ever said anything to her. She's also an iron worker so they're probably more chill about it though

Hardlinesmaster likes this.
  13. Kartman

Kartman Gimme Moar Ours!

14. Rarejem

Rarejem Well-Known Member

I don't have any. I don't want any. I couldn't guarantee they'd match my mood, my outfit, my outlook of the day or my shoes. Not a fan of them on others for the same reason. Does it reflect on professionalism? I had an STL who liked to say "perception is reality". It depends on the audience as well as the tattoo material. Naked bodies swilling booze won't go over too well for a teacher. Also, some are art... some are discount cheap looking. I always wonder about those that complain about being broke, yet can afford an arm or leg full of tats. Food or tattoo? ... you made your choice and you're advertising it.

15. redeye58

redeye58 Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!

When my niece was in her younger rebellious stage, she had several skull tats on her forearms but - after teaching elementary grades for a few years - she's finally looking to get them removed.
    She'll still have a few on her ankle, shoulder etc but it was getting difficult to conduct a parent-teacher conference with visible & graphic tats front & center.
    While she works in a fairly conservative district, the administration has never said anything about her tats.

Hardlinesmaster likes this.
  16. phibot

phibot The Lord of the Things

17. Kartman

Kartman Gimme Moar Ours!

Morons.

18. Pelon1071

Pelon1071     よろしくま!

If I'm dying, I'd focus on the whole, "try not to make me die" part, we'll talk about those tatts later. So no, I wouldn't care if my Doctor had tattoos.

19. Pelon1071

Pelon1071     よろしくま!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLULZOLOLOLOLODOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

no

redeye58 likes this.
  20. PassinTime

PassinTime Guest

While millenials and professional athletes seem to be making tats more mainstream, I mostly still see them on people who are more socio/economically challenged. And, I don't recall ever seeing substantial tats on those that are in a (college educated) professional position.