Archived Promoting from TM to TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago, I was approached by a TL asking if I would ever be interested in promoting to a TL.
It is something that I seem like I would be interested in so I told them yes. They said I demonstrate a lot of leadership skills and said I would make a great TL.
Although this TL had to take a LOA due to having a baby. So now I'm not really sure how to start prepping for TL. Also, this TL wasn't my team lead, so I asked my leader about it and they said I'm capable of doing it.

So I went to my HR-ETL and they said its a long process but they can definitely get me prepped...but she mentioned after 4th quarter...
I know that I will need a mentor, do I go to HR-ETL and ask about that? Do I get to pick my mentor?
Can APTLs and ETLs be mentors or do they prefer TLs and the department you would like to be a TL for(I know that you don't usually get to pick what area you become TL of)

Just any info about being a TL that anyone can help me with? And any advice?
Also, how do I talk to my HR about this??

Definitely try to stick to someone that you connect with and that is willing to help with your development. In my experience, the person is more important than the workcenter. Consider your interview, which will consist of 'Tell me about a time..." questions. They require stories about when you demonstrated leadership qualities and how you handled certain situations. If you don't have these stories, see if your 'mentor' can put you in those situations so that you have stories to tell.

If someone came to you asking about being a TL, that's definitely a good thing. Try to be aggressive about it, no one is going to hand it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back