Archived Promotion to GSTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsoluteZero

Mr. REDcard Cashier
Hey all,

I’m a Cashier, hired June 9th of this year. I’m 17 years old and still in high school, which restricts scheduling considerably. I turn 18 in September of this year, so it won’t be too long until I’m no longer going to have an “m” next to my name on the roster. Despite my age, I am good at my job, and get plenty of REDcards. The guests are almost always appreciative and thankful for the effort I put into trying to make their experience smoothe. My question is, can I reasonable expect a promotion to GSTL while still in high school? I know they wouldn’t promote a minor, but what other factors am I missing? Also, in the mean time, I’d like to get off the check lanes and work at Guest Services. Is that possible, or do I need to be 18 and female to work over there? Thanks for any help!

Generally you need a degree or years of experience to become GSTL
Anyone can be a GSA though.

It helps if you are a GSA first....also, I think a TL would need a bit more experience to be taken seriously by the TMs he/she is supposed to lead. If my store hired an 18 y/o as a GSTL, I would question whether I wanted work in that work center anymore.

You probably won't be in line to promote to GSTL while still in high school. Target expects it's Team Leaders to have open availability for the most part.
Additionally, being good at your job (cashier) doesn't mean you would make a good leader. Do you have any leadership experience?

Just ask your gstl about the service desk part if you aren’t trained over there already that’s a good start. As said about most likely not GSTL but if they see good potential in you they may or you could straight up apply for it. I’m still in High school and I’m now moving up the front end ladder so really anything is possible

I admire your ambition @AbsoluteZero. There are a couple of factors that go into any sort of promotion with Spot. 1) Your attendance. You can be the best thing since slice bread, if you aren't @ work, who cares? I'm just being very blunt and Very Forward. 2) Your work rapport with those around you, including leadership. Do you come off as a Know-it-all? Work well with your peers? How are you with feedback from your GSTL and ETL? 3) Do you know any other workcenters besides cashier? As others have said already, try your hand as a GSA first, master being a GSA, THEN push for GSTL. From my experience and have seen with Spot, they tend to promote GSA's faster than cashier straight to TL. Also, don't let others discourage you, if YOU want to be TL whether it be GSTL or TL for another workcenter, GO for it. Don't ever limit yourself. Good luck! ;)

All of the above. Also, it doesn’t hurt letting leadership know of your aspirations. ASANTS, so depending on the leadership ar your store anything is possible. If nothing else you’ll get on their radar, as a potential.

You’ll have a better chance at becoming a GSA, which could lead to a GSTL promotion from there. I would aim for that, at least at my store its very easy to get on that path. But you’ll need to know Guest Service before you become a GSA, so definitely try your hardest to get in there. However I was only trained in Guest Service after I was approached about the GSA position, it was like “we want you for this so we’re gonna train you for it”

You probably won't be in line to promote to GSTL while still in high school. Target expects it's Team Leaders to have open availability for the most part.
Additionally, being good at your job (cashier) doesn't mean you would make a good leader. Do you have any leadership experience?

Wait, leadership experience is needed to make someone a good leader? (Sarcasm) Then why does Target consistently hire brand-new college grads with no leadership skills into leadership positions? (Real question) Another real question - does Target do anything to teach leadership skills? Or just promote and set up TMs for much grumbling at having an inept TL?

To be fair, companies that actually train or groom people for leadership are pretty darn rare, and demonstrated management skills is very rarely a requirement for lower (or sometimes even higher)-level management positions.

And, really, from what I've see the pay sucks enough at the TL position that most people with significant leadership experience would be looking for a higher-pay job, anyway.

You could definitely become a gstl but unless your store is a dumpster fire. Generally GSAs or team members on tje bench are promoted to gstl.

It's unusual to jump from cashier to gstl.

Last edited:
A degree? For GSTL?

3402781.gif

But to answer your question, you probably will not be promoted directly to GSTL without becoming a GSA and/or sitting on the he bench for a while.

You DONT need a degree to be a TL of any kind lmao, That is extremely false.

Hell in my area, you dont even need a degree to become an ETL anymore.

But you will need to either take a GSA spot, and from there, when the store has their TL interviews for the bench, if they feel you're ready, they'll place you there.

Do GSA, get the experience all while working on your degree next year assuming you're a senior! Degree is forever; Target I promise is not. Even if you can get 10 years out of Target, you're only opening doors for yourself down the road if you get a degree now. TL doesn't require it, just leadership experience but you bet everything after that does require a degree. Good luck.

Generally you need a degree or years of experience to become GSTL[/QUOTE]

Um, no you don't. Several of ours haven't had either. I seen some go from TM to GSA to GSTL in a couple of months.

GSA and GSTL are virtually the same at my store... our GSAs have about 75% GSTL shifts and the other 25% they’re scheduled ‘Cashier’ but basically just end up being a second GSTL.. Our GSAs also do cash office most of the time, but there really is no difference at my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back