Archived Proper procedure if attacked by a Guest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done the same thing... held the walkie button down so everyone could hear what was going on. I did pause for a second to hit the additional button so they'd know the walkie noise was coming from guest service though.

I've done the same thing... held the walkie button down so everyone could hear what was going on. I did pause for a second to hit the additional button so they'd know the walkie noise was coming from guest service though.

I've doen that before! When I was getting yelled at Guest Service and didn't want to anger the guest even more by calling for support i held down my walkie button and soon every ETL and TL was pretty much running to Guest Service.

The only people allowed to manhandle guests are AP.

If you are being threatened or assaulted by a guest or TM, the first thing to do is to have any TM in view to back you up. This distracts the person and makes sure the event can be documented. But mainly you want to advise the LOD and AP to come to your location.

I had a number of guests who would try to reach over the counter to grab something from my hands or manhandle the register. I always took that as a threat. So I advised the GSTL to come up and for AP to stand ready.

The only people allowed to manhandle guests are AP.

If you are being threatened or assaulted by a guest or TM, the first thing to do is to have any TM in view to back you up. This distracts the person and makes sure the event can be documented. But mainly you want to advise the LOD and AP to come to your location.

I had a number of guests who would try to reach over the counter to grab something from my hands or manhandle the register. I always took that as a threat. So I advised the GSTL to come up and for AP to stand ready.

idk my last three AP personell certainly wouldn't be capable of doing a whole lot of manhandling.

Well luckily for me my AP guy thinks I'm fun to watch on the cameras so if anyone throws a punch I'm good. Yes it's creepy. I'm just going to laugh about it.

If I'm ever physically assaulted you can bet your ass I will return in kind. I'm not above tomahawking some bastard with a PDA.

If ANYONE laid a hand on me, you bet I would be calling 911. Forget Target, I'd want that maniac in jail and facing a personal lawsuit............

Let the free-for-all begin!
Weapons located in garden/seasonal.
First aid/triage located at TSC.

If a guest assaults me, I can assure he will be assaulted back :)

I'm with you on this one insiteful1. A customer (I can say that, I am no longer with spot) can yell and verbally assault me all they want, but the second it's physical, all bets are off.

I know that we are not allowed to stop shoplifters, because Spot likes to do everything by the book. But if I were ever assualted by a guest, I don't care if there would be consequences, I am going to defend myself. What would they expect us to do, take it lying down. I can see it now, "Earlier today a Target employee was assaulted by an angry guests, the guests threw punches and the team member did not do anything to defend themselves, they said it was against best practice. However, the employee was recognized by management with a great team card for his efforts in following best practice".

**** no. The second a guest lays a hand on me is the day I get arrested for aggrivated assault.

We also have a spray bottle of alcohol near the registers that we could use to "disorient" anyone who actually did so they'd be at a MAJOR disadvantage....

That won't do much against someone high as a kite on pcp or meth. Trust me on that one.

I have been grabbed at the throat and kidnapped from the parking lot by a meth dealer whom I pointed out prior to that was a security issue. He took me on a fun ride.

There are no procedures at my store because I am the only person on the floor. Haven't been to a safe and secure meeting in about four years because I have been the only one on the sales floor since then and we must not have an empty sales floor at all costs.

One time I called for help from a ETL, they were in a meeting and demanded to know if it could be handled over the walkie and that was an actual improvement because the time before that, they were in a meeting and turned off their walkies. I had a solution, why don't we have a new code word like, "Code Grey" meaning that we have potentially violent situation ready to erupt. They vetoed that because they were afraid "too many" team members might show up. At that point I stopped taking the entire safety thing serious, if the company is going to be that idiotic about it then they have nothing invested in keeping us safe.

I have been grabbed at the throat and kidnapped from the parking lot by a meth dealer whom I pointed out prior to that was a security issue.

And your store did absolutely nothing? Dude, what the ****ing **** is wrong there?

I have been grabbed at the throat and kidnapped from the parking lot by a meth dealer whom I pointed out prior to that was a security issue. He took me on a fun ride.

There are no procedures at my store because I am the only person on the floor. Haven't been to a safe and secure meeting in about four years because I have been the only one on the sales floor since then and we must not have an empty sales floor at all costs.

One time I called for help from a ETL, they were in a meeting and demanded to know if it could be handled over the walkie and that was an actual improvement because the time before that, they were in a meeting and turned off their walkies. I had a solution, why don't we have a new code word like, "Code Grey" meaning that we have potentially violent situation ready to erupt. They vetoed that because they were afraid "too many" team members might show up. At that point I stopped taking the entire safety thing serious, if the company is going to be that idiotic about it then they have nothing invested in keeping us safe.
Seriously...the ETLs should have been fired for ignoring such an incident.

i know that we are not allowed to stop shoplifters, because spot likes to do everything by the book. But if i were ever assualted by a guest, i don't care if there would be consequences, i am going to defend myself. What would they expect us to do, take it lying down. I can see it now, "earlier today a target employee was assaulted by an angry guests, the guests threw punches and the team member did not do anything to defend themselves, they said it was against best practice. However, the employee was recognized by management with a great team card for his efforts in following best practice".

lol!

Code Blue used to be used when AP wanted male tm to respond when they needed help with a shop lifter.

I though code blue was the same as "CODE ADAM"

Last edited:
We actually had a discussion about this in our huddles this week.

Our store is located in a pretty bad area, and we had a few incidents where guests tried to lay their hands on team members. We were told to just walk away from the situation as best we could. If it got out of hand, just to call an LOD or TPS over. It was pretty much indicated that any "action" of our own would lead to termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back