Archived 'QMOS'ing Per Pound

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Background

I've been working at Target since late November 2016 in my store's "consumables" department (we're one of those Targets with PFresh and grocery, but not at Super Target standards) I've become pretty confident in my abilities as a TM, but I'm always willing to ask questions if I have doubts about anything.

The Event

Alright, so earlier today I was QMOSing some out-of-date ribs from our deep-freezer. They were priced by weight and didn't have price labels yet (we had a major surplus). I was going through the process of putting the item on the scale, scanning the newly printed label with a myDevice, 'toss'ing them via myDevice interface, and re-boxing them before throwing them out.

About half way through this process (4 cases in), I realized that the weight being shown on the myDevice was wrong. For example, the label coming from the scale read 10lbs, but the myDevice displayed 7.5lbs after scanning that same label. I was also unable to correct value on the device, so I looked a little deeper.

These specific ribs were ALSO on sale for ~25% off, as was shown on the shelf and the price presented on the myDevice. I deduced that the myDevice was pulling the price on the scale printed label, then dividing it by the regular sale price to calculate the weight. This would be fine with regularly priced items, but not in the case of items that are in any way discounted. It SHOULD have been dividing the label price by the current lower price, but it wasn't.

The scale I was using defaulted to the sale price, so my labels were up-to-date. My solution was to reprocess everything I'd already re-boxed, but at 25% of the regular price via changing the scale's value. This was the exact difference between the myDevice weight value and the literal weight. I contacted our ETL and walked her through the issue and what I had done to remedy it. She said she'll contact someone further up about maybe addressing the issue. I then punched in the original price (not sale price) on the scale and finished the other half of the project. Everything went smoothly and the correct weights were shown on the myDevice for the last 4 cases.

Actual Issue

If I had been on the sales floor, I would have just QMOS'd and thrown the items away without checking the accuracy of what the myDevice thought I was throwing out (beyond the UPC of course). I assume this would have resulted in a major issue with inventory in that it would show that we still have 25% of whatever I had just thrown away. This is my core concern.

I also confirmed this inaccuracy by scanning a few other per-weight sale items. All produced inaccurate weights in the 'Toss Item' myDevice interface.

SO, I guess my question is: Does anyone know which method was actually correct? Was I supposed to QMOS at the weight presented by the myDevice, or the weight presented on the scale label?

If I knew how our cash registers calculated how much product to remove from our inventory when processing these items, I would have the answer. But I don't, so I don't. Maybe my ETL will have it when I clock-in tomorrow.

Last edited:
@qmosqueen, your help is needed, please. On qmos stuff, sale prices are not a factor in the my device. Make sure you follow up with your Etl or Ctl & let them know what you did. CYA.

I always use the scale label

If you just sccsned the pick label or typed in the dcpi then it would ask for pound to Qmos then you can type the pounds from the box.
There should be a label on the box telling you how many pounds in the box

I always check the on hands that's in pounds and Qmos whatever I do not have

My Background

I've been working at Target since late November 2016 in my store's "consumables" department (we're one of those Targets with PFresh and grocery, but not at Super Target standards) I've become pretty confident in my abilities as a TM, but I'm always willing to ask questions if I have doubts about anything.

The Event

Alright, so earlier today I was QMOSing some out-of-date ribs from our deep-freezer. They were priced by weight and didn't have price labels yet (we had a major surplus). I was going through the process of putting the item on the scale, scanning the newly printed label with a myDevice, 'toss'ing them via myDevice interface, and re-boxing them before throwing them out.

About half way through this process (4 cases in), I realized that the weight being shown on the myDevice was wrong. For example, the label coming from the scale read 10lbs, but the myDevice displayed 7.5lbs after scanning that same label. I was also unable to correct value on the device, so I looked a little deeper.

These specific ribs were ALSO on sale for ~25% off, as was shown on the shelf and the price presented on the myDevice. I deduced that the myDevice was pulling the price on the scale printed label, then dividing it by the regular sale price to calculate the weight. This would be fine with regularly priced items, but not in the case of items that are in any way discounted. It SHOULD have been dividing the label price by the current lower price, but it wasn't.

The scale I was using defaulted to the sale price, so my labels were up-to-date. My solution was to reprocess everything I'd already re-boxed, but at 25% of the regular price via changing the scale's value. This was the exact difference between the myDevice weight value and the literal weight. I contacted our ETL and walked her through the issue and what I had done to remedy it. She said she'll contact someone further up about maybe addressing the issue. I then punched in the original price (not sale price) on the scale and finished the other half of the project. Everything went smoothly and the correct weights were shown on the myDevice for the last 4 cases.

Actual Issue

If I had been on the sales floor, I would have just QMOS'd and thrown the items away without checking the accuracy of what the myDevice thought I was throwing out (beyond the UPC of course). I assume this would have resulted in a major issue with inventory in that it would show that we still have 25% of whatever I had just thrown away. This is my core concern.

I also confirmed this inaccuracy by scanning a few other per-weight sale items. All produced inaccurate weights in the 'Toss Item' myDevice interface.

SO, I guess my question is: Does anyone know which method was actually correct? Was I supposed to QMOS at the weight presented by the myDevice, or the weight presented on the scale label?

If I knew how our cash registers calculated how much product to remove from our inventory when processing these items, I would have the answer. But I don't, so I don't. Maybe my ETL will have it when I clock-in tomorrow.

I always went by the MyDevice as its not your fault if the tools your given are borderline worthless. Also I would also input the weight by CASE instead of individually (as that was how it was entered into our system in the first place).

For example QMOS'ing by the case (if you have a lot) would be to Qmos then enter the weight of the entire case, and Toss.

You can do this if you end up selling Bulk Turkey's as well. We had a guy who bought 35-40 Turkeys every year from us for Veteran's the day after Thanksgiving so they could have them at Christmas. Instead of scanning each individual (Frozen) Turkey I would just add up the weight (on the case) with a calculator, then ask the Cashier to enter the DPCI and when asked "how many" enter the weight. (I would always round it down and maybe give him an added discount if our STL agreed as he usually helped us move a ton of turkey inventory quickly, and it was a nice gesture that brought him back every year).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back