Archived Question about OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandie89

ElectronicsTM
Will I get in trouble for going past 40 hours?

See, I'm scheduled for 39.5 hours next week and I can almost guarantee that I'll go over my schedule at some point (by how much, I don't know) during the week since I have to work with a freakin' dud who never helps with zoning or abandon. I don't like leaving it for our Electronics closer because she helps me out quite a bit with it when she's the opener. Anyway, I'll probably tack on at least an hour to an hour and a half of overtime. Will it kind of be pushed under the rug because next week is Thanksgiving/Black Friday or will I need to leave early at some point (probably on Saturday)? Or is this one of those ASANTS things?

See, I'm scheduled for 39.5 hours next week and I can almost guarantee that I'll go over my schedule at some point (by how much, I don't know) during the week since I have to work with a freakin' dud who never helps with zoning or abandon. I don't like leaving it for our Electronics closer because she helps me out quite a bit with it when she's the opener. Anyway, I'll probably tack on at least an hour to an hour and a half of overtime. Will it kind of be pushed under the rug because next week is Thanksgiving/Black Friday or will I need to leave early at some point (probably on Saturday)? Or is this one of those ASANTS things?

Working past your schedule always requires approval of the LOD. Make sure to let them know you will be going over 40 hours so they can make that call. If you work on Thanksgiving, that is already time and a half, so you will be able to use that as the time and a half pay to get more than 40 hours.

If you are consistently working a half hour past your scheduled time, you have a problem. The store may not have the hours to give out to let you go over your hours consistently, so always check with the LOD before staying....especially if you will go over 40 hours.

The leadership at my store would freak out if you had an hour to an hour and a half of overtime that wasn't scheduled. I had 40.03 one week about a year ago and had an informal "talking to".

Working past your schedule always requires approval of the LOD. Make sure to let them know you will be going over 40 hours so they can make that call. If you work on Thanksgiving, that is already time and a half, so you will be able to use that as the time and a half pay to get more than 40 hours.

If you are consistently working a half hour past your scheduled time, you have a problem. The store may not have the hours to give out to let you go over your hours consistently, so always check with the LOD before staying....especially if you will go over 40 hours.
At my store we are OK to clock out up to 15 minutes late without prior approval as long as you don't go over 40 hours.

At my store we are OK to clock out up to 15 minutes late without prior approval as long as you don't go over 40 hours.
I can understand that. My hours are really weird next week but it all adds up to 39.5. I normally stay at least 10 to 15 minutes each day anyway but my hours never added up enough to even hit overtime, that's why I asked. I leave at like 15 minutes past the hour on most days (next week) and on Thanksgiving night, I'm at 4.75 hours, so I know I have to get out of there as soon as my time is up because if I don't, I'll hit compliance.

Check with your ETL or STL. If you are scheduled that tight, and you go overtime, you might be written up. No Joke.

I went overtime by 15 minutes on one occasion because FA was so overrun by guests and needed to do an out-of-store requisition food order, and I almost got written up.

They will probably want you off the floor within 5-10 minutes of your end of your shift.

From what I understand, an alarm goes off for the LOD when a TM has gone 20 minutes past their clock out time.

Anyone logged in as LOD on their myDevice gets Work Past notices beginning from 10 past their scheduled clockout time I believe.

Anyone logged in as LOD on their myDevice gets Work Past notices beginning from 10 past their scheduled clockout time I believe.
It's been disabled (I think for the rest of the year).

Something about it was in the Black Friday guides.

Last paycheck, I got 0.35 hours of overtime because of a turnaround shift. I "technically" worked more than 8 hours in one day.

Speaking of OT, my SrTL wants me to extend my 4 hour shift tomorrow to a full shift meaning I'll go over by 2.05 hours. But he said talk to the opening LOD first. I wonder what'll happen. My shift is 4-8am.

asants- My store isn't doing OT . The stl may let the tl, srtls get a few hours next week but that will be about it . I had to cut my shift short today as not to get OT.

asants- My store isn't doing OT . The stl may let the tl, srtls get a few hours next week but that will be about it . I had to cut my shift short today as not to get OT.
The key on to, is to be on the good list with hr & stl. I try to get my stuff done without overtime.

My store does do OT for federal holidays when we get paid time and a half. The hours worked on the major holiday don't really count towards the 40 hours. We are allowed up to 48 hours during a week with a federal holiday like Thanksgiving or Labor Day. I'm at 42 hours for the week of Thanksgiving. Otherwise we aren't allowed to go over 40. We would need to leave early on a shift to stay under.

My store does do OT for federal holidays when we get paid time and a half. The hours worked on the major holiday don't really count towards the 40 hours. We are allowed up to 48 hours during a week with a federal holiday like Thanksgiving or Labor Day. I'm at 42 hours for the week of Thanksgiving. Otherwise we aren't allowed to go over 40. We would need to leave early on a shift to stay under.
My new ETL-HR also said up to 48 hours, but I've worked over 50 hours in a week with a holiday without getting OT - 14 hours on Memorial Day, plus nearly 40 hours the rest of the week, so close to 54. So really, you could get nearly 64 hours if you worked all 24 hours on a holiday and then 40 hours the rest of the week (if you can somehow manage the 24 hour day...) without getting OT. My guess is that the 48 hour number came from assuming six 8 hour days in that week.

My new ETL-HR also said up to 48 hours, but I've worked over 50 hours in a week with a holiday without getting OT - 14 hours on Memorial Day, plus nearly 40 hours the rest of the week, so close to 54. So really, you could get nearly 64 hours if you worked all 24 hours on a holiday and then 40 hours the rest of the week (if you can somehow manage the 24 hour day...) without getting OT. My guess is that the 48 hour number came from assuming six 8 hour days in that week.
My STL would flip out if anyone worked 14 hours at time and a half. On the eligible holidays, TMs and TLs can work 40 + whatever they are scheduled on the holiday, but we are expected to not go a minute over scheduled time.

I would definitely talk to leadership about this. Someone I work with daily went literally one minute into overtime and got an official coaching the next week.

The last day of the week you work, and you know you've gone over some days, check your total hours worked on ehr or the time clock. You will have to cut that day back. If you go over on X days then you will have to cut y days. Don't go over 40. Leadership gets pissed and a lot of emails

The last day of the week you work, and you know you've gone over some days, check your total hours worked on ehr or the time clock. You will have to cut that day back. If you go over on X days then you will have to cut y days. Don't go over 40. Leadership gets pissed and a lot of emails
I read somewhere that holiday hours don't count toward your weekly hours. Is that true? If so, then I didn't hit OT at all.

You were paid time and a half thanksgiving and it doesn't count to your 40 regular hours. Some people worked 50 without hitting overtime

There are some states that prohibit wrapping OT into other holiday pay...because if you get say 50 hours because you worked ten hours on Thanksgiving, then you've essentially given up your holiday pay. But I doubt Spot cares about that...especially if the TMs haven't complained.

There are some states that prohibit wrapping OT into other holiday pay...because if you get say 50 hours because you worked ten hours on Thanksgiving, then you've essentially given up your holiday pay. But I doubt Spot cares about that...especially if the TMs haven't complained.
On my pay stub, it said I was only at 0.48 in terms of OT.

I worked 40 hours Thanksgiving week. I was paid for 50 hours. I could have worked 50 hours, and been paid for 63 hours, that still wouldn't have been OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back