Archived Question for HLTLs out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so in my store I am a Sr. and the other TL is basically a team member, her skills are very limited. And yes I have tried helping her but there has been very little progress in the last year.

So our flow team was just dismantled 2 weeks ago and now I own an area, she owns an area and the flow TL owns an area.

Before this whole shit show HL was kind of just ran all by both of us, neither one owned a specific area.

So I have seen several people on here talk about areas they own. My question is do you guys help out in other areas if the other leader is there? And I'm talking about things like filling end caps and setting new ones, small things.

I don't want to be the douche that is like that's not my area but I don't get in help from them in my areas.

Just curious

I think if you are hyper-organized about your "area" of HL..... you pre-plan your schedule (who's doing what on which day), if you set the bar high for your own Team's productivity, if you recap w/ your ETL often in terms of progress/completion, no one else will need to "help" in your area.
The Leadership in your store will see who is not carrying their weight; ie: the TM w/ the TL salary. In addition..... your Leadership Team may want/need you to help your peers when they fall behind. You get to be the "hero" without being a sucker.

Do all three of you TLs need to "share" a Team? Or is the Team divided up already? Cuz that could become challenging and territorial.

I wouldn't get too caught up in which areas I own and I don't venture out of there. Yes, everyone should have their own designated areas and plan accordingly for that workload. You should not be setting sales planners in someone else's department. But if the TL is not there and endcaps are completely empty, you should be pulling from the home (or from the back room ideally if someone could pull it) or flexing something else even if it's not your department.

That's when you are thinking bigger scope. Your ETL Salesfloor/STL owns the whole floor so an empty endcap is loss of potential sales no matter where it is.

If your peer is working that day, partner with them. Ask them if they need help setting a sales planner or flexing something else. It might seem like additional workload for you but eventually your store leadership will see you are a valued leader

Build a partnership with your peers. I wouldn't do anything major to an end outside of my area without first talking to the leader who owns it, but it's pretty common for us to help each other out. As far as a quick spot fill/flexing goes, we'll make sure it gets done regardless of area.

Last edited:
At my store we have three hardlines TLs (not including market) and they seem to stay put in their areas. We have sections A-F and each TL owns two sections.

In my store we have 4 HL TL's and I own HBA and the essentials areas (Chems, Pets,Paper etc.), and when it comes to salesplanners we get the team to do them and jump in if the workload for the week is really heavy. Generally we plan out the ends and then give the HL's team which ones to set, and I give my beauty team the cosmetics ones to set. My Salesfloor ETL makes us own the salesfloor because at the end of the day TWT is our metric and we have to be green each week so it doesn't really matter who 'owns' what, we just have to have a plan to get it done. If we have questions about another persons area however we communicate that and help out with other parts as needed.

If my peers are there, I assume they are okay in their workload and know what to do. Usually, if they can’t, they either partner with LOD or with peers to ensure that they get support they need. If they aren’t there, that’s another story, usually I work on my respective areas, filling endcaps, researching, preplanning workload, etc, until I’m needed for Midday.
I had one peer whom we always helped one another out, regardless if it was endcaps, SPLs, whatever. There’s one TL whom doesn’t venture out of their respective area, they helped out with one of my endcap sets once when I was out sick, but although they don’t help out as much around the store, I try to think of the store as a whole, priority being completing any projects or work before jumping into another area. I want to make sure I’m at a good spot in my workload and areas that I am comfortable to help other areas out. I don’t like getting too ahead of myself. If we’re in an area that isn’t my own for a zone, I try to fill, flex, or research to see if we potentially have product to be pulled. If there’s something that I am unsure about, possibly where they want clearance or if they want something set in a specific place, I usually ask them.
I mentioned this to an ETL once, told them if I was in ___’s position and they asked for support, I would want someone to support me. I’m not going to deny someone help when they need it and are reaching out. I learned with one SRTL that no matter how many times I supported them, although they never returned the favor as much, I would want support from someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back