Archived Question for pharmacy techs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it true that starting next year pharmacy techs will need a college degree? Me and my classmate in my literature class were talking about this. She told me she used to be a pharmacy tech at CVS and starting next year they'll need a degree. I was thinking of becoming one when I worked at target because they get paid more. She than told me they don't get paid that much ($10 an hour) and you have to spend like $300 just to become certified.

Is it true that starting next year pharmacy techs will need a college degree? Me and my classmate in my literature class were talking about this. She told me she used to be a pharmacy tech at CVS and starting next year they'll need a degree. I was thinking of becoming one when I worked at target because they get paid more. She than told me they don't get paid that much ($10 an hour) and you have to spend like $300 just to become certified.

Ours started at like $13

The degree part depends on your state laws. However, I think there is something in the works requiring a degree (for new techs only) in 2020.

AFA the cost to become certified, that's also wrong. All you (currently) need is a passing score on the PTCB (or ICTE for ExCPT certification if your state recognizes it.) The PTCB is $129 (think ICTE is $115.) Most employers will pay for your test 1 time (if you fail, the next time is on your dime) & offer training.

CVS is probably the WORST paying employer for pharmacy techs. I started higher than that with 0 experience & no certification. Of course, if you switched now, you'd have to apply through CVS to work in your current store & probably would start lower than where Target starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back