Archived Question for Plano/Pricing TL's

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PPTL put in her notice and recommended that I take her position. I'm busy leading a 6 week remodel in my store, so I wont be dayside to give my input for a while. I also don't know if they'll take me out of softlines, since when I came on it was a major opportunity, and we're finally seeing some solid changes.

Now to preface, I loved everything about plano minus the pricing. In the past I've had to cover the team in the wake of other PPTL's leaving. I was offered the position, but the store I was at was notorious for giving zero support to them (hence the revolving door of PPTL's), so I turned it down. At my new store I can see myself working out. As much as I care about my team now, and how much they've grown, I can not stand softlines.

My real concern is E2E. How much longer is there going to be a PPTL? Is it going to become some watered down role that eventually gets phased out? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot here, and I also plan on going for Senior status after the remodel. I've always felt that to be really successful, PPTL's shouldn't be working LOD shifts, but I don't want my turning down a position to affect my goals of moving up. For those of you who are Senior PPTL's do you mind clarifying how you balance LOD shifts, E2E changes, and scheduling? When I watched over the team it was a set schedule for 5 team members, but at my store there are two that come in at 4, two at 6, and one at 8.

Lastly, is there anyway I can negotiate a raise if they offer me the position?

Not a PPTL, but a Senior. Yes, you can negotiate. Point out your successes and the store's need at the position. Worst that happens is they say no. I'm at a small store. We still have our PPTL, but the plan is to give her part of the sales floor as the whole store goes e2e.

Is there a Senior opening? Also, if you are fairly new in position they may not move you. In my district, they want you to be in position for at least 18 months before moving on.

Not a PPTL, but a Senior. Yes, you can negotiate. Point out your successes and the store's need at the position. Worst that happens is they say no. I'm at a small store. We still have our PPTL, but the plan is to give her part of the sales floor as the whole store goes e2e.

Is there a Senior opening? Also, if you are fairly new in position they may not move you. In my district, they want you to be in position for at least 18 months before moving on.

There will be a senior opening when the current PPTL leaves. She was only supposed to be a temporary key carrier, but she ended up staying in role since they never got around to hiring another senior.

18 months seems like a while, wow. I was under the impression that you only had to be in role for 6 or 8 months before moving workcenters/ getting promoted, but I could be wrong. At my old store a GSTL went to Sales Floor TL, to Senior to ETL in maybe 14 months.

There will be a senior opening when the current PPTL leaves. She was only supposed to be a temporary key carrier, but she ended up staying in role since they never got around to hiring another senior.

18 months seems like a while, wow. I was under the impression that you only had to be in role for 6 or 8 months before moving workcenters/ getting promoted, but I could be wrong. At my old store a GSTL went to Sales Floor TL, to Senior to ETL in maybe 14 months.

The official policy is 18 months in a role before moving to another, but I've seen that ignored many times before.

From what I understand PPTL is going to be phased out once E2E is completely in effect company wide. Many stores on E2E have already dissolved the Presentation and Pricing teams and the PPTL becomes the TL for one of the new sales floor areas.

I would still try to go for it if you want it. It's a great position if you have support and a good team.

Not promotion, just for lateral moves. So if you have been SLTL for 6 months, then promote to SrSLTL, no problem. If you just want to be PPTL, that would be a problem in my district. Of course, the situation might warrant that move at your store. I would ask your STL where she sees the PPTL position in 2 years.

Maybe my store's just weird but we have two SR TLs in the store: BR/instocks and salesfloor. Our old salesfloor SRTL left and our PPTL got the SR job but he got moved to the salesfloor role instead and we got a new PPTL from another store in our district.

I've always felt that to be really successful, PPTL's shouldn't be working LOD shifts.

Don't let anyone in your store know that. To be really successful, you need quality leadership traits. Having the mindset that you need to be with your team every step of the way isn't a sign of a good leader. If you develop your team properly, have good partnerships, and communicate well, you don't need to be around for them to be successful.

18 months seems like a while, wow. I was under the impression that you only had to be in role for 6 or 8 months before moving workcenters/ getting promoted,

It depends on the district. Out vmtl became a senior in a span of 4 months after being hired. She is transferring to become an etl a&A at a nearby store. All this in her first year.

Don't let anyone in your store know that. To be really successful, you need quality leadership traits. Having the mindset that you need to be with your team every step of the way isn't a sign of a good leader.

I don't mean to say you need to be there everyday with your team. I just struggle to see how effective you can be when running a team that requires so much planning and execution while working 3-4 LOD shifts a week. That's why I was curious to see how other Sr PPTL handle their work.

Your SrTLs get 3-4 LOD shifts a week? What the heck are the ETLs doing? We have 3/4 ETLs on vacation next week and I only have 3 LOD shifts with only 1 other ETL and 2 SrTLs in the building (we don't have mids).

Well that says it all instead of 21 LOD shifts your store only has 14. We have mids too. Our seniors are constantly getting 3 or 4 a week but we have two ETLs on LOA

Last edited:
Your SrTLs get 3-4 LOD shifts a week? What the heck are the ETLs doing? We have 3/4 ETLs on vacation next week and I only have 3 LOD shifts with only 1 other ETL and 2 SrTLs in the building (we don't have mids).

Honestly they're not doing much. Since I got softlines to a decent place they don't come over to my side of the store. I see my SF ETL maybe once a week, as he's running around trying to get grocery e2e to work. I rarely see the other Etl's outside of the office.

We do have mid LOD shifts, newly placed, but that's a whole different story why we started using them.

*edit* So I'm assuming 3-4 LOD shifts for a senior is more then usual? I'm an A volume if that makes any difference.

I get 3 most weeks right now. 4/5 in Q4, and usually 1 or 2 in Q1

*Update*

Well I got offered the Senior position. I was told that despite the Plano team/TL wanting me to take over, that it wouldn't be good for my development. So it looks like I'm staying in Softlines.

My STL told me that he'll help me prep for the interview with my DTL/HRBP when I'm done with the remodel, but that it's more of a formality at that point.

Im excited for the opportunity, I just hope they get someone solid for Plano. Any of you have any tips for a senior interview? Is it like the team lead one except with your DTL?

Awesome. I think with E2E, the Plano role is changing quite a bit in many stores. Perhaps your leaders feel you can better learn the ins and outs of leading by staying in Softlines.

I didn't think they did the DTL interview anymore. Mine was pretty basic. Have a nice 30 second or so spiel about yourself that includes non work stuff--ice breaker material. This worked great for me, as DTL was actually awkward talking to people one on one. We chatted, then he pulled out the regular TL interview guide and read those questions.

Awesome. I think with E2E, the Plano role is changing quite a bit in many stores. Perhaps your leaders feel you can better learn the ins and outs of leading by staying in Softlines.

I didn't think they did the DTL interview anymore. Mine was pretty basic. Have a nice 30 second or so spiel about yourself that includes non work stuff--ice breaker material. This worked great for me, as DTL was actually awkward talking to people one on one. We chatted, then he pulled out the regular TL interview guide and read those questions.

Awesome, thanks for the advice, and thank you to everyone else for their advice/input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back