Archived question re coupon policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my store, we have ALWAYS been taught that if a coupon value is over the value of the item, we reduce the coupon amount. So if you have a coupon for $1.00 off an $0.97 item, we hit the manufacturer coupon and punch in $0.97, instead of scanning the coupon. Recently I was reading the Front End News for either this month or last, and it stated that we do NOT do this, that we should scan the coupon as we normally would, and that the other $0.03 of coupon would be applied to the rest of the transaction. We've had a LOT of guests complain about us doing that, and some have told us that Target will get the full value of the coupon back, so essentially we're making money off of the coupon and therefore scamming the guest. Do any other stores always adjust the coupon amount down? Which is correct?

Also, any fun stories about crazy coupon people?

I have see stores adjust the price downwards but from what I know that is coupon fraud as the company are claiming the full amount back from the makers,I think the company is very sensitive about this as they always want to be seen to do the right thing.Target coupons can be adjusted downwards to match the price of the item if the coupon is for a larger amount.........as far as I know.

I have see stores adjust the price downwards but from what I know that is coupon fraud as the company are claiming the full amount back from the makers,I think the company is very sensitive about this as they always want to be seen to do the right thing.Target coupons can be adjusted downwards to match the price of the item if the coupon is for a larger amount.........as far as I know.

Target's policy is to adjust the price of the coupon down to the price of the item. I highly doubt this is coupon fraud. I think its something Target would've checked into before they made it their policy.

Just checked the coupon policy and it says that the coupon value may be reduced if the item costs less.

This isn't Target related, but my brother was telling me that him and his friend found this website where people can hack the system and make crazy discount coupons and they printed some off to try them and they actually worked. The ones he used were $50 off newly released video games at Walmart and they ended up spending less than $100 on $250 of video games. He said afterwards a bunch of managers were looking over the coupons in disbelief. I'm sure those hacker coupons won't last long.

OMutiny, ck coupon stories under guests first forum, under crazy coupon lady.

Last edited:
The Nov. 2011 Front End News does give an update on coupon policy. It says that manufacturer coupons should not be adjusted downward by the cashier and that Target coupons would be automatically adjusted downward by the register if needed. If you want to read it for yourself, you can ask your GSTL for a copy or go onto workbench and look for the Front End News menu on the right hand side of the Front End section.

Thanks for that info Suzy,have not read that but it fits in with what I have experienced myself,I will read it when I get back in tomorrow.

:party:its been a while since I have visited the breakroom,I had forgotten how much good advice and info can be found here,glad to be back.thank you.

This isn't Target related, but my brother was telling me that him and his friend found this website where people can hack the system and make crazy discount coupons and they printed some off to try them and they actually worked. The ones he used were $50 off newly released video games at Walmart and they ended up spending less than $100 on $250 of video games. He said afterwards a bunch of managers were looking over the coupons in disbelief. I'm sure those hacker coupons won't last long.

Maybe it is wrong for me to be on the forums, (but I love reading about Target!) Anyway, I am a CSM at Walmart (I'm guessing I'm the equivalent to a GSTL, I supervise the Cashiers and respond to customer complaints, override the computer when price changes are too high, and the like.) At Walmart and we have seen some of those $50 off coupons for the video games and have stopped a plethora of them from being used. Our Home Office sends us emails real quick when fraudulent coupons start showing up.

I remember when Lifestyle had to send out an alert for a bogus coupon for a glucose meter. It was for a "free" one up to $69. The guest would then turn around & return them the next day (getting the full refund), claiming "it was the wrong type".

I remember when Lifestyle had to send out an alert for a bogus coupon for a glucose meter. It was for a "free" one up to $69. The guest would then turn around & return them the next day (getting the full refund), claiming "it was the wrong type".

And then they wonder why the prices on products rise... We live with some Brilliant^ people.

And then they wonder why the prices on products rise... We live with some Brilliant^ people.

QFT.
BTW, Thee, you're welcome on the forum. We've got lotsa former TMs, one even works for WM now.

how many of the same coupon are guests allowed to use?

like if they are buying something worth $.70 and they have coupons for $.50 off. and they buy like 50 so its $35 but then goes down to $10 after the coupons?

Some coupons say something along the lines of "Limit four like coupons" and if it does you should probably follow that. Otherwise there's not much that can be done unless your leads or the store wants to limit how much they are buying.

Yeah, the coupons will say "limit one coupon per purchase" or something along those lines, but the register will not catch that. It will only catch coupons that don't match an item or items in the purchase.

one per purchase is not the same as one per transaction....
on the target coupons printed from the target website,it is written one per transaction on it ...so only one ...but some cashiers do not care,as long as it 's scans...
the one per purchase ,well it simply mean one per product purchased ,if they have 50 products in one transaction ,they can use 50 coupons ....

The Nov. 2011 Front End News does give an update on coupon policy. It says that manufacturer coupons should not be adjusted downward by the cashier and that Target coupons would be automatically adjusted downward by the register if needed. If you want to read it for yourself, you can ask your GSTL for a copy or go onto workbench and look for the Front End News menu on the right hand side of the Front End section.

This is why they used to have us scan the manf coupon first followed by the Target coupon (if using both on a single item). That way we were still fully reimbursed. If it's just a manf coupon & it exceeds the purchase price, it doesn't seem right that T gets reimbursed for the full amt....but they keep changing it so much we just go with the flow any more.

Does that even work? Manufacturer coupons don't "attach" themselves to items the way that Target Coupons do (otherwise most of the BOGO coupons wouldn't be asking for the price all the time), so how would the Target Coupons know how much to adjust? It sounds like Front End News simply wants us to not adjust prices and give overage (which I don't agree with).

Does that even work? Manufacturer coupons don't "attach" themselves to items the way that Target Coupons do (otherwise most of the BOGO coupons wouldn't be asking for the price all the time), so how would the Target Coupons know how much to adjust? It sounds like Front End News simply wants us to not adjust prices and give overage (which I don't agree with).

If the right item is in a transaction, the register will quietly associate the manufacturer coupon with the item (that's why it doesn't prompt for every single item). It just doesn't show on the screen, so it's not as obvious as with a Target coupon. I disagree with the whole overage thing too - it's like they want us to lose their money.

This is why they used to have us scan the manf coupon first followed by the Target coupon (if using both on a single item). That way we were still fully reimbursed. If it's just a manf coupon & it exceeds the purchase price, it doesn't seem right that T gets reimbursed for the full amt....but they keep changing it so much we just go with the flow any more.

I'm guessing Target did this because they are sick of policing poorly structured manufacturer coupons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back