Archived Questions about following the VMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new VM and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I can and can't do. I've asked but no one has given me a clear answer. How far from the VMG can I stray?

Recently I've been working in men's. I didn't stick to the fixture blocking (because it didn't make sense for my store's layout and because my store doesn't have any mannequins or hurdles or anything nice basically), and now corporate wants me to set it to the vmg which has been difficult.

If I get the fixture blocking fairly accurate, do I have to put the exact merchandise where the pictures show?

Ex 1: It calls for a certain brand of denim to be on 2 tables and a denim wall. I don't have enough of that brand to do that. Can I sub in a different brand of denim? Does it have to be denim at all? Can I out graphic tees with the denim? I've seen stores with graphic tees in their denim wall and my vmg doesn't show that.

Ex 2: I don't have the henleys that are show on the other set of tables. I put the polos there, even though my vmg shows them folded on the back of our "dilineation" (we don't have a real one I guess, it's just a raised up convertible). Is that ok?

Ex 3: In the vmg it shows that the basics wall is only suppose to take up 5 panels and then the next 8 are suppose to be denim. Well all 13 of them are basics so the denim that's currently in the wall isn't even where it's suppose to be technically. Also they put shoes on our wall so that takes up even more space.

Where to begin with the last mens vmg...They messed quite a bit.
1. Do not combine goodfellow with any other brands. I am light on the table so i put gf tees half folded on top.
2. Do not condense basics. They messed up the map. Also see workbench- they updated some things after I already set the vmg.
3. I am down to 3 tables on the core knit bar because i am light. I put the 4th table in my clearance pad until product shows up.
4. A note on deviation....you MUST take a partner when you deviate. I have conversation with the stl and my etl when I change something and why I did so they can speak to it if questioned. For example, when umbro shows up I am shifting swim to the other side of floorpad to give umbro the appropriate space. Everyone and their mom know about it before I complete the move.

Find a vm buddy in your district to contact if needed! If I was new to apparel I would be lost at Target. They are STILL figuring the vm position out. I have carved out a place in my store but I was an etl equivalent for a LONG time prior. You need to figure out what's best for you and your store. Good luck!

Where to begin with the last mens vmg...They messed quite a bit.
1. Do not combine goodfellow with any other brands. I am light on the table so i put gf tees half folded on top.
2. Do not condense basics. They messed up the map. Also see workbench- they updated some things after I already set the vmg.
3. I am down to 3 tables on the core knit bar because i am light. I put the 4th table in my clearance pad until product shows up.
4. A note on deviation....you MUST take a partner when you deviate. I have conversation with the stl and my etl when I change something and why I did so they can speak to it if questioned. For example, when umbro shows up I am shifting swim to the other side of floorpad to give umbro the appropriate space. Everyone and their mom know about it before I complete the move.

Find a vm buddy in your district to contact if needed! If I was new to apparel I would be lost at Target. They are STILL figuring the vm position out. I have carved out a place in my store but I was an etl equivalent for a LONG time prior. You need to figure out what's best for you and your store. Good luck!

Thank you for the help! That was way more detail than I've gotten from anyone in my store!

There's a reaon why the vm position is important at Target. Your store may not have apparel experience in your leadership team. Which makes your role even more cirtical to success! Ask anything- I enjoy hearing myself type:)

I'm a new VM and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I can and can't do. I've asked but no one has given me a clear answer. How far from the VMG can I stray?

First off..... WELCOME to the Team !
The VM role is ever-evolving at Target. The role was hugely different when I came on board a few years ago. I think the Company is trying to "streamline" 2000 differently creative minds. So... here's what I can tell you now: Get as close as possible to the VMG as you can! Place the fixturing as close as possible to the VMG. Place the correct product, as close as you can, to what they show in the VMG. We really don't have the "freedom" to merchandise as we see fit. It's more of a monkey see, monkey do scenario. Even though I "merchandise" everyday in every department...... I do not really apply any creativity, at this time. This is NOT what the Company wants (at this time). Things could change completely, by this time next year.
I pre-walk most of the Adjacencies w/ my STL and/or ETL a week prior to the movement, to discuss any discrepancies that I foresee. (and there's usually a lot). After the Team and I complete the Adjacency, we post-walk with the STL and ETL so that everyone is on the same page.
**** and, don't feel bad.... this particular Men's VMG is probably the WORST I've seen in terms of discrepancies****

I am in agreement w/ VtotheM ........ I was also an Executive VMTL in my last company. I've brought that experience and knowledge with me to Target; and the Leadership in my store is highly respectful to me and the VM role. Be very proactive in "planning" your responsibilities/tasks in advance. Be proactive in your "routine". Be proactive in developing the Team. And..... definitely find a peer VM buddy in your district. Maybe spend a day or two in their store; and they can come to your store as well.

Place the correct product, as close as you can, to what they show in the VMG. We really don't have the "freedom" to merchandise as we see fit. It's more of a monkey see, monkey do scenario. Even though I "merchandise" everyday in every department...... I do not really apply any creativity, at this time. This is NOT what the Company wants (at this time). Things could change completely, by this time next year.
I pre-walk most of the Adjacencies w/ my STL and/or ETL a week prior to the movement, to discuss any discrepancies that I foresee. (and there's usually a lot).

Thank you for the information!

I see stores that do "creative" things all the time though, which is why this is confusing. Stores put their graphic tees in with their denim wall or roll the sleeves of all the hanging button downs or even used decorative crates or boxes from the home department to display denim/belts, or put belts in with hanging denim, or other crossmerchandising.
I've been told to follow the vmg but after the product sells down or if sales are consistently low, then I can make more drastic changes. In your experience, is that true?
I worked as a dept manager at 2 different retail stores before this. One was very strict about following the planogram and the other didn't even have a planogram. It seems like Target is somewhere in the middle? At least that's what leadership told me when I asked.

Also, everybody keeps saying "adjacency" and I'm not sure what it means.

Last edited:
adjacency Is very important part your process. Please partner w/tl or etl about it.
The adjacency map is an overhead visual of how a particular floor area should be arranged. This map gives you the layout of where particular convertibles, shippers, and aisles should be placed. The adjacency map is primarily used in softlines and seasonal, but may be used in any department if needed. Each store layout has a unique adjacency map. The key point of an adjacency map is to ensure a consistent experience throughout every Target, but it also serves to ensure aisles are not cramped and product will fit correctly. The adjacency map is used by the PPTL to map out planograms and ensure accurate location changes. Copies of the adjacency map should be kept by the PPTL and PMT.

There is an adjacency map for every division that shows which pogs go where.

VMGs took the place of visual adjacencies which were very similar to VMGs, but usually had every rack with specific items and DPCIs were listed. VMGs have better picture quality, but honestly they’re not that different than visual adjacencies were. Except they’re supposed to be more of an inspiration, but all field leaders I’ve interacted with want them set exactly as sent. And they tend to have gigantic moves versus VAs which really only had major moves once a quarter...they didn’t get sent but every six weeks and were usually more of a refresh.

Thank you for the information!

I see stores that do "creative" things all the time though, which is why this is confusing. Stores put their graphic tees in with their denim wall or roll the sleeves of all the hanging button downs or even used decorative crates or boxes from the home department to display denim/belts, or put belts in with hanging denim, or other crossmerchandising.
I've been told to follow the vmg but after the product sells down or if sales are consistently low, then I can make more drastic changes. In your experience, is that true?
I worked as a dept manager at 2 different retail stores before this. One was very strict about following the planogram and the other didn't even have a planogram. It seems like Target is somewhere in the middle? At least that's what leadership told me when I asked.

Also, everybody keeps saying "adjacency" and I'm not sure what it means.

I can only assume that these other (creative) Target stores are stuck in 2017, where we were all encouraged to Be Bold and Be Creative. And it went waaaaaaayyyyy too far. There's some "interestingly creative displays" on Instagram, etc posted by Target VMs. GAG !!!!! :eek: Don't do it !!!!! We are to be following the VMG to "perfection". Like @Hardlinesmaster said..... it's to ensure a consistent experience for our Guests Target-wide.

So.... when your product sells down, and you need to flex other merch in it's place, our guidelines are this: What is the "intent" of the VMG and the product? If you sell thru the Floral Blazer in A*N*D; you would want to replace it w/ another Blazer, or Cardigan that can still represent the "intent". The flex merchandise would be a "subtle" change, not a drastic one. Your most current VMG is really only good for about 2 weeks...... then new merch starts to roll-in; and new "collections" arrive. Your best bet is to "discreetly" blend the new merch into the current VMG by "like" styles or silhouettes. And then, soon enough, you'll receive another (new) VMG.... pre-walk it with your Leadership; get a plan/Team in place.... and prepare to take action.

And...... lastly...... don't forget Hardlines ! You should make a routine of the Seasonal Flat, Hearth and Hand, P62, and the latest/greatest Toss Pillow wall. Your A&A/Hardlines time should be an 80/20 split, give or take.

Phew.... I need a drink. :D

So to summarize, I should follow the vmg as closely as possible. If it says "long sleeve and woven outfitting" then I should follow the picture and then blend in similar new merchandise that comes in. Basically stick to the theme. If I don't have enough of the product, don't just set a wall and leave it mostly empty. Sub in something that makes sense and then switch it once the correct product comes in. Make things look nice but don't go crazy with creativity.

It’s been a LONG while since I’ve done visuals but my take was always follow it as closely as possible. Don’t worry about what other stores do, just map it out with as much accuracy as possible. I assume “first two rows” has now become more “blocking,” that being said make sure your blocks/strikepoints match as best as possible. If your fixture is honestly too light support itself, condense forward and same brand behind. If your last row is not blocked out it shouldn’t be too much of an issue since normally that product is stuff that is discontinued, clearance, bulk.

Any changes parter with and ETL/STL and write it down in the big book in case the DTL were to ever walk it, they know why something was changed. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back