Archived Questions I don't know the answer to

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weeks are determined by pay period. This week isn't a pay week so according to Targets hours, next week is the final week of the "month".

The weeks are determined by pay period. This week isn't a pay week so according to Targets hours, next week is the final week of the "month".

That's only for certain stores. Aren't the stores broken up on a bi-weekly basis? For my store, this is a pat week. Or rather, I better get paid.

Last edited:
From Wikipedia:

The 4–4–5 calendar is a method of managing accounting periods, and is a common calendar structure for some industries such as retail and manufacturing.

The 4–4–5 calendar divides a year into four quarters of 13 weeks grouped into two 4-week "months" and one 5-week "month". The grouping of 13 weeks may also be set up as 5–4–4 weeks or 4–5–4.

When this type of calendar is in use, reports with month-by-month comparisons or trends are flawed as one month is 25% longer than the other two. It could still compare a period to the same period in the prior year, or use week by week data comparisons.

Its major advantage over a regular calendar is that the end date of the period is always the same day of the week, which is useful for shift or manufacturing planning as every period is the same length.

A disadvantage of the 4–4–5 calendar is that it has only 364 days (7 days x 52 weeks), meaning a 53rd week will need to be added every five or six years: this can make year-on-year comparison difficult.

Target runs on a 4-5-4 fiscal accounting calendar. This means the fiscal month of June started 6/3 and because it's a 5 week month, it runs through 7/7. If you really want to be confused, 2017 was actually a 53 week fiscal year which has screwed things up even more this year.

Bonus fun fact, since we've already covered the goofy weeks and months part of fiscal accounting, Target's fiscal year actually runs from February through January which means by the end of fiscal June on 7/7, Target will only be through five months of its fiscal calendar year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back