Archived Quit hiring people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason since the week before Christmas, my store has gone on a hiring rampage. Probably hired about 8 new SF people since then. I think we have more people now than we did in the early weeks of December. And since it is still February, there aren't hours to give anyone. I'm bottoming out around 22 hours, and they're still hiring.

Thankfully the person I was supposed to train yesterday NCNSed her way into a firing, but she'll probably be replaced by another unnecessary body.

For some reason since the week before Christmas, my store has gone on a hiring rampage. Probably hired about 8 new SF people since then. I think we have more people now than we did in the early weeks of December. And since it is still February, there aren't hours to give anyone. I'm bottoming out around 22 hours, and they're still hiring.

Thankfully the person I was supposed to train yesterday NCNSed her way into a firing, but she'll probably be replaced by another unnecessary body.

Speaks volumes about managements perception of your TMs. At least, that's how I see it.

always happens at my store, shorthanded november, december, and during the bounceback in january. Then, come end of february and usually in april/may, there is a ridiculous hiring spree. A lot of the people get a bad impression when they start with 4 other people, and the whole team is getting sent home early because work ran out. Then alot of them quit for better jobs.

It's probably to knock everybodies hours down so nobody gets benefits.

As you can imagine, the more employees to divide up the hours, the less likely that any of those employees are going to qualify for benefits, vacation, etc, you name it!

As you can imagine, the more employees to divide up the hours, the less likely that any of those employees are going to qualify for benefits, vacation, etc, you name it!

Exactly. Targets goal is no tm having more than 17 hours a week.

don't be upset, but there is another side of this topic. We have had an enormous amount of team members requesting time off in the next few months, as well as a few team members transferring to other locations and of course the always popular 3 days NCNS. I am completely sympathetic with those who feel their hours are being cut on purpose. We are having a hard time staffing the front lanes and salesfloor, and also getting team members willing to come in if someone calls off.

Again - I wish everyone could get as many hours as they desire. Keep letting HR and the GSTL's know you want more hours. I'll be sure to call you first!

I'm a Cart Attendant and I talked to my STL if I can get more hours as a cashier since we have been calling for 1+1 about every 10mins these past couple of weeks and I am getting some extra split shifts(half cart attendant, half cashier), and a extra shift as cashier or guest service if I sacrifice a day off.

Only getting 1 day off a week but atleast I'm staying in the 35 hour range instead of 20.

Word! Because of this I am barely getting any hrs and got dropped by my insurance. I know Target has hired alot of people in the past but this is a wee bit crazy!

hired so many people here :/ 90% of em are worthless but they gave them all the hours. Sucks being kind of high paid for my position , down to 21 hours :(

don't be upset, but there is another side of this topic. We have had an enormous amount of team members requesting time off in the next few months, as well as a few team members transferring to other locations and of course the always popular 3 days NCNS. I am completely sympathetic with those who feel their hours are being cut on purpose. We are having a hard time staffing the front lanes and salesfloor, and also getting team members willing to come in if someone calls off.

Again - I wish everyone could get as many hours as they desire. Keep letting HR and the GSTL's know you want more hours. I'll be sure to call you first!

Completely agree with your statement.. We are actually opening up 4 sales floor and 3 cashier positions this monday for that exact reason.

Yes, what a shame. Too bad every state doesn't have the law that Hawaii has. In Hawaii everyone employee who achieves any 4 week period with 19.5 average hours or higher automatically becomes eligible from that point through the rest of the plan year no matter what their avg hrs do for the rest of the plan year.
Exactly. Targets goal is no tm having more than 17 hours a week.

Is there anything that can be done to make employees better aware that hours are available like a sign up sheet for the people most interestedin acquiring last minute call in hours?

if you let the team leaders, GSTL's, GSA's, and the ETL's know - and you work hard when you come in, have a good attitude, you will be called. I know who at my store is likely to answer the phone and pick up hours. Check the swap board several times a week - and ask around. The POG TL, Flow TL, and Price accuracy TL quite often have hours besides cashiering and salesfloor.

^True this.
When I was GSA, I had an A-list of TMs that were good workers &, more importantly, they answered the PHONE!

Hmm...the only hiring my store has done since Christmahanukkwanzivus season was to hire a new GSTL. We kept way too many seasonal cashiers, even though our ETLs were saying in October that they wouldn't be able to keep any.

I know one yr they hired a crap ton of seasonals & kept most of them because our cashier ranks were so low that, even tho everyone was getting decent hrs, we didn't have a big enough pool to call for back-up & we had several that were 'attendance-challenged'. Once we picked some solid-performers out of the seasonal crop, we started cleaning house of the deadwood.
An occasional purge reminds the slackers that there's enough hard workers to CA them out the door if they're not careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back