Archived Random Hardlines Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've just started working on Hardlines and finished my training (which was only really one day). As far as I'm aware, I'm completed with training and start working on my own next shift. I still find myself with a few random questions that I'm sure have easy answers when it comes to hardlines. I didn't think of any of this while I was training so I thought I would just come on and ask.

1. What do I do with items that are opened, that have broken hangers (like for toys that are hung up, and the part you hang them up on is missing or broken), or are missing a barcode? Are these items called defects or is that referring to something else? Would I take them up to guest services? Also, what do I do with empty boxes on shelves that used to hold items? Do I just keep them there or throw them away?
2. I found a couple of items that were overstocked on the floor so when I tried to put them back in their spot they didn't fit because there wasn't any space left, what do I do with these items?
3. How do I look an item up using only the DCPI or a description? So for instance, if a customer comes to me looking for a certain item, and they show it to me on the Target website, how would I look that item up?
4. I don't really understand the call phones. My trainer briefly described it and I didn't really think much of it at the time but now I'm curious and want to make sure I know how to use it because they seem important. She said something about pressing the button on the side to clear it? Do I that right away or after I help the guest? How do I put guests on hold? Do I just look up whatever item they are asking for on the MyDevice? What guests usually ask on the phones? How do I know there's a call? Will the phone ring?
5. Can I just put clearance items on any clearance shelf in the section? That's what my trainer did so I'm assuming?
6. If a customer asks for something and I don't know where it is should I look it up on my device or ask over the walkie? I don't want to annoy people by constantly asking questions I don't know because I feel like I would ask a lot.
7. I really only did zoning and reshop during training, is there something else that I should know how to do so I can ask someone to show me how to do it? (I'll mainly be working night shifts and on occasion closing if that helps)
8. Are all the target stores the same when it comes to the letter of the aisles? So, for instance, I worked the toys and sporting goods section and they were the E aisles. If they are the same can someone give me a brief on what each area of the store is in correlation to its aisle letter? This one isn't really that important I just want to know.
9. Do I reshop everything that I find out of place in my zone even if it's not specifically for my zone? So for instance if I was in the toy section and found stamps or stickers from the card section of the store, would I still put that item back where it belongs? My trainer did a lot of the reshop while I was zoning so I never really got to do any of that.

I think that's everything, sorry for all the questions, I get anxious when I don't know things. Thanks :)

All stores are not the same, but:

1. If an item has a broken or missing hook to hang it up. Take it to guest services and tell them you need a replacement. Wait for them to put it on then take the item back to where it belongs. Broken or opened items should also be taken to guest services to deal with.

2. Those items need to be backstocked. If you don't know how to do that, then take them to the backroom and put them near the aisle that they go in. Ask someone where to put them if you don't know.

3. In MyWork 2.0, click the search icon, then just type the numbers in and press enter.

4. When a guest uses the call box, there will be an announcement over the intercom. Go to the box and hit the button on the side to clear it.

5. Typically, yes.

6. Try looking it up first. If you still can't find it, ask over the walkie.

7. Check with your LOD on this one.

8. No, stores are very different in this regard.

9. Hardlines people typically reshop everything they find that goes in hardlines, but not in other departments. Depends on the store, so ask there.

#6 with the Target app on your phone you can look up an item (by description or DPCI) and it will not only show you an isle, but if you click where it says the isle, it should also show a mini map of the store so you can describe where in the store it is

Since you are new, check in with the TL for the shift. They will assign you an area. Communicate to them if you have any questions.

1. What do I do with items that are opened, that have broken hangers (like for toys that are hung up, and the part you hang them up on is missing or broken), or are missing a barcode? Are these items called defects or is that referring to something else? Would I take them up to guest services? Also, what do I do with empty boxes on shelves that used to hold items? Do I just keep them there or throw them away?
GS, fixture room, or possible spill stations should have hook stickers you can apply to the product. They are clear sticky tabs with peg holes.
Broken items need to be defected. Usually GS but check with your stores process; backroom may also defect items.
Missing barcode/packaging - Take it to GS to be researched.
If packaging is destroyed but product is good, take it to GS for rewrap.
Empty boxes - It depends on the product and its display. Reply an example

2. I found a couple of items that were overstocked on the floor so when I tried to put them back in their spot they didn't fit because there wasn't any space left, what do I do with these items?
Check your MyDevice to scan item for any multiple locations. If all locations are filled, then take it back to backroom and place on Backstock tubs.
5. Can I just put clearance items on any clearance shelf in the section? That's what my trainer did so I'm assuming?
Clearance items need to be placed on clearance shelves within their matching department area. Electronic items to Electronics, HBA to HBA, Housewares to Housewares
6. If a customer asks for something and I don't know where it is should I look it up on my device or ask over the walkie? I don't want to annoy people by constantly asking questions I don't know because I feel like I would ask a lot.
Attempt an item description lookup. Then call over the walkie.
Or just tell the guest its on the gadget wall. lol hahahaha
7. I really only did zoning and reshop during training, is there something else that I should know how to do so I can ask someone to show me how to do it? (I'll mainly be working night shifts and on occasion closing if that helps)
Depends on your shift. If you are closing, then its just zoning & reshop for recovery, and helping guests . If you are opening, you may be pushing product to the floor.
One thing to definitely learn for the salesfloor is planogram numbers. Aisle ## ##-##-##; Aisle number, section, shelf/peg, item space.

8. Are all the target stores the same when it comes to the letter of the aisles? So, for instance, I worked the toys and sporting goods section and they were the E aisles. If they are the same can someone give me a brief on what each area of the store is in correlation to its aisle letter? This one isn't really that important I just want to know.
Stores can be different models and layouts. But usually products are in the same areas.
9. Do I reshop everything that I find out of place in my zone even if it's not specifically for my zone? So for instance if I was in the toy section and found stamps or stickers from the card section of the store, would I still put that item back where it belongs? My trainer did a lot of the reshop while I was zoning so I never really got to do any of that.
If its in reason or you know where the item goes without effort, then place it. Planogram numbers come in handy here. If you have trouble or don't have time, then communicate with the TM over the area that you have re-shop for them.

Usually, we have whoever is in a certain area do that reshop, and any other areas they encounter they sort at guest service so the people working those areas can pick it up to put away. So if you’re in domestics and find pharmacy or toys in your area, they go to the service desk for those people to pick up with their reshop. ASANTS, my store is higher volume and we still sort and stage a lot of reshop at the service desk.

It is suggested to get with your trainer or tl on how to fix/do these things correctly. We do are own defects & change counts.

For things that are missing barcodes, try to find the same item and send that along to GS so they have the numbers to reprint a ticket.

I also recommend seeing if GS can show you where to find the hanger stickies so you can fix them yourself (I carry around a sheet of them, personally) and how to print clearance and barcode stickers, and how to defect things out. As a closer you won't always have time to do those things, but if you have a label printer in electronics and GS, it's often faster for you to connect to that and print out defect & barcode labels as you go, rather than leaving it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back