Archived Recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we all know BTS talks about recognition Soooooo I was wondering what everyones definition is of "recognition". Recently had an executive explain to me that they weren't made to say "Thank You" or "Good Job" when you are doing your job. I let him know doing our jobs keeps Target open so appreciation would go along way. Again I was told for what just doing their job. WTF face took over and the SMHAOTFP syndrome kicked in. Please tell me dude was being an ass!

Recognition should be reserved for when someone exceeds expectations. People shouldn't be thanked for something they're already paid to do, unless they do more.

So a thank you for meeting expectations shouldn't happen. I'm talking on the spot verbal recognition.

Recognition should be reserved for when someone exceeds expectations. People shouldn't be thanked for something they're already paid to do, unless they do more.
QFE. I refuse to give recognition for doing a basic task, unless it's a newbie. Go above and beyond, solve a problem, do something unexpected but worthwhile. There are too many people that expect to be recognized for simply showing up. I realize how that's a major chore for some people, but I'm certainly not recognizing you for it.

Giving someone "recognization" for simply doing their job devalues whatever little pride is derived from getting it.

Recognization just becomes meh...

But, you can never say please and thank you too much.

QFE. I refuse to give recognition for doing a basic task, unless it's a newbie. Go above and beyond, solve a problem, do something unexpected but worthwhile. There are too many people that expect to be recognized for simply showing up. I realize how that's a major chore for some people, but I'm certainly not recognizing you for it.

Recognition comes in many forms from a simple thank you to using the 549 account. If at the end of the day your task is complete...thank you...simple concept

When I talk about recognization, I mean when they use that exact word - like it's so special and important.

I'm not talking about simply being polite.

Targets expectations are sometimes unrealistic. I as leadership make sure I can meet thoae expectations before I forget barking at my team about not making them. If expectations are unrealistic I will push back. I'm a BRTL so everyday my team works in an overheated, space restrained, and physically demanding work center. So yeah I recognize their efforts and completing task on a regular. Mind you the new review system bumped more people into the just doing your job bucket and that's with doing extra effort. Maybe they need to redo the whole recognition idea and break it into appreciation for those who just do their job (sarcasm) and recognition for those who exceeded their job.

I think verbal recognition is always positive. It cost nothing to give and boost morale.

I agree that overdoing it with gifts is problematic. It becomes an expectation, and you shouldn't get Starbucks for doing your basic job.

I don't ever want to be recognized over the walkie. À sincere thankful does wonders for me.

Last edited:
No one should do more than they see paid to do either
That's how you eventually get paid more. That logic is flawed. Nobody who makes good money got there because they just did what they were paid to do, they did more and it lead to being paid more. Youre not going to be paid more just because. It is earned buddy.

I don't ever want to be recognized over the walkie.
That is the only way it's done at my store. That, or at a huddle where they pass the 'lil recog cards around so TM's can document the "recognization" that was given. Cards for the board! Woot!

That's how you eventually get paid more. That logic is flawed. Nobody who makes good money got there because they just did what they were paid to do, they did more and it lead to being paid more. Youre not going to be paid more just because. It is earned buddy.

This is true the merit raises aren't huge but they add up. My old store had a cart attendant pulling in 17.50 an hour because of several DEOS

I think there are circumstances where you do say Thank You for someone doing what they are paid to do. Think about cart attendants! Rain, Snow,100 degrees, -30 degrees not to even mention bathrooms.They deserve "I really appreciate you working under such awful weather conditions or cleaning up such an awful mess. Sales floor for backing up quickly when there is reshop stacking up, and pulls piling up. They deserve a Thanks for busting your butt today. It doesn't cost a damn thing to say Thank you and mean it

So we all know BTS talks about recognition Soooooo I was wondering what everyones definition is of "recognition". Recently had an executive explain to me that they weren't made to say "Thank You" or "Good Job" when you are doing your job. I let him know doing our jobs keeps Target open so appreciation would go along way. Again I was told for what just doing their job. WTF face took over and the SMHAOTFP syndrome kicked in. Please tell me dude was being an ass!
Saying a simple thanks for doing something is just basic politeness.

This is true the merit raises aren't huge but they add up. My old store had a cart attendant pulling in 17.50 an hour because of several DEOS
What happens when everyone goes above and beyond but not everyone gets the best score because it's not in the budget?

I think verbal recognition is always positive. It cost nothing to give and boost morale.

I agree that overdoing it with gifts is problematic. It becomes and expectation and you shouldn't get Starbucks for doing your basic job.

I don't ever want to be recognized over the walkie. À sincere thankful does wonders for me.[/QUOTE]
So much this. Hate fake recognition over walkie too lol

Recognition has become scarce at my store. Most of the time they don't acknowledge the ridiculous expectations they put on us until they see us visibly stressed out and then we get the ol' back pat.

There is a trend of giving "recognition" (aka bribes to stay late and/or also do someone else's workload) by offering Starbucks. It sucks for those of us that don't drink Starbucks and have to decline every time, even though we usually end up doing both things. But if it gets me more hours, then whatevs.

Working as a Signing Ninja you are a team of one so things are a little different but I passed out cards almost every day.
Having somebody stop what they were doing for their team and help me was a well worth a card.
For the guys in the back it seemed like every one of my pallets were badly made or stupidly large.
Having them take good care of it, not crush the contents, and haul it all the way to the fixture room, damn right people got cat cards.
A softlines TM spends twenty minutes putting away all the fixtures instead of just leaving the cart in the fixture room gets a card (actually that one is more in giving them some for something they are supposed to do but it happens so rarely you really need to reward good behavior).

So I think giving out cards is worth it just as a way of letting folks know you appreciate what they are doing to help you.

I'm all about being thanked for my work. But things like the "You Make Target" cards have lost their meaning because often times they were forced recognition because leads would make TMs or other leads write them. I use to work in a store that would often reward the team with free drinks and/or Starbucks and/or meal. Those are all fine and dandy but when those things stop then performance changes.

Working as a Signing Ninja you are a team of one so things are a little different but I passed out cards almost every day.
Having somebody stop what they were doing for their team and help me was a well worth a card.
For the guys in the back it seemed like every one of my pallets were badly made or stupidly large.
Having them take good care of it, not crush the contents, and haul it all the way to the fixture room, damn right people got cat cards.
A softlines TM spends twenty minutes putting away all the fixtures instead of just leaving the cart in the fixture room gets a card (actually that one is more in giving them some for something they are supposed to do but it happens so rarely you really need to reward good behavior).

So I think giving out cards is worth it just as a way of letting folks know you appreciate what they are doing to help you.

I passively-aggressively stare at anybody who comes into my fixture room to ensure they put their stuff away.

They do.

I actually hate the cards. As soon as they started the "quota per shift" cards they lost all meaning. When we are expecting a visit the execs will sit at TSC and write a shit ton so the board looks full. My favorite recognition is a face to face thank you, with the reason I am being thanked. When they give a group "great job" it means absolutely nothing.

I've had Tms bitch about never being recognized, not a lot of jobs recognize hard work, some of these guys came from working at a fast food joint to an entire huddle clapping for them. I dare anyone here to say they didn't get a little mushy from being acknowledged the very first time.

After a while, you Just don't give a shit anymore. You become numb to it, you're just there because you got bills to pay.

Real issue is people starving for recognition, that wanna-be tl worker who goes above and beyond for it, the tls/etls who have a green metric work-center, receives showers of recognition while you're struggling in yours with little support.

It's become a race to who can get the dangling carrot quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back