Archived REDcard & Direct Deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandie89

ElectronicsTM
I wasn't sure if this was fitting for the REDcard thread, but feel free to move it if it belongs there instead.

So, I'm interested in getting the debit card version of the REDcard. I was in orientation today and we didn't get to our tax forms and direct deposit information, I guess they're saving that for our eHR/Cashier training day. Anyway, the girl I was sitting next to during orientation said it wasn't even worth it to get the credit or debit versions of the card because it's just 5% off. See, that would really be helpful to me since I have two girls, and with the holidays coming up, I could really use all the discounts I can get for their gifts.

My question is since I don't have a traditional bank account (I use NetSpend because I can't stand big banks tbh), would I still be eligible to apply for the debit card? I have a routing and account number for the NetSpend card but I don't have any blank checks. So, how would I go about getting the REDcard, or is this something I should talk to HR about? I just assumed that if you had the routing number and account number for your card, you'd be good to go (isn't that all the information they need off the check anyway?). I also have a sheet that came with my card that has all of the information on it, such as my name and address along with the R&A numbers, if that helps. I'm hoping someone else might have had a similar situation and would be able to help a newbie out.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can apply for the debit version online and your store will still get credit.

I've saved $165 this year with my debit RedCard, so I consider it worth it :)

I just applied for it using my NetSpend information and it said they couldn't process the application. I triple checked everything, so maybe they can't do it for me since it's not a big bank. If I get the Target pay card or whatever it is, will it work that way?

You would not get blank checks or anything that would work for the redcard. If you go through Target Credit Union, you can do it that way though.

You can also just try for the credit card. Personally, I don't recommend it if I'm being totally honest because the interest is pretty high. BUT....if you just pay it off immediately, that's not an issue. You can pay for it in store, or online. Often what a lot of guests will do, it use their Target Credit card, and then right after they finish checking out, they come over to guest service with their receipt, and just pay off that amount. So, worth considering I guess.

I just checked...my interest rate is 22.90%. Yikes. Luckily I don't use it that often.

You can also just try for the credit card. Personally, I don't recommend it if I'm being totally honest because the interest is pretty high. BUT....if you just pay it off immediately, that's not an issue. You can pay for it in store, or online. Often what a lot of guests will do, it use their Target Credit card, and then right after they finish checking out, they come over to guest service with their receipt, and just pay off that amount. So, worth considering I guess.

I just checked...my interest rate is 22.90%. Yikes. Luckily I don't use it that often.
I know I would not qualify for the credit card, I have no credit whatsoever, so that's a no go right now. I would have to put money toward one of those starter credit cards to establish credit and I'm not wanting to do that at the moment.
You would not get blank checks or anything that would work for the redcard. If you go through Target Credit Union, you can do it that way though.
I was able to reapply for the debit card online and was given the 'We're reviewing your application. Please wait 7-10 days for a letter in the mail' bit (which I wasn't given the first time around), so I don't know if that means I was denied for it or what. I don't know how anyone can be denied a debit card but whatever. Another reason I want it is because I'm the type of person who doesn't like carrying cash around, and I don't want to withdraw money every time I want to use my discount card.

You might want to consider joining the Target Credit Union (they are not like banks at all) if your Netspend information is rejected. Then you can reapply using the credit union's routing number and your account number.

Plus, you get paid on Wednesday night (at 10) as opposed to Friday. :)

You might want to consider joining the Target Credit Union (they are not like banks at all) if your Netspend information is rejected. Then you can reapply using the credit union's routing number and your account number.

Plus, you get paid on Wednesday night (at 10) as opposed to Friday. :)
I'll definitely look into that option. Thanks!

It is entirely possible it will be approved. But I'm betting not. The reason it wasn't approved instantly is that the instant approval process on a Target debit card has a check where it checks with a major check clearing house to see what your history of writing checks is. If you bounce a lot or have never written any checks, they won't approve it, because they are afraid you may bounce a red card transaction. I have no idea if a full review of your (lack of) check writing history will help you here or not.

Some people here have said if you call the number and explain you are a team member, it will help the approval process. I have no idea if this is true.

Maybe I'm confused but I didn't think you could get your team discount if you didn't have your Redcard or pay cash. I hardly ever have cash on me, plus I'd just as soon get the additional 5%. Is that not true?

Maybe I'm confused but I didn't think you could get your team discount if you didn't have your Redcard or pay cash. I hardly ever have cash on me, plus I'd just as soon get the additional 5%. Is that not true?

You can only use your discount with Cash, the Red Card (for an additonal 5%), or a Giftcard. Before I gave in and signed up for my debit redcard, I just reloaded a giftcard a bunch of times.

You can only use your discount with Cash, the Red Card (for an additonal 5%), or a Giftcard. Before I gave in and signed up for my debit redcard, I just reloaded a giftcard a bunch of times.
You can also get it with Target Credit union, and the pay card

So can you ring up the items, see what your balance would be with the 10% discount then purchase a giftcard with that balance with your debit card (from a third-party bank) or would that be against the rules? I've heard different things.

I was able to do that at my previous job but they also allowed us to use our personal debit cards to get our employee discount, we just had to use their store's credit card if we went that route. Different companies, different policies, though.

Last edited:
If you already answered this, I apologize, but why not just get a Target Prepaid Red Card? You can have your paycheck direct deposited onto it as well.

If you already answered this, I apologize, but why not just get a Target Prepaid Red Card? You can have your paycheck direct deposited onto it as well.
I'm up for that as well, I'm just wondering if I'd be able to use that card alone to get the additional 5% off?

Don't forget checks! You can use your discount with a check as well.

So can you ring up the items, see what your balance would be with the 10% discount then purchase a giftcard with that balance with your debit card (from a third-party bank) or would that be against the rules? I've heard different things.

This is against Target policy and could get you fired. At least one TM at my store was fired for circumventing the TM discount policy.

I was able to do that at my previous job but they also allowed us to use our personal debit cards to get our employee discount, we just had to use their store's credit card if we went that route. Different companies, different policies, though.

It is in the handbook and says you cannot do this. How much your store cares about this may vary, but you have to decide if it's worth losing your job over.

This is only an option if it is available in the OP's area. The closest store to me that you can get them is 3hrs away

Don't forget checks! You can use your discount with a check as well.

This is against Target policy and could get you fired. At least one TM at my store was fired for circumventing the TM discount policy.
It is in the handbook and says you cannot do this. How much your store cares about this may vary, but you have to decide if it's worth losing your job over.
Yeah, it's definitely not worth it. I thought I would ask, though.

This is only an option if it is available in the OP's area. The closest store to me that you can get them is 3hrs away
I'm not sure if it's available where I live, I'll have to check. But I think I'm going to wait until I find out if I was approved for the debit card through my NetSpend account before putting in any direct deposit information. If I wasn't, I'll either go with the TCU (can you use that card everywhere and do you have to close the account if you quit or get fired?) or another bank before applying again.

I'm not sure if it's available where I live, I'll have to check. But I think I'm going to wait until I find out if I was approved for the debit card through my NetSpend account before putting in any direct deposit information. If I wasn't, I'll either go with the TCU (can you use that card everywhere and do you have to close the account if you quit or get fired?) or another bank before applying again.
You can use that card everywhere and I don't think that you have to close the account if you leave, but I could be wrong.

Nah you don't have to close the account. It's related to Target in name only and the fact you can use your discount. It's run by Baxter Credit Union.

Thanks for all of your help and putting up with all of my newbie questions, everyone, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back