Refuse for backing up cashier

Did anyone has experienced TM hides and refuses the cashier backup calls??
One of softline TMs refuse the backup calls bcuz of "germs", and I believe TL knows this thing but didn't say anything.
That really annoys me sometimes when I run back n forward many times that no one wants to take turns for the call.

I hated ringing before the pandemic, but since, I definitely do not feel safe at the front end. It has nothing to do with the clothes, it's being that close to that many guests. The plexiglass isn't floor to ceiling. I mean, it provides maybe a bit of protection from spittle and an illusion of security, I suppose.

I ignore backup calls. It's the one area where I admit I am being a douche and not a team player. If confronted I will explain that I do not feel safe and take it from there.

i refuse to back up bcos of my anxiety, if i'm on a register i will literally just break down within minutes

im not sure abt the whole germs thing tho.... even if people cant try clothes on in style u sure af bet they're feeling the clothes up nice n good
I have a team member that has the same problem and actually brought a doctors note.

I hated ringing before the pandemic, but since, I definitely do not feel safe at the front end. It has nothing to do with the clothes, it's being that close to that many guests. The plexiglass isn't floor to ceiling. I mean, it provides maybe a bit of protection from spittle and an illusion of security, I suppose.

I ignore backup calls. It's the one area where I admit I am being a douche and not a team player. If confronted I will explain that I do not feel safe and take it from there.
I just hate the new pos

Said this before on another thread but it is still true : too many tm’s at our store are allowed a “no cashiering“ pass because of a language barrier.
There are days I look at the grid and know there are very few available back-ups. The same 2/3 answer a dozen calls per shift.
I thought cashiering is part of expectations but EQUAL expectations is NOT a thing in our store.

Did anyone has experienced TM hides and refuses the cashier backup calls??
One of softline TMs refuse the backup calls bcuz of "germs", and I believe TL knows this thing but didn't say anything.
That really annoys me sometimes when I run back n forward many times that no one wants to take turns for the call.

There was 1 TM that got away with this at my store everyone else would get called out by NAME to be on a register

Said this before on another thread but it is still true : too many tm’s at our store are allowed a “no cashiering“ pass because of a language barrier.
There are days I look at the grid and know there are very few available back-ups. The same 2/3 answer a dozen calls per shift.
I thought cashiering is part of expectations but EQUAL expectations is NOT a thing in our store.
Same at my store. Very rarely will you see GM DBO’s respond to a back up call. The only option would be someone from style. The less than fluent English speakers you will never see on a check lane. Hey, if I can engage with a guest who doesn’t speak English well then I don’t see why they can’t.

Last edited:
Same at my store. Very rarely will you see GM DBO’s respond to a back up call. The only option would be someone from style. The less than fluent English speakers you will never see on a check lane. Hey, if I can engage with a guest who doesn’t speak English well then I don’t see why they can’t.
Agreed. We've had so many team members use this excuse over the years to not do backups yet we've had people with significant hearing and cognitive impairments who have no problem ringing up a couple of guests. This is the digital era when almost everyone has a smart phone with some kind of translator app readily available when needed. If the language barrier is why they don't know how to operate a register there is a service for a free translator, provided by Target, that could help with them getting trained.

This comes down to store leadership. I always find a way to communicate with a guest on the sales floor no matter the language barrier. I often have guests come through my checkout line who only speak Spanish and I am able to take care of them.

Our cashiers run the reshop back to the floor most days. But we also hardly ever have any calls for backups either. 🤷🏻‍♀️

But they don't. No matter how slow it is, cashiers are never tasked with zoning or reshop. It's one of corporate 's rules about modernization.
my store used to have a huge problem with cashiers just standing around and chatting while the sales floor was busy ringing people up. now they are sent to go work gm freight if the front end is slow and sometimes you even see the SELs and ETL picking OPUs

Back