Archived Registers crashing since chip update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox

Backroom/SFS Slug
Not sure if this is a wide-spread phenomenon, but at least at my store since we've gotten the chip update probably around 5-6 of our 20 registers are constantly down due to issues with the card readers and other software issues. We've had to resort to putting almost half of our cashiers on the back lanes directly behind the front-most check lanes, which causes a lot of congestion and confusion. Plus, even as the GSA/GSTL we don't even know which register works and which one doesn't since they go down and come back up seemingly from day to day.

I don't think there's anything that can be done to fix this until the next POS update, but I figured I just wanted to see if any of you guys were experiencing anything similar.

I was moved to a lane that kept crashing to test it out and see how long it would take to crash. My first transaction, it didn't crash, but the payment pad would not work. It didn't even go to the screen telling the amount due after I hit total.

I also has a guest trying to pay with a chip card and another pad wouldn't read her chip and would not accept the payment even after having her input all her own credit card info.

I hope Spot figures out these issues. Honestly, these chip card readers are so annoying. I have nightmares of that damn beeping sound from people taking out their card too early! Lol.

Exact same thing has happened at my store. I just hope there is an update that will make them more stable in time for the holidays because come that time we won't have the option to be bouncing around the lanes. Also, if I have to hear one more guest complain about their debit chip card being run as credit I will lose it. The new update should also allow a debit card to be run as debit.

Personally, I haven't had any problems that I couldn't fix by just restarting the transition. My register won't crash, but sometimes if a guest slides their card, and THEN tries to insert it for the chip, the pin pad won't read the chip. It will appear to be frozen. In cases like that, I'll just suspend the transaction because that will force the pin pad to stop the process it's stuck on. Then I scan the suspend receipt and have the guest properly use their card.

For us, registers haven't been crashing, it's just more like if there's a problem, it's not always obvious how to fix it. I've found that registers that have supposedly crashes, will work completely fine for me.

Yes, it happens at our store as well. Not so much this week though. I hate that annoying sound the card reader makes. (For pete's sake, take your card out, take your card out!)

It is all I can do to NOT roll my eyes when people don't put the chip end of their card into the card reader slot FIRST! Or the people who I ask Oh, does your card have a chip in it? They're like What? What are you talking about? Did these banks not send them info when they got the stupid chip card? Oye. Sometimes when a guest gets flustered I just stand there and let them read the card reader and figure it out. I'm tired of having to explain the process. I'm talking younger people. I always help the grannies and grampies! lol

I'd like to know how the new chip cards increase security??? Anyone can stick a card in the slot and run it as credit! It's not like we ID the guest. It doesn't ask for a pin. Seems to be a waste of time and resources.

I'd like to know how the new chip cards increase security??? Anyone can stick a card in the slot and run it as credit! It's not like we ID the guest. It doesn't ask for a pin. Seems to be a waste of time and resources.

You can't clone the chip.

A magnetic strip holds a secret number, and if someone knows that number they can claim to be the owner of the card. But if a bad guy swipes the card, they then know the number, and can make their own card, i.e. "cloning". This has turned out to be a major practical problem with magstripe cards.

A chip also holds a secret number. However, it is securely embedded in the chip. When you use the card, the chip performs a public key operation that proves it knows this secret number. However, it never reveals that secret number. If you put a chipped card in a bad guys machine, they can impersonate you for that one transaction, but they cannot impersonate you in the future.

All of the above assumes that the implementation of the chip is good. Some chips have been known to have implementation flaws that leak the secret code. However, chip and pin is now pretty mature, so I expect most of these issues have been ironed out.

Totally stolen from here: http://security.stackexchange.com/a/49236

So yes, if someone physically has your card, there isn't much in the way of security (at least not until PINs start working), but the idea is its far more difficult for someone to copy the card.

@CashMonkey I've been telling guests this since the chip reader was implemented. I love the guest who says, well, if they steal my card I'm not protected. And it takes everything in me to say "no shit." I mean, if they stole your old card, you wouldn't be protected either. Ugh.

Yes, it happens at our store as well. Not so much this week though. I hate that annoying sound the card reader makes. (For pete's sake, take your card out, take your card out!)

It is all I can do to NOT roll my eyes when people don't put the chip end of their card into the card reader slot FIRST! Or the people who I ask Oh, does your card have a chip in it? They're like What? What are you talking about? Did these banks not send them info when they got the stupid chip card? Oye. Sometimes when a guest gets flustered I just stand there and let them read the card reader and figure it out. I'm tired of having to explain the process. I'm talking younger people. I always help the grannies and grampies! lol

Man alive, I wanted to punch this guest the other night. First, she was on her damn phone and didn't speak at all. Second, she swiped the card and the machine honked at her (that sound is very obnoxious). She proceeds to insert the chip and immediately remove it, to which I told her PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE YOUR CARD UNTIL THE MACHINE TELLS YOU TO DO SO (yes, I said it loudly because her phone was still planted on her ear). What did she do? Yep, you guessed it! For fuck's sake, put the fucking phone down for two seconds so you can listen to what I'm telling you! I couldn't mask my annoyance during that transaction and I really didn't care either.

@CashMonkey I've been telling guests this since the chip reader was implemented. I love the guest who says, well, if they steal my card I'm not protected. And it takes everything in me to say "no shit." I mean, if they stole your old card, you wouldn't be protected either. Ugh.

Man alive, I wanted to punch this guest the other night. First, she was on her damn phone and didn't speak at all. Second, she swiped the card and the machine honked at her (that sound is very obnoxious). She proceeds to insert the chip and immediately remove it, to which I told her PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE YOUR CARD UNTIL THE MACHINE TELLS YOU TO DO SO (yes, I said it loudly because her phone was still planted on her ear). What did she do? Yep, you guessed it! For fuck's sake, put the fucking phone down for two seconds so you can listen to what I'm telling you! I couldn't mask my annoyance during that transaction and I really didn't care either.

Wow, I must've had the same guest. Lady was on her phone the entire time talking like she was either getting or giving the juiciest gossip she's ever had. Didn't say a word to me. I could tell the lady behind her was getting real annoyed. I thought she was going to say something but she never did. The first lady fumbled with her card and I just stood there and watched her...like watching a train wreck. LOL
Seriously.....I'm so tired of instructing full grown adults about how to use the stupid card reader when instructions are RIGHT THERE! (We have stickers by the card reader). People act like their being asked to do brain surgery... Ugh!!

Exact same thing has happened at my store. I just hope there is an update that will make them more stable in time for the holidays because come that time we won't have the option to be bouncing around the lanes. Also, if I have to hear one more guest complain about their debit chip card being run as credit I will lose it. The new update should also allow a debit card to be run as debit.
Debit works with some cards. We've had guests use them at our store....

Debit works with some cards. We've had guests use them at our store....
I don't think they're being run as debit though.

Really hating the POS right now. Everything is much more complicated and when the reader doesn't work and we have to guide guests through entering their card information. I feel like getting preschoolers to do something is much easier than this.

I don't think they're being run as debit though.

Really hating the POS right now. Everything is much more complicated and when the reader doesn't work and we have to guide guests through entering their card information. I feel like getting preschoolers to do something is much easier than this.
I thought someone used one as debit, but I could be wrong....probably am. Lol!

Debit chip cards can be used to pay but they are run as credit. This means that the guest doesn't have to type in their pin and they don't have the option to get cash back. I hear about 20 complaints a day from guests about this and I'm so tired of listening to it.

Wait'll these people start returning all of their crap and they won't get the option for cash back because it was ran as credit. That'll be a barrel of fun.
Already started happening. They so far just get grumpy and will wait the however many business days for it to go back.

Yes this happens so much...... We got these a week ago and they crash so many times! It is really annoying! Guests get angry and I say sorry over and over again or their card doesn't work and they have to punch it in manually and it is a total disaster. I hate the chip card reader. I get it is supposed to be safe but at the same time they do realize say if someone steals a wallet ( we don't check credit cards) they can have fun with the card and off to the races they go...... Yes it stops counterfeits but it doesn't stop stolen credit cards.

Yes this happens so much...... We got these a week ago and they crash so many times! It is really annoying! Guests get angry and I say sorry over and over again or their card doesn't work and they have to punch it in manually and it is a total disaster. I hate the chip card reader. I get it is supposed to be safe but at the same time they do realize say if someone steals a wallet ( we don't check credit cards) they can have fun with the card and off to the races they go...... Yes it stops counterfeits but it doesn't stop stolen credit cards.

What an over exaggeration. Of course little can be done to stop actual, physical theft. But you're not liable for those purchases anyway if you tell your bank. The chip card is still more secure. (for now) It's just new. Give it a year, and everyone will be pros once again for the most part. Despite magnetic strips being the norm for nearly 50 years, I still had guests too stupid to swipe their card correctly.

The system has a lot of bugs still, but most of them can easily be fixed with some basic trouble shooting until we get another update. Educate your guests.

It's very tough to educate people who can't read and follow the simplest of directions and are frustrated when something doesn't work immediately.

Don't be silly, a majority of people will get it. The idiots whom don't are the minority. They're only significant because they're fun to complain about.

Oh how I wish this was the case for me. I have to hold every other guest's hand through the very simple process, some of those being people that have already been told before how to do it. Not to mention a ton of these people do nothing but complain about it. I'm all for the added security but I just wish I could fast forward into the future so that most people knew what they are doing.

Oh how I wish this was the case for me. I have to hold every other guest's hand through the very simple process, some of those being people that have already been told before how to do it. Not to mention a ton of these people do nothing but complain about it. I'm all for the added security but I just wish I could fast forward into the future so that most people knew what they are doing.

Duh, it's still new. Be prepared to do that for a year at the very least.

We had our chip machines "go live" on a Thursday...then Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were the first days of "tax-free" on school supplies. That weekend was the very first time that Ohio had a "tax free" time. Our registers were crashing like crazy and the readers weren't working.....on one of the busiest weekends of the year and we have to start with the chips then!! It was awful!!!

Almost two weeks into the new chip stuff and were still having the registers crashing like crazy! There are just too many issues to deal with all at the same time.
The new payment system is so incredibly SLOW and having to help the guests learn how to use the machines has really made our speed scores go WAY WAY down. Besides the slowness of the systems, sometimes the card readers just won't work. We've had a lot of trouble with the machines even accepting the Red Card!! Really??
I thought that Target Canada had already had the chip machines.....so shouldn't most of these problems have been discovered long before now?!?!?!! Of course, maybe it was problems with the chip machines that helped in the demise of Target Canada.

It's also very frustrating trying to help guests at Guest Services. I haven't had any "new training" with how everything works now. About half the time I need someone to help me (because no one has spent the time to point out the new "process") and half the time the registers don't work...so I often don't know if the problem is me or if it is the machines.

I feel like a complete idiot because I don't yet know how most things work now....and I've been at my store for several years and the guests expect that I know what I'm doing. Heck, I'm expecting that I know what I'm doing....and I don't.

The other day I went on to the "new workbench" and looked to find some information as to how things are now being done at GS. I printed off 7 pages of information (to help me with the new stuff going on) and took the pages home to try to learn more.

Oh...speaking of the "new workbench"......it is incredibly difficult to use now. As a "regular" TM I don't go on workbench that much....but they sure didn't make it any easier to try to figure things out.

Right about now, I'm ready to pull the plugs on all the "new" stuff we're using....and I'm about ready to toss the new workbench process out, too!

My patience is about to come to an end!!

We had our chip machines "go live" on a Thursday...then Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were the first days of "tax-free" on school supplies. That weekend was the very first time that Ohio had a "tax free" time. Our registers were crashing like crazy and the readers weren't working.....on one of the busiest weekends of the year and we have to start with the chips then!! It was awful!!!

Almost two weeks into the new chip stuff and were still having the registers crashing like crazy! There are just too many issues to deal with all at the same time.
The new payment system is so incredibly SLOW and having to help the guests learn how to use the machines has really made our speed scores go WAY WAY down. Besides the slowness of the systems, sometimes the card readers just won't work. We've had a lot of trouble with the machines even accepting the Red Card!! Really??
I thought that Target Canada had already had the chip machines.....so shouldn't most of these problems have been discovered long before now?!?!?!! Of course, maybe it was problems with the chip machines that helped in the demise of Target Canada.

It's also very frustrating trying to help guests at Guest Services. I haven't had any "new training" with how everything works now. About half the time I need someone to help me (because no one has spent the time to point out the new "process") and half the time the registers don't work...so I often don't know if the problem is me or if it is the machines.

I feel like a complete idiot because I don't yet know how most things work now....and I've been at my store for several years and the guests expect that I know what I'm doing. Heck, I'm expecting that I know what I'm doing....and I don't.

The other day I went on to the "new workbench" and looked to find some information as to how things are now being done at GS. I printed off 7 pages of information (to help me with the new stuff going on) and took the pages home to try to learn more.

Oh...speaking of the "new workbench"......it is incredibly difficult to use now. As a "regular" TM I don't go on workbench that much....but they sure didn't make it any easier to try to figure things out.

Right about now, I'm ready to pull the plugs on all the "new" stuff we're using....and I'm about ready to toss the new workbench process out, too!

My patience is about to come to an end!!

Your ETL-GE should have placed a training card at every register that explains all the changes and how to do things the new way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back