Regular registers as SCO

I read somewhere (I think it was on here) that the regular registers can be turned into a SCO with a conveyor belt. Has your store ever done that? If so do they make it card only or how do they handle cash? If not does your store even know it’s an option?
Personally I think that it should be mandatory that at least one regular register should be in SCO mode this holiday season per store. The advantage is that more people can use SCO if they have a lot of items. Another hidden advantage is that TMs who aren’t trained to use a register can help out by unloading the carts and or bagging the items.

I read somewhere (I think it was on here) that the regular registers can be turned into a SCO with a conveyor belt. Has your store ever done that? If so do they make it card only or how do they handle cash? If not does your store even know it’s an option?
Personally I think that it should be mandatory that at least one regular register should be in SCO mode this holiday season per store. The advantage is that more people can use SCO if they have a lot of items. Another hidden advantage is that TMs who aren’t trained to use a register can help out by unloading the carts and or bagging the items.
Card only

Last edited:
Nothing is stopping guests with a lot of items from using SCO now. I do it all the time when I grocery shop. And I would dislike it if someone came to help unload or bag my items- I have my own preferences for that.
You could always say no if a TM asks if they can help you.
Also I think the belts make it faster to use SCO compared to ones without it. I’ve been to stores with SCO belts before you scan and after you scan. The time I’m at the checkout is faster with the belts.

Also I think the belts make it faster to use SCO compared to ones without it. I’ve been to stores with SCO belts before you scan and after you scan. The time I’m at the checkout is faster with the belts.

It's an extra unnecessary step. You are wanting the guest to unload onto a belt, then scan, and then bag everything. That's touching everything 2 extra times. Without the belts, you pick up an item, scan it, and bag all in one step. Much more efficient.

But I get that not everyone easily grasps streamlined processes. For some, each and every little step is important.

Nothing is stopping guests with a lot of items from using SCO now. I do it all the time when I grocery shop. And I would dislike it if someone came to help unload or bag my items- I have my own preferences for that.
The problem I have with that is sometimes people come in with 20= items including a dozen plus smaller items and clothes and try to scan everything in their cart with the hand scanner and no bagging. Items are missed (whether by accident or on purpose). I am not talking about people with large items or boxes lined up neatly so that they can easily go down the line.

I agree with you. The local grocery store used to have individual lanes for self-checkout with belts and it so was much easier, especially with bigger loads. They changed to this boxy configuration
where everyone is on top of each other, no belts and it's annoying. I find the lanes more efficient in some ways.

It's an extra unnecessary step. You are wanting the guest to unload onto a belt, then scan, and then bag everything. That's touching everything 2 extra times. Without the belts, you pick up an item, scan it, and bag all in one step. Much more efficient.

But I get that not everyone easily grasps streamlined processes. For some, each and every little step is important.

Different people have different preferences. Trying to bag several items with a configuration similar to our self checkouts can be cumbersome. I find the lanes much smoother and easier with larger loads. Plus I like being in my own lane. But I do find it annoying having someone right behind me in line breathing down my neck, sometimes starting to scan their items before I'm even finished. So there are plusses and minuses to both.

But I do find it annoying having someone right behind me in line breathing down my neck, sometimes starting to scan their items before I'm even finished. So there are plusses and minuses to both.

If someone starts scanning before I'm done bagging, they have no one to blame but themselves should some of their purchases wind up in my bags...

Back