Remembering 9/11

Events of certain days will remain in our hearts and minds no matter how many years pass. I remember where I was and what I was doing when Kennedy was assisinated and when the Challenger crashed as well as other events in history. The events of 9/11/01 is another. We were on vacation visiting friends in California. I woke up early to hear the TV on in our host's livingroom. I asked him what was happening and he told me a plane just crashed into one of the twin towers. I sat there glued to the TV, as did the others when they got up.

9/11/2001 The day super heroes put their capes on & came out of hiding. Thank you to all NYPD, FDNY, and rescue workers. 2,819 People Lost, 343 FDNY, 23 NYPD, 37 Port authority officers. God bless America! NEVER FORGET!!

Where were you when the world stopped turning (Alan Jackson song)

What were you doing when you heard the news?

lovecats

Free At Last!
I was working as a bank teller when we got the news. One of our loan officers brought up the tv from the conference room and we watched it all day. It was an extremely slow day because of this. It still brings tears to my eyes to think about it and reading the stories in the Parade from the paper.

Ten years ago today, I was living with my boyfriend (now ex). I was between temp jobs at the time. He was at work. I was listening to the Howard Stern show that morning. I think they were talking about Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf's funeral, which was the night before when someone remarked that one of the WTC towers was on fire. I went into the living room and turned on the Today Show and I think I may have seen the 2nd plane hit. I grabbed the house phone and the cell phone and called my boyfriend and my parents and my sister, who lived in NYC. My boyfriend and I went out to lunch with a friend and that night we watched a movie which was set in NYC. I forget which movie it was but the towers were visible.
Ten days later, I visited my sister and you could still see the smoke and smell the stench. When I went down to NYC again two months later, we visited Ground Zero and I got some amazing photos.
She was engaged at the time and when my mom and sister were looking for places for the wedding, they looked at Windows on the World. They chose another place but after the wedding, there was a cruise on the Hudson at night and it was still shocking months later to see that skyline without the towers.
I never went up the towers but my dad lived in NYC for a couple of years and he had business meetings there. I saw that skyline so many times before 9/11 when on the New Jersey Turnpike. At one time, I had a panorama shot of NYC tanken before 9/11 but I think I bought that after 9/11.
I almost regret never having gone up the WTC towers but I'm afraid of heights and the Empire State Building was bad enough.
My parents were living near Washington, DC at the time and I went to see them three weeks later. My dad wanted to drive by the Pentagon wreck site but I insisted that we not do that so we didn't.

I was opening GSTL. The cash office tm told me a plane flew into the tower. I like everyone thought it was a Cessna. When the second tower was hit our STL gave everyone the option of staying at work or going home. I loved that STL. Most of us stayed but there were a few who were visably shaken and left. He also had all the electronics tvs turned to CNN so we could stay on top of what was going on. I remember that he came to the service desk to deal with a rude guest. He told her "Maam there are hundreds of people that have huge problems today, your lost receipt is not one of them" and he turned and walked away from her.
I did not know anyone that was killed, or any of the family members. I was still glued to the tv. I listened to all of the people looking for people. When I heard about the group of 11 year olds on one of the planes I thought of my own 11 year old and how scared he would have been. When you think of each person that was killed, they each had a mother and father, some had children, grandparents, aunts, uncles ,brothers, sisters, and special friends. There were all religions, and races. And I distinctly remember thinking how could such an awful thing happen on such a beautiful day.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
I was home at the time with my youngest son (toddler). My mom called & told me that a plane had hit one of the towers. As we watched the live coverage, the 2nd jet hit the 2nd tower & we were stunned even more.

Guest Attendant

Former Target Team Member
I was 11 at the time. Still in bed but just waking up to go to school. (the second week of 6th grade) I remember waking up hearing peter Jennings voice and I remember back in 2001 my local ABC channel had him do a preview for world news tonight during he 6am newscast. so I figure it was that. My grandmother was freaking out and I got up and thats when I saw it - the second plane hitting the tower - live on TV- I didn;t really understand it at that time. But I do remember an old friend of mine spent most of her time in the office at school crying because her father was in new york on a business trip. (Can't remember if he went to the WTC or not) Around 1:30 the father got in contact with the family and I think she left early with her mom, so I was happy for her that her father was alright.

But the whole 9/11 thing didn't start to make sense till a few years later and of course one day during modern history in high school. - but thats a story for another day -

P

Pfreshbackroomguy

I was 12 at the time in 7th grade. I was in my home economics class (2nd period of 7 periods aka classes) when someone came to school late and told our class what happened. Went through the rest of the day not understanding what was going on. During my 6th period class, I got taken out of class as my dad picked me up from school early like millions of other parents did. I still cant believe its been 10 years.

God Bless America. USA USA USA USA USA

MrMrIce

Cart Attendant
I was 10 years old in the 3rd grade getting my breakfest when I saw it on TV. At the time I didn't understand the importance of it other then the fact that people died, but as I grew up and realized the damage it did, I was sadden and til this day I feel bad for the families that lost love ones.

Everyday you should tell your love ones how much you love them, you never know when there comes a time where you won't be able to.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
I was sleeping. Worked the night shift in those days.
My ex called me saying that a plane had hit one of the towers.
I turned on CNN just in time to watch the second plane hit.

From Ani Defranco's poem 'Self Evident'

and the shock was subsonic
and the smoke was deafening
between the setup and the punch line
cuz we were all on time for work that day
we all boarded that plane for to fly
and then while the fires were raging
we all climbed up on the windowsill
and then we all held hands
and jumped into the sky

mrknownothing

purveyor of things
I was in 6th grade (not quite 11 yet) at the time. When the planes hit, my class was reading The Summer of the Swans. My mom came to my school freaking out and took me home after she told me what happened.