Archived Remodel starting tonight - tips, tricks, war stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've walked in to TSC when the overnight team arrives and it smells like someone swung a skunk around by the tail.

s4wnnMk.jpg

Dust, clutter, extension cords. Odors from sawing, drilling, grinding, solvents (think something that removes the carpet glue). No-walk zones due to overhead work. Uneven floors. Ladders, lifts, tools. And the lights will go out or be shut off with little or no warning. Blown fuses (be ready in perishables), no air conditioning or useless because part of the wall is now gone and the occasional fist fight between contractors or tms and contractors.
But hey hours if your lucky.

Don't keep me in suspense!! I want to hear about the fist fights.

Lordy it was years ago but as I recall the contractor vs contractor was about their task lists. Contractor vs tm was contractor said something inappropriate to a female tm and a tm gentleman reminded him about courtesy.

have earplugs handy at all times, and be prepared to take your breaks in your car. for the most part the remodeling happens at night, but when it's not it's loud as hell.
also keep an eye on what goes where. during my stores remodel we had entire aisles that seemingly vanished- but they just ended up in the center of the girls clothing. it's well worth the wait but in the meantime it'll put your head through a blunder.

1. Make sure your overnight people that demerch the aisle don't throw away any important signing/fixtures/displays. For some reason, I had to reorder displays I know we had but are now gone.
2. Depending on store, you may get a few new plano tm to help set. Make sure they set the correct orientation. I think we had like 3 aisle that we had to fixed
3. It helps to label each containers in the bone yard (shelves, cosmetic fixture, etc.)
4. Look at the ISM remodel guide, I think signing tm would have it. That shit is so useful and I never saw it till after remodel. Could have helped me so much since I was the audit guy.

People say there's issues with noise from construction, but I honestly never really cared about the noise much.

Communication between teams is essential..
Stay ahead of back stock. It will be a nightmare if you don't
Set the expectations high. No shortcuts. Clean all shelves, new label strips, rubber peg stoppers etc
Bottle of advil
sense of humor
be ready for "a change of plans" almost daily

Oh yeah when you set electronics, make sure each aisle has an outlet and their working. Construction guy sucked and we had to set the same aisle twice.

LOL. So, we're full in the remodel swing--parts cordoned off with plywood, tile missing on half the store, several dance floors, bunches of empty shelves, whole store on clearance, stuff everywhere and nowhere. Guests tonight. One be like "So, you're getting there, but you still look better than Walmart," and another asked (possibly seriously) if we were turning into Walmart (they took the sign down from the front of the building).

We're part way through ours and I guess it's going pretty well. The new block letters mess with our hardlines audit task path and it's taking me from one end of the store to the other, then back to the first end again.
Haven't had too many problems from guests. Most are excited for it and understand when I can't tell them where things are off the top of my head anymore. We had a bunch ask if we were closing at first. There was one guy today who ranted at the grocery TM because he couldn't find where pets was moved to and went off on her on how stupid the whole thing was, and what an inconvenience it is. I'd have asked him to switch lives because I'd love to have that be my biggest problem. :rolleyes:

Had a guest last week who commented about not being able to find anything with the remodel when she had an entire cart full of groceries and the only sections that had been significantly relocated were sporting goods and shoes. Which are on the other side of the store from grocery.

Though it was a bit disorienting to have blank spaces where things used to be and all that, I wasn't quite buying the "can't find things" complaint.

All I can say is that the remodel process is pure hell. I've walked in to TSC when the overnight team arrives and it smells like someone swung a skunk around by the tail. There have been so many screw-ups that dayside team ends up accomplishing nothing, other than fixing issues from overnight. The construction teams are not great either. (though all of this is very much store and location dependent) Floor plan is totally non-sensical. During the remodel process, you will find out who the best ETL's are.

If you ever have been part of a remodel team, you'd understand why the remodel team, smells like a skunk.

I legit, found a baby Racoon, in a gutter reaching its hands out from a mancover, almost, as if, he was asking to "bum a cig", while I was smoking on break, during our remodel outback of receiving at 1:50am in the morning (Legit played the construction worker, waving trucks away from his cute little hands).

We also had a full on end cap fall onto a contractor (That they placed). The trail of blood probably led, 50 yards. I also got to spend my night cleaning that up, only to get stuck in a trailer, that was at least 130 degrees, in the pitch black.

Also if you've ever been on the wave, it is literally 15+, degrees hotter, up by the roof, even with the lights off.

When I left in the morning, everyday, the first thought on my mind was how I could last 45 minutes, until my state can legally sell me beer, it ended up being Pokemon Go. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back