Researching other employers - Indeed.com "Work Happiness" survey scoring

If you are contemplating your post-Target career, Indeed.com has added a "work happiness" score based upon responses to surveys sent to registered Indeed users who work at, or have worked at, those companies. It's a different twist on information you might find at glassdoors.com

Here is a link to the Target information: underneath the "Work Happiness" heading, you'll need to click the blue hypertext link "See Full Report" to look at the 13 survey criteria. Target's overall score is 65 out of 100, considered Average among hundreds of companies surveyed. The overall rating reflects the simple summary, Do people feel happy at work most of the time? Keep in mind there are different scores for each of the 13 criteria, there are a few where Target is Above Average.

You can look at many other companies' overall scores. You definitely want to dig into the "full report" to look at the specific areas. A few which I've jotted down by their overall work happiness scores:

GEICO - 56 (Below Average --- but what about that hyper-funny gecko???)
Fry's Electronics - 57 (Below Average)
Walgreens - 59 (Below Average)
Kroger Stores - 62 (Average)
Walmart - 62 (Average)
Rite Aid - 63 (Average)
Comcast - 64 (Average)
Centurylink - 65 (Average)
Dollar Tree - 68 (Average)
IKEA - 68 (Average)
Publix - 70 (Average)
Starbucks - 71 (Above Average)
Nordstrom - 73 (Above Average)
Best Buy - 74 (Above Average)
Costco Wholesale - 78 (Above Average)
Apple - 78 (Above Average)
Google - 81 (High)
Microsoft - 84 (High)

Last edited:
My purpose here is NOT to encourage staff to leave Target, particularly in an unknown economy. I do know that many of you are ready to change, and IMHO this is useful information for research when you are looking at jobs in other companies, including retail stores. I was particularly struck at high ratings for Nordstrom, Best Buy, Costco Wholesale, and H-E-B (listed below).

H-E-B: work happiness score 78 (Above Average), high scores for compensation, flexibility, purpose, achievement; above average scores for energy, appreciation, support, inclusion, learning, trust, belonging, management (this was the lowest score at 73).
In-N-Out Burger: overall 78 (Above Average)
Concentrix: overall 58 (Below Average)
Sedgwick (Target's workers' comp provider): overall 49 (LOW)

There are no H-E-B stores anywhere near Washington State, alas. Happy trails!:)

Last edited:
Nordstrom was my first job after leaving Target and I can attest to that higher rating. They have great benefits for all employees and the workload is reasonable. It was pretty good for a retail job and we didn’t have micromanaging there.

Nordstrom was my first job after leaving Target and I can attest to that higher rating. They have great benefits for all employees and the workload is reasonable. It was pretty good for a retail job and we didn’t have micromanaging there.
Did you work at the classic Nordstrom department store or at their Nordstrom Rack discount chain?

Back