Archived Rest Breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzyPacks

Ship From Store Newbie
So, I know it's important to take my rest breaks. However, at my store, we are required to take a rest break every three hours of work. (I'm also in a store with the before fifth-hour lunch.) Here's my question: When I work a 6 hour shift, how should I split the three breaks?

I usually do "every two hours, take a break" when I have 8+ hours, but obviously that doesn't work with a 6 hour shift.

I have missed a couple of rest breaks because, by the time I get done with my lunch break, I usually only have an hour of work left in my shift (due to the two-hour periods).

What would be the best way to spread these breaks out more evenly, where I still take all three without taking two within an hour (if at all avoidable)?

Assuming you're working 6 plus your unpaid meal, and that your rules are worded that it's a break for every 3 hours scheduled, then it seems fairly easy to me. Take a break at about 1.5 hrs, take your meal at 3 hours, then take another break about 1.5 hours after you return from meal. When you get back from your second break, you have about 1.25 hours left in your day.

Of course, this assumes that you can actually step away when planned ;)

Is your store leadership actually that strict about your 15's? My store likes when we take them, but I mean, with the way I take my breaks (First 15 3.5 hours in, Lunch 5.5 hours in) by the time I get back I only have 2 hours left so it feels pointless to even take a break.. and many times it is far too busy. They tell me that I should take them but if they ask if I took them I'm just honest with them and I tell them I didn't need to/couldn't and they just shake their head and laugh and tell me thanks for working so hard.

It means that you are entitled to one rest break if your shift is at least three hours long. For a 6 hour shift at a 5th hour lunch store, you get one rest break and one meal break. Take your 15 min break at 2 hours in and then a lunch at 4 hours in. Then, clock out for work at your 6th hour.

Assuming you're working 6 plus your unpaid meal, and that your rules are worded that it's a break for every 3 hours scheduled, then it seems fairly easy to me. Take a break at about 1.5 hrs, take your meal at 3 hours, then take another break about 1.5 hours after you return from meal. When you get back from your second break, you have about 1.25 hours left in your day.

Of course, this assumes that you can actually step away when planned ;)

Thanks. That helps. Usually, being in SFS, I am able to leave pretty much whenever I want/need to. (In fact, the few times I've asked my "boss" if it was okay, he always responded with "do what you gotta do.")

Is your store leadership actually that strict about your 15's? My store likes when we take them, but I mean, with the way I take my breaks (First 15 3.5 hours in, Lunch 5.5 hours in) by the time I get back I only have 2 hours left so it feels pointless to even take a break.. and many times it is far too busy. They tell me that I should take them but if they ask if I took them I'm just honest with them and I tell them I didn't need to/couldn't and they just shake their head and laugh and tell me thanks for working so hard.

I mean, my handbook's really strict in it's wording about it, but I haven't been punished for missing any of the breaks so far, and usually no one asks if I had any breaks (except for, of course, the lunch one).

It means that you are entitled to one rest break if your shift is at least three hours long. For a 6 hour shift at a 5th hour lunch store, you get one rest break and one meal break. Take your 15 min break at 2 hours in and then a lunch at 4 hours in. Then, clock out for work at your 6th hour.

Hm. Okay.

I was kind of going based off of the break schedule I was given on "Gray Thursday" (the first time that I worked less than eight hours besides orientation). It was only 6 pm to midnight, and they had scheduled for me to have three breaks - two rests and one meal.

So, going by that, because the meal period is unpaid, that means I only technically work 5.5 hours. So I should technically only have two breaks (one rest and one lunch)?

Hm. Okay.

I was kind of going based off of the break schedule I was given on "Gray Thursday" (the first time that I worked less than eight hours besides orientation). It was only 6 pm to midnight, and they had scheduled for me to have three breaks - two rests and one meal.

So, going by that, because the meal period is unpaid, that means I only technically work 5.5 hours. So I should technically only have two breaks (one rest and one lunch)?

Yeah, those Thanksgiving/Black Friday break cards ridiculously scheduled people extra safe for breaks and lunches. Although, a couple of TMs did get scheduled after their 5th hour (compliance for my state) for the meal breaks as well. Hate to say it but I wouldn't entirely trust those cards.

If you are ever not sure when to take your breaks, you can check your store's Daily Break Schedule. Find your name on there. It recommends specific times to take your breaks and lunches with more accuracy than the break cards.

Yes, it should be only be two breaks (one rest and one lunch). Two rest breaks are for those with longer shifts.

Last edited:
If you are in a 5 hour state (like me), a 6 hour shift only gives you 1 15 minute break and 1 unpaid 30 minute lunch which means you are only paid for 5.5 hours. The break comes at about 2 hours and the lunch is at about 4 hours.

Yeah take your break. I used to skip breaks and I notice my mood is much better when I step away from everything and do something I enjoy like catch up with another tm, watch a funny video or read this website.

Thank you, everyone, for your answers/advice! I will keep those in mind.

If you don't take your break, you can't have any pudding.

How can you have your pudding if you don't take your break???
I wondered how long it would take for someone to do this.

I'm a GSA and with the "team lead must cover the front" rule, I'm lucky to ever get 15s. Of course, the GSTLs always have one of us scheduled to cover theirs. Take your break. Take it for me.

A PMT shift is one long series of breaks broken up with moments of actually working.

You know that! ;>)

Please take your schedule breaks.

Coverage can be next to impossible for areas like electronics and fitting room, but it does depend on who's on shift. I worked a shift with people who were not comfortable covering FRO and had to threaten in order to get coverage to take a meal break. I wasn't then arguing over a 15.

How long are lunch breaks? I was reading the manual the other day and it said 30 minutes but today my TL said said it was 45

A PMT shift is one long series of breaks broken up with moments of actually working.

You know that! ;>)

Yezzur. My ETL-HR gives me shit Often because vendors love showing up when I’m on lunch and I square em out anyway.

I work the only hourly job where I set my own workload and schedule everyday with limited guidelines. Leave me alone lol

My store is pretty strict on the breaks, particularly lunch. Not hitting compliance on lunch breaks was stressed more than about anything else during orientation. 15s are more flexible, obviously, but take your breaks.

I'm all old and shit, so I need the time off the concrete floors, but do yourself (and everyone else!) a favor and take your breaks. Don't let 'em make you feel bad for taking the time you earn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back