Archived Returning Stolen Items

Status
Not open for further replies.
So anybody who's ever worked at Guest Service knows these returns where the guest has no receipt, "paid cash," and just so happens to have their I.D. all ready to go. While the rest of the world works hard to earn their money and do things the right way, here come these a******* who think they're so cool "cheating the system" by stealing items from a store with less security and returning them at Target.

Don't get me wrong not all people returning with their IDs are thiefs but I've been guest service for a while to the point where I can already tell as soon as they walk up that they stole those items.

I guess my question would be, is there any way we can decline these returns? Like at all? It's come to the point where I drop my whole "Peaceful Patient Guest Service" act when they show up.

I honestly wouldn't even mind if they didn't make it so obvious. At least try to act as if you paid with your debit card and when it doesn't show up then just take your ID out. Seriously, how stupid do they think we are? I had a guest once walk straight from electronics trying to return a speaker when I literally saw him come in empty handed.

But seriously, any way we can say no to these returns? Or anyone want to share their experiences and what you did?

Our GS return policy sign was recently updated to say"items which are opened, damaged, or without a receipt may be denied a refund." We've taken to memorizing that line and pointing it out. If you don't have that, you could do what we always did and lie through our teeth by constructing hoops. Oh, we can't return [HBA/Electronics/Cosmetics/Allergy] items without a receipt, but if you bought it at this store, we can have our assets protection team member check the tapes and pull up a duplicate that we could use? Oh, well, you don't know what store you bought it at, right, of course, I forget that meth is a hell of a drug. Well, go ahead and go home and search for that receipt, champ. Oh, yeah, the next closest store is probably [give honest answer, prepping speed dial for when they leave]. Okay! Have a good night!

At my store we have a lot of these kind of returns. Some of our GS TMs will flat out deny the return if they truly suspect it to be fraud, citing things like KingBear said. If they don't know, especially cosmetics for example, they will say that we can only do an exchange for other items of the same department. Well these people don't want items, they want cash, so 80% of the time they just leave.

At my store we partner with AP/LOD to deny returns like this. They usually grill em and think it over before either allowing it or telling them to leave.

Our GS return policy sign was recently updated to say"items which are opened, damaged, or without a receipt may be denied a refund." We've taken to memorizing that line and pointing it out. If you don't have that, you could do what we always did and lie through our teeth by constructing hoops. Oh, we can't return [HBA/Electronics/Cosmetics/Allergy] items without a receipt, but if you bought it at this store, we can have our assets protection team member check the tapes and pull up a duplicate that we could use? Oh, well, you don't know what store you bought it at, right, of course, I forget that meth is a hell of a drug. Well, go ahead and go home and search for that receipt, champ. Oh, yeah, the next closest store is probably [give honest answer, prepping speed dial for when they leave]. Okay! Have a good night!

How did you get the new sign??? I hate the ones who found a receipt, find the items in the store, and then try to return them for cash.

How did you get the new sign??? I hate the ones who found a receipt, find the items in the store, and then try to return them for cash.
We have the same sign. Ours is posted behind our desk behind us. It just appeared one day. Yours might have too.

So anybody who's ever worked at Guest Service knows these returns where the guest has no receipt, "paid cash," and just so happens to have their I.D. all ready to go. While the rest of the world works hard to earn their money and do things the right way, here come these a******* who think they're so cool "cheating the system" by stealing items from a store with less security and returning them at Target.

Don't get me wrong not all people returning with their IDs are thiefs but I've been guest service for a while to the point where I can already tell as soon as they walk up that they stole those items.

I guess my question would be, is there any way we can decline these returns? Like at all? It's come to the point where I drop my whole "Peaceful Patient Guest Service" act when they show up.

I honestly wouldn't even mind if they didn't make it so obvious. At least try to act as if you paid with your debit card and when it doesn't show up then just take your ID out. Seriously, how stupid do they think we are? I had a guest once walk straight from electronics trying to return a speaker when I literally saw him come in empty handed.

But seriously, any way we can say no to these returns? Or anyone want to share their experiences and what you did?
Did you return the speaker? Just curious

We partner with AP when we can. Yesterday I had one I clearly knew was fraudulent and I tried his ID, when it cut me off I just said nope I'm not returning any more items. He walked out, has his GF try the return and I sent her packing told her she couldn't return it.

Did you return the speaker? Just curious

No, luckily our store has one of the best AP teams in my opinion and he was already on his way to GS when the guest showed up. Since the guy was already returning a petty stolen item from another store, he actually asked "Can I see if I can add this speaker to the return?" I just "scanned" it and said "No, it'll go over the 70 dollar limit." then just handed the speaker to AP. The guy just left without the speaker in a way just proving to us what he was trying to do.

I just recently had this. This guest had 2 backpacks filled with HBA and electronic items. I told him I need a receipt for these items. Specifically because they were HBA and electronics. There was some song and dance of me repeating this to him after he repeated "Why" several times. After a few minutes of that, he stepped to the side, and fiddled with his stuff. I think he was moving everything into one bag, and then he wanted to return the backpack he was carrying everything in. At this point, I just told him, "I need a receipt from you" and left it at that. He just sort of stared at me, I guess waiting for me to say more, but I just looked away and continued helping the guest I was with. Luckily, he gave up and left. Had he insisted, I would have called AP. I wanted to call AP before he left, but I was stuck with a long line of guests, and this guy was standing too close for me to flag AP. Luckily, I think AP was already watching the guy, because of events that occurred after. At the time, I thought the long line of guests I had was annoying because I couldn't flag AP, but in hindsight, it was great, because this guy couldn't just hop back in line. It was great. Lol.

ANYWAY, so to me, this was a blatantly obvious case where he grabbed a backpack from the luggage section, filled it with merchandise, and then walked out the doors. I didn't do a single return for him.

So has anyone at GS experienced people stealing items at self checkout?

My STL accepts any return even if they don't have a receipt. Most GSTMs and LODs know when it's fraudulent and shut them down when they're not there, though. No legit person is out there returning 15 nail polishes with no receipt.

I always had a hard time with the obviously stolen stuff returns. If we don't accept the return, then the thief walks out with free goods. If we accept the return and give him a gift card, he gets more free stuff anyway. I don't see how this isn't a lose/lose situation.

The only time I felt really good about it was with a repeat offender. AP had me accept a large return of H&B. Our district AP guy was in the office watching. As soon as the guy left with the gift card, AP voided it. I'm not completely sure it was legal, but I guess the guy wasn't going to come back and complain, right?

I always had a hard time with the obviously stolen stuff returns. If we don't accept the return, then the thief walks out with free goods. If we accept the return and give him a gift card, he gets more free stuff anyway. I don't see how this isn't a lose/lose situation.

The only time I felt really good about it was with a repeat offender. AP had me accept a large return of H&B. Our district AP guy was in the office watching. As soon as the guy left with the gift card, AP voided it. I'm not completely sure it was legal, but I guess the guy wasn't going to come back and complain, right?

If I'm not mistaken, don't you need the receipt to void it?

if a guest returns product to your store without a receipt and your AP is there you can always contact AP to have them verify 2 things:

1. Did the guest actually come into the store with the product.
2. If not then did the guest grab the product off the shelfs and then say they are returning product that they really never purchased.

If in some cases AP is not in the building contact an LOD and then they can REFUSE the return, BUT if they do and the guest did happen to steal the product or take the product from the floor and try and lie have the LOD ask to see their ID and go make a quick copy (this will make it easy when AP comes back to view the tape). Even if your store accepts the return your LOD can issue out a gift card (which should be done) this gives the store 2 things:

1. The ability to overturn the gift card (just make sure you let AP know the time and day (still make a copy of the persons ID if you really think this person is a scammer).
2. Call target INFORMATION CENTER they are always watching video feed from each store and they can tell you RIGHT away if this guest stole something if AP is not in the building. Information Center is a great resource for stores that guest or former TM's think they know when AP has left to catch them. If you call Information Center and they verify this person is trying to commit a crime all you will need to do is contact the local Police Department.

But always if in question make a copy of the persons ID (this should NEVER be expired.

So has anyone at GS experienced people stealing items at self checkout?

Funny you should say that, one time I was at self-checkout on a busy Saturday and see this guy wearing a big jacket on a hot day with a prepaid cellphone inside headed straight for the door.
I went straight to the guest and got the phone out of his jacket and when he reacted he was gonna fight for it; that was when I looked into his eyes and said "You're better than this, son." He cried, I cried, we hugged each other, everyone clapped... it was a beautiful day.
-record scratch-

Nah, I'm kidding. I actually stopped him the only way I knew how, by offering the hell out of a RedCard. I figured I can't apprehend him but I CAN annoy him with my customer service skills. Lol. I just walked up and went "Hey sir, do you need help paying for that? I can help you so you don't have to wait in line. Did you know you can also save 5 percent by...."

Sadly, after a while I was running out of things to say and I didn't want him to get aggressive so I just let him go. Went straight to AP after that. Don't know if they caught that guy though. But honestly, what could he have done with that prepaid phone without it being activated? It isn't worth much, right?

Funny you should say that, one time I was at self-checkout on a busy Saturday and see this guy wearing a big jacket on a hot day with a prepaid cellphone inside headed straight for the door.
I went straight to the guest and got the phone out of his jacket and when he reacted he was gonna fight for it; that was when I looked into his eyes and said "You're better than this, son." He cried, I cried, we hugged each other, everyone clapped... it was a beautiful day.
-record scratch-

Nah, I'm kidding. I actually stopped him the only way I knew how, by offering the hell out of a RedCard. I figured I can't apprehend him but I CAN annoy him with my customer service skills. Lol. I just walked up and went "Hey sir, do you need help paying for that? I can help you so you don't have to wait in line. Did you know you can also save 5 percent by...."

Sadly, after a while I was running out of things to say and I didn't want him to get aggressive so I just let him go. Went straight to AP after that. Don't know if they caught that guy though. But honestly, what could he have done with that prepaid phone without it being activated? It isn't worth much, right?
Haha nice. I've heard of people grabbing items at lower value that weigh the same as a higher value item and scanning the lower value item and placing higher in a bag.

Partner with your LODs/STL/AP/GSTL/GSTMS. Most stores have their own policies regarding the quantity of returns/how they want their TMs to handle that. My own store is pretty lenient with no-receipt returns, but we decline/limit ridiculous quantities... We have a lot of people who come in and try to commit return fraud. One thing to look out for is a group using multiple IDs for the same items.. We have a big problem with HBA items!

I'm a GSA and tell my TMs to always use their discretion and call me/an LOD/AP over if they think something's sketchy!

When it's clearly stolen, to make it look like we're trying to return it, we'll hit the price inquiry button, since that doesn't change anything that the guest can see..because I've had enough of getting yelled at by these people for not even attempting a return

When it's clearly stolen, to make it look like we're trying to return it, we'll hit the price inquiry button, since that doesn't change anything that the guest can see..because I've had enough of getting yelled at by these people for not even attempting a return

Lmao, I've done that a few times. I have a register with a broken price screen, so that way the guest can't see the price of what I'm scanning. Thus, to them, it looks like the item doesn't come up with their ID, or something like that.

UPDATE: So today I actually declined a return for some obviously stolen items which the guest ended up making a big deal over. Had to call AP, also declined the items backing me up. THEN after that, I get the ETL-GE who was LOD walk up to me and just give me a brief reminder that we're the "YES DESK" and that next time to just accept it because even though it's obvious to us, we can't prove anything. I'm glad she at least said she understood where I was coming from but there's nothing we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back