Archived Reverse Logistics: How do I receive mail? had 4hr training

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLL

I'm covering receiving for a couple of days. No one in the store knows how to do it. I was going to get 30 minutes of training, but was able to bump it up to 4hrs.

The receiver showed me how to accept one piece of mail. I forgot how they did it! it got even more confusing when when I realized different SCACT (if that is what is called) have different tracking labels. I had to google how the UPS tracking codes look like, so I enter the correct 8 digits.

Is this correct -> I received some things, but not sure if i did it right. I opened the mail and looked for some ID #. second, I type it in the "receive" app. It asked for the number again and I entered it again. This took me to an option screen asking for what type of receipt. I guessed and used the dsd/adac option (is this right?). When I type in the ID it matched the vendor name. Then I proceeded to type in how many boxes and eaches I received. It looked like it did it right, but when I tried double checking my work by scanning a game that I received (6 eaches), it showed zero on hand with the my device. shouldn't it have updated? or does it take 1 full day to change on the my device?

* I got one box with DVDs but not paper listing inside. what do I do with a box with product and not paperwork in it? It doesn't say SBT. Do I use FDE it and enter the tracking number to accept it?

*checks & ad box: Do i need to process these in or just give them to HR & whomever does the ad setup?

ANY tips would be great. I'm hoping I wont need to ship anything soon. This is crazy!

As long as you closed you scan the items, put the correct quantity close the receipt the items will register in the system.

As for UPS that comes with no packing slip you can use the PO# on the tracking label from the box.

I'm covering receiving for a couple of days. No one in the store knows how to do it. I was going to get 30 minutes of training, but was able to bump it up to 4hrs.

The receiver showed me how to accept one piece of mail. I forgot how they did it! it got even more confusing when when I realized different SCACT (if that is what is called) have different tracking labels. I had to google how the UPS tracking codes look like, so I enter the correct 8 digits.

Is this correct -> I received some things, but not sure if i did it right. I opened the mail and looked for some ID #. second, I type it in the "receive" app. It asked for the number again and I entered it again. This took me to an option screen asking for what type of receipt. I guessed and used the dsd/adac option (is this right?). When I type in the ID it matched the vendor name. Then I proceeded to type in how many boxes and eaches I received. It looked like it did it right, but when I tried double checking my work by scanning a game that I received (6 eaches), it showed zero on hand with the my device. shouldn't it have updated? or does it take 1 full day to change on the my device?

* I got one box with DVDs but not paper listing inside. what do I do with a box with product and not paperwork in it? It doesn't say SBT. Do I use FDE it and enter the tracking number to accept it?

*checks & ad box: Do i need to process these in or just give them to HR & whomever does the ad setup?

ANY tips would be great. I'm hoping I wont need to ship anything soon. This is crazy!

With DVDs, you want to look for anything that says "Mill Creek" or SBT and something about holding for rep. You don't need to check those in, just put wherever those go for the rep to pick up and take care of.

It's been a while since I checked, but Workbench had a serviceable guide on checking in mail (search for "small package delivery" or something like that?). It also has somewhere what the SCAC abbreviations are and what numbers you need to put in; you should only need UPS Ground (UPSN), UPS Air/Next Day (not sure the difference here, I flipflopped when checking in), Fedex Ground (FDEG) and Fedex Express (FDE)

When you're typing in the PO number, if it doesn't prompt you with a vendor (e.g Readerlink, BHVE, Fox, etc) then you probably put in the wrong number. Sometimes you'll find the right PO but for some dumb reason that's way above your paygrade, the system won't recognize it. You're looking for on the invoice or shipping label the PO number, Shipment ID or something that's a string of numbers that isn't the tracking ID, invoice/order number or container number. Don't assign an PO like you would with a vendor. Don't. If the package has been sitting aound a day or two, you can pull up the "PO numbers not received" report and see if that gives you any clues.

Usually it's only CDs that don't come with paperwork but usually they'll just put all the info (except quantity) somewhere on the box.

You don't check in any Target mail like paychecks or ad correction. Your store probably does it differently but I just took any mail like that to TSC and set it on a table. Paychecks always went either on ETL-HR's desk or straight to the HR-TM's hands.

Sounds like you did it right. If you have free time jump on the computer back in receiving and get onto workbench. From there on the top left click on one of the drop downs that brings you to either logistics or receiving. There should be a ton of info there on anything that you might need to know. I usually spend my down time reading through random stuff on there just so I am knowledgeable about everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back