Archived Ride out corrective action or seek greener pastures?

Stay with Spot or take up better offers?

• Stay through corrective action probationary period

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Leave for greener pastures

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the situation: I am part of the core team hired for my store before the building was even completed for my location. I'm just shy of 3 years with Target, about half of my time was plagued with my availability being ignored and later sabotaged by an HRTM (who screwed up the schedules and availability of anyone she didn't like) who would give me shifts outside my availability and then make sure I was punished when I was inevitably either late or had to call off for shifts that were blatantly outside my availability. Because of her antics and my transportation issues (didn't have a car till a few months ago, so either had to walk or use public transit) the number of attendance issues reached the point of the SFTL having to put me on corrective action with a May to November probation period. Mind you, I have literally walked 6 miles in rainy 30 degree weather to make it to work to avoid calling off in the past and make every effort within reason to get to work on time because our store has such a small team that absences and tardiness have an amplified impact on team productivity. It's not as if I don't care about the team. I'm trained in every workcenter except backroom, food ave, and starbucks, and with my store critically understaffed, I don't think they would terminate me but they've terminated beloved TMs for attendance in the past who were affected by the same issues.

Should I try to ride out the corrective action probationary period despite taking fall semester classes? I have some other options: a food service job offer, a religious retreat programmer job offer, or returning to full-time nannying like I did before Spot. I love my team and our guests (well, maybe not some of the tweenage edgelord thieves that come through, which the local PD can attest to) but Spot screwing over veteran TMs pay-wise and lack of upward mobility in my store and group are really getting to me, on top of the corrective action. Any advice regarding staying or leaving based on this background info?

Last edited:
If you like spot, ride it out. But, communicate to your etl or stl about the availability & transportation issues. Hopefully, you mention these factors, last year & when you got your review, recently. At my store, if you could not get in, we knew who would or pick you up. We like global folks.

If the other jobs pays or is in your school related field, consider those options too.

If you like spot, ride it out. But, communicate to your etl or stl about the availability & transportation issues. Hopefully, you mention these factors, last year & when you got your review, recently. At my store, if you could not get in, we knew who would or pick you up. We like global folks.

If the other jobs pays or is in your school related field, consider those options too.
I've mentioned the issues every time my attendance is brought up. But the leadership at my store treats it as a lack of responsibility and initiative on my part even though I have a fairly extensive carpooling network with other team members. :mad:

It sounds like they're not listening when you attempt to explain the unworkable so it doesn't seem like it'll get any better.
Just know that if you leave while on CA you'll be marked at non-rehireable.
That said, you should at least start looking & maybe pick up a term form to carry around.

Last edited:
Being on corrective in theory isn't that big of a deal (it is and it isnt) sounds to me like you aren't looking to promote or transfer. So just keep working, showing up on time. You mentioned the hrtm who had it in for you is gone. Sounds like your future at Target is in your hands. I wish you the best of luck.

I'd say this. It never hurts to have relevant work experience once you are done with school. And what the other job opportunities pay in relation to Spot, along with working with you and your availability while you are in school too.

Ive seen people on Cca's get promoted to TL. Target does look past those and you can always redeem yourself. Thats one of many reasons I fell in love with this company. BUT pursue a career. In the world we live, one cannot make it on low wages, 2 jobs isn't good for anyone. If you feel target can be a career path for you, stay. If not, go pursue what you love to do and make a life for yourself. Ive lost good TMs who were on ccas or finals because they couldnt make it to work anymore due to a 2nd job infiltrating their availability and HR not listening. Great TMs. Im losing 2 in the next month and honestly im happy to see them go pursue something else because target just has not worked out for them. Remember if ypu do, put in that 2 weeks and work it out because during 4th quarter theyre sure to hire you if you need a little extra income for a few months. ;) Good luck.

All good advice. I just got off ca myself, and my super trying to behave was noticed and the ca only gave them ammo to shaft me on my raise/ review. I'm right back in the mix for upward mobility like it never happened.

Last edited:
Ive seen people on Cca's get promoted to TL.

Not saying it doesn't happen but it normally wont. Etl hrs are allowed to make exceptions on the "you cant transfer on a CA" but not on promoting.

I am wondering if you are confusing the critical period (where it wont even let you key a promotion) and the probationary period.

Not saying it doesn't happen but it normally wont. Etl hrs are allowed to make exceptions on the "you cant transfer on a CA" but not on promoting.

I am wondering if you are confusing the critical period (where it wont even let you key a promotion) and the probationary period.
Im fairly certain one of our TLs was promoted who had been on a final. I could be mistaken though.

Ive seen people on Cca's get promoted to TL. Target does look past those and you can always redeem yourself. Thats one of many reasons I fell in love with this company. BUT pursue a career. In the world we live, one cannot make it on low wages, 2 jobs isn't good for anyone. If you feel target can be a career path for you, stay. If not, go pursue what you love to do and make a life for yourself. Ive lost good TMs who were on ccas or finals because they couldnt make it to work anymore due to a 2nd job infiltrating their availability and HR not listening. Great TMs. Im losing 2 in the next month and honestly im happy to see them go pursue something else because target just has not worked out for them. Remember if ypu do, put in that 2 weeks and work it out because during 4th quarter theyre sure to hire you if you need a little extra income for a few months. ;) Good luck.

Honestly, I would love to be a team lead, maybe even ETL-GE (eh, I can dream, right?) someday because I try to make sure everyone has a good experience when they come into my store. Most of our guests are my neighbors, classmates/classmates' families, fellow churchgoers from my parish, etc... all people I know because I live pretty close to the store I work at, close enough that the one time I took a walkie home accidentally I heard flow team being chastised the next morning from my room. For some of our guests who aren't great with names, I'm literally "Target girl" to them when they spot me on my rare days off. I've trained almost everyone I work with and go the extra mile to cover people's shifts or find someone who can. The problem I keep running into is that we already have more TLs than we're technically supposed to at my location, which means our leadership bench is nonexistent. We've actually had TLs that took demotions to bring us down to the appropriate head count for a store our size. I'm lucky to work with a pretty amazing team, we're small but mighty. People have told me to think about leaving, fellow TMs at my location, but I know everyone too well to stick them with the burden that would fall on the shoulders of the rest of the team if I were to leave. Plus, I'm pretty sure some of our regulars would practically riot if I left or were termed. My location and the team that I'm part of mean everything to me. I'm very protective and possessive of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back