Saddleridge Fire

OneGoodEar

Former team member
The fire in Porter Ranch (a San Fernando Valley community suburb of L.A.) is affecting a nearby Target store.

After looking at the photo I noticed some Target team members are wearing masks while some are not. Could be because some are more sensitive to smoke than others.

Seriously both those stores should be ashamed of endangering people like that. But we all know how target feels about all of us easily replaceable insects
Target typically follows city ordinances or other local retailers. I live across the country in a snowy state and if the highway/state closes we close but not before. I assume the state/city hasn’t place a state of emergency or I would hope target would close. If other local businesses are still open so is target. The TMs can choose not to be there the same way I can’t make TMs drive to work in the snow

The TMs can choose not to be there the same way I can’t make TMs drive to work in the snow

This is how my store handles it. The last huge cold snap, when Target took flak for staying open (but not Walmart, natch), I worked that night and it was fine. TMs who couldn't make it in were given a free pass, those that did could go out and start their car whenever they needed or whatever. We had lots of guests coming in for space heaters, jumper cables, battery jump start kits, etc. in addition to groceries and whatnot. It really wasn't dangerous at all for TMs, and if it was they had a free pass not to come in, and people still need to shop.

dust masks .. that store should close for the rest of the day... it's a shame breathing that cancerous shit
Last year during the Paradise fire in Northern California most of the SF Bay Area was shrouded in smoke for almost two weeks. No way would Target and other businesses close. The year before was another big fire in Northern California and again the smoke was around for over a week. Stores were open, people wore masks, and customers needed to purchase items, especially those who lost homes or could not return home.

The Target store won't close because it is not threatened by the fire. Many stores have stayed open even if its smoky outside. By the way, the Porter Ranch Walmart did close because it was right next to the fire.

Last year during the Paradise fire in Northern California most of the SF Bay Area was shrouded in smoke for almost two weeks. No way would Target and other businesses close. The year before was another big fire in Northern California and again the smoke was around for over a week. Stores were open, people wore masks, and customers needed to purchase items, especially those who lost homes or could not return home.
Ugh gross I remember that the smell and the air was so awful and every single day we were chewed out for being out of masks

dust masks .. that store should close for the rest of the day... it's a shame breathing that cancerous shit
The Target store won't close because it is not threatened by the fire. Many stores have stayed open even if its smoky outside. By the way, the Porter Ranch Walmart did close because it was right next to the fire.

In fire country businesses typically only close if they are in a red mandatory evacuation zone.
some will chose to close in yellow zones depending on the air quality, topographical location, wind direction, etc.

I believe we also have EDD rules against punishing employees who miss work in order to evacuate from red and yellow zones.

Yeah close, you know that it's everywhere. Ash is landing on your car, its in your clothes there isn't anywhere that isn't smokey right now. It's stinking up your house. I have lived through fires there, no where isn't smokey when the hills less than 10 miles away are on fire.

This is how my store handles it. The last huge cold snap, when Target took flak for staying open (but not Walmart, natch), I worked that night and it was fine. TMs who couldn't make it in were given a free pass, those that did could go out and start their car whenever they needed or whatever. We had lots of guests coming in for space heaters, jumper cables, battery jump start kits, etc. in addition to groceries and whatnot. It really wasn't dangerous at all for TMs, and if it was they had a free pass not to come in, and people still need to shop.
Exactly. I agree target should close more often than it does but that’ll never happen so I just don’t hold anyone accountable when they don’t show up during a snow storm. I hope these stores with the fire are handling it the sane way.

This fire could of been prevented if the trash truck driver to listened to the driver behind him.
Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Los Angeles fires prevent thousands from returning home; 2 confirmed dead in Sandalwood blaze

That guy with the pets makes me sick. The dogs could be stuffed in the car and taken, but the cats weren't worth grabbing; they are worth so little to him they can be left behind to burn to death. It doesnt take that long to drag a cat out from under the bed or behind a dresser to put in a carrier, if you don't care how the furniture looks after.

Hope the bastard didn't care more about his possessions than the cats and left windows and doors open so the cats aren't locked with nowhere to go in if the fire hits.

Yeah close, you know that it's everywhere. Ash is landing on your car, its in your clothes there isn't anywhere that isn't smokey right now. It's stinking up your house. I have lived through fires there, no where isn't smokey when the hills less than 10 miles away are on fire.
yep, this.

Back