Archived Safe and Secure

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGSTLman

FBTL
Hi all - been a long while since I posted something. Just a question. When you became Sr. TL or ETL and began having to lock the building at night, how long did it take before you didn't second guess yourself or not feel anxious about forgetting stuff? It's been 5 months and I'm still neurotic AF about checking the building and then always second guess myself once I leave and end up thinking I forgot something important.

Also, in the same vein, is there anything you do to give you the peace of mind so you DON'T panic and are able to go home and relax?

Thanks for the answers!!

You could make a checklist, and check off each item as you do it, so you don't have to worry. You can look at the list and see if you missed anything

I would make a checklist on Word, print it out everyday and check off each task as it was completed. Instant peace of mind!

Take pictures of every lock it records date and time proof that they are locked. And once you are home you can look at them all you want to ease your mind

I actually do that. It's a trick my training store gave me. The interior stuff isn't the issue it's the exterior. Our store doesn't have a dedicated TM entrance so we have to use the front door. I'm always nervous I forget to lock it when we are leaving, when in reality I'm so conditioned to doing it it's just natural at this point. But I still feel anxiety about it. Today was the worst considering I had the wonderful task of closing Christmas Eve and I've never secured the building before a day we aren't open.

I was only nervous the first time or two, but I saw ETLs and an STL who had been doing it for a couple years and were still going crazy on every close.

^This.
One of our SrTLs starts at one entrance & does a circuit around the outside wall until he's up to the other entrance, finishing with the TM entrance last.

Like everyone said, just create a routine and stick to it. It’s already second nature for me so I never get nervous. Have the closing AP team member help you. It’s part of their routine as well.

I’m 18 months in role as senior TL at a super target. I take way longer than I have to because I’m so paranoid. Thank God so far so good. I have a routine but I still triple check everything even 18 months later lol. My ETL is the same way. Another Senior at my store that’s been there since it opened in 2006 is way too comfortable in her “routine” and didn’t secure a fire exit and I caught it on my next shift. I reviewed footage with my APTL to see if she checked it and she did not. I begged him not to say anything to our STL about it but I told her and she was scared. She’s now even more paranoid than I am. It’s ok to have a routine but don’t get too comfortable especially if you’re at a super target.

When I was closing I would always write my closing checklist on my grid. It was one of the last things I'd check before leaving to make sure I sent out any needed emails, made schedule changes, etc. in addition to securing the building. I'd also go through the checklist again as I drove around the building.

As far as I could tell, though, I was one of the few closing leads to secure the building properly. I would frequently close after not closing for a while and would find things like broken/misaligned alarm sensors or doors that would not quite close properly. Other closing ETLs wouldn't report it and would just leave, meaning I'd have to stay a few hours late after my closing shift, waiting for someone to come out and fix it. STL, unfortunately, never took any action. One of the many reasons I eventually decided to leave.

Hi all - been a long while since I posted something. Just a question. When you became Sr. TL or ETL and began having to lock the building at night, how long did it take before you didn't second guess yourself or not feel anxious about forgetting stuff? It's been 5 months and I'm still neurotic AF about checking the building and then always second guess myself once I leave and end up thinking I forgot something important.

Also, in the same vein, is there anything you do to give you the peace of mind so you DON'T panic and are able to go home and relax?

Thanks for the answers!!

Have another closing lead check all the doors. That's part of why you have them there.

Some times you are the only leader in the building so you have to rely on yourself.

GSA? Gotta be someone responsible you can trust.

I check all doors twice as I make rounds inside. Just need to worry about guest doors at the end of the night.

Some times you are the only leader in the building so you have to rely on yourself.
Like he said there should be someone closing with you like a TL or the closing GSA/GSTL. I’ve saved one of my seniors twice while walking behind him. Once receiving wasn’t armed and the second time a fire exit was ajar and he didn’t push on it.

I'm in a small format so I'm the only closing leader. I cant be in the building by myself so there's always someone with me, and the ones who close with me are already used to my being neurotic, so there's that. My routines are solidifying, and I tend to take pictures of everything. So I guess I'm doing what has to be done. Thanks!!

I'm in a small format so I'm the only closing leader. I cant be in the building by myself so there's always someone with me, and the ones who close with me are already used to my being neurotic, so there's that. My routines are solidifying, and I tend to take pictures of everything. So I guess I'm doing what has to be done. Thanks!!

I’ve walked with Sr’s and ETL’s when I’ve done overnights, it’s all about routines but not getting complacent. Do the same thing every time and if something prevents you from doing that routine, write it on your hand so you’ll see it at some point and go back to it. I get laughed at because of how many notes I scribble on my hand but if I wrote it on paper I know I’d forget to check it

Like he said there should be someone closing with you like a TL or the closing GSA/GSTL. I’ve saved one of my seniors twice while walking behind him. Once receiving wasn’t armed and the second time a fire exit was ajar and he didn’t push on it.

Not necessarily. Many nights I had to close with no other leaders in the building. The salesfloor ETLs at my store didn't see the importance of having TLs past 10pm. In fact, most were never scheduled past 8pm.

I’m also at a flex format store so I don’t have any other TL closing with me. You can have a tm walk as well but you still have to verify.

Not necessarily. Many nights I had to close with no other leaders in the building. The salesfloor ETLs at my store didn't see the importance of having TLs past 10pm. In fact, most were never scheduled past 8pm.
You still need the front end leader to stay and do 239 with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back