Scam - Rain Check

Alright guys, my tarjay does not do rain checks. I had a cashier ringing up a gentlemen today with a bardcode and I heard her keep asking him what the barcode was for and he just started shaking and said I don’t know very low. And she kept asking so I walked over. The barcode turned out to prompt a “print rain check” receipt and of course I was like okay this is fishy and I told him we don’t accept rain checks. He had a total of $109 owed and after not accepting his rain check barcode he left upset but still very shaky like he knew what he was doing wrong. Has anybody come across these? And how do people even get a hold of them? Hopefully no new cashiers just scan and print receipt 😔 we got hit 2 weeks ago $3000 from somebody pressing k1

IIRC, there was a four digit code used to prompt for a raincheck but that went by the wayside along with apology coupons & paper gift certificates.
Def alert your AP.

Alright guys, my tarjay does not do rain checks. I had a cashier ringing up a gentlemen today with a bardcode and I heard her keep asking him what the barcode was for and he just started shaking and said I don’t know very low. And she kept asking so I walked over. The barcode turned out to prompt a “print rain check” receipt and of course I was like okay this is fishy and I told him we don’t accept rain checks. He had a total of $109 owed and after not accepting his rain check barcode he left upset but still very shaky like he knew what he was doing wrong. Has anybody come across these? And how do people even get a hold of them? Hopefully no new cashiers just scan and print receipt 😔 we got hit 2 weeks ago $3000 from somebody pressing k1
Okay, if I’m reading this correctly the scam involves the cashier ringing up the items but when they scan the rain check barcode it prints what they think is a “receipt” so the guest then walks out without paying? That is definitely something to stay alert for.
We still do occasional rain checks at my store but most of the time the system denies it.

So on the question of do you have issue a rain check .
Yes and no.
The only case where there is a federal law requiring one is food.
"The Federal Trade Commission ("FTC") requires grocery stores and retailers that sell food products to have the advertised product in stock and available for you to buy during the entire time period of the deal unless the advertisement clearly states that supplies of the product are limited.
If the grocery store doesn't have a phrase on the ad to the effect of "while supplies last", but runs out of the advertised product, the store must either be able to prove that it originally ordered enough of the advertised item to meet the anticipated demand, or:

Offer you a rain check;
Offer you a similar product to the one that was advertised that is either comparable in value or has had its price reduced in a similar way; or
Offer you some other form of compensation that is equal to the value of the advertised product that is no longer stock.

So there are two other ways to get around the rain check thing, offer a similar item at the same price or a more expensive item at the reduced price.
Or the ad says while supplies last, which most of them do.
I really have no idea how you would prove you ordered enough product to meet the need.

I'm super confused as to how this could work. When you get a rain check, you don't pay for the item at that time, right, it's more like a coupon allowing you to pay the advertised price at a later date? Does the scammy rain check have an "advertised" price of $0.00?

I'm super confused as to how this could work. When you get a rain check, you don't pay for the item at that time, right, it's more like a coupon allowing you to pay the advertised price at a later date? Does the scammy rain check have an "advertised" price of $0.00?
I assume it’s some kind of fake barcode that when scanned manipulates the price of an item.

Guest tried it today with an expensive blender.

Told him naw. He got mad. Wanted a manager. She said naw. Guest was like "bruhhh" and left.

Damn moolennials and their language.
He was pretty ballsy to make a scene. I told the guy with the Bose Frames "don't tell me what to do" and he noped out of there. As soon as you show you're not dealing with their shit the sooner they leave.

The ones we are seeing aren't legit. It's for headphones at a clearance price. We are out of headphones, nevermind the unicorn one with the clearance sticker. The scam is....the raincheck price is the clearance. Guest takes raincheck to another store, picks up one selling at full price, pays the low price with the raincheck slip.

We explain, no rainchecks on clearance. They ALL insist on seeing a manager. They ALL have Target policy pulled up. It's obvious it's some scam site online.

Last edited:
The ones we are seeing aren't legit. It's for headphones at a clearance price. We are out of headphones, nevermind the unicorn one with the clearance sticker. The scam is....the raincheck price is the clearance. Guest takes raincheck to another store, picks up one selling at full price, pays the low price with the raincheck slip.

We explain, no rainchecks on clearance. They ALL insist on seeing a manager. They ALL have Target policy pulled up. It's obvious it's some scam site online.

Yes, at least, I don't think you can print rain checks for clearance, so this, in fact, is exactly what I was saying that the item that used the DPCI before was clearance, and the new item that uses the DPCI hasn't had its price reset.

so why dont we just call the store these come from and be like which one of ya'll hecked up

the ones in my store are coming from a store less than 10 miles away

like its printed on actual target receipt paper someone there had to have done it

Back