Archived Scanning IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we first opened up 6 years ago, we had to scan ID for the lighters. Then it stopped for a couple of years. Now it's started up again. I think they're just trying to see if we are paying attention:lazy:.

My favorite is that we have to card for the plain lighters at the registers, but the patterned ones in the market area (same damn things with fun patterns instead of plain colors) we don't have to card for.

My guess is that they associate the BIC lighters with cigarettes but not those big ones in One Spot and summer Seasonal. After all, how many times have you seen someone light a cigarette with a grill lighter?

I've been guilty of that... when realizing that you left your lighter in the car and there's one of those grill lighters on mantle for the fireplace... Didn't use it out of want, just laziness.

I've been guilty of that... when realizing that you left your lighter in the car and there's one of those grill lighters on mantle for the fireplace... Didn't use it out of want, just laziness.

Can't say I'd do the same, seeing as I don't smoke, but I can see where you're coming from. :D When I think of grill lighters, I think of one that my parents have that's like a Bunsen burner. If anyone tried to light up with that, they'd probably burn their face off.

Watched my dad light a cigarette with an arc welder one time.
Always wondered how he did it without catching his beard on fire.

My guess is that they associate the BIC lighters with cigarettes but not those big ones in One Spot and summer Seasonal. After all, how many times have you seen someone light a cigarette with a grill lighter?

Only the real classy ones use those to light their cigarettes.

Anyone else have the glitch in the front end system a few months ago when it prompted you to scan the guest's ID when they were buying a case of Coca-Cola? Talk about a WTF moment for both me and the guest.

At my store it was Pepsi products. This past weekend it was prompting for ID for ham. We all joked that it was a plot by Coca Cola.

Anyone else have the glitch in the front end system a few months ago when it prompted you to scan the guest's ID when they were buying a case of Coca-Cola? Talk about a WTF moment for both me and the guest.

I forgot about that. I had to deal with that for a few guests, but they just laughed. One asked if Coca-Cola went back to putting cocaine in their drinks.

We have an older guest who buys the nicotine patches and complains EVERY time we ask for his ID...he seems to think we should have it "stored" in the system or something. He doesn't understand WHY we have to ID for it and we have to explain EVERY time that it's just like buying cigarettes, you have to be 18 and only a supervisor can "override" just punching in his DOB.

Always get those groups of older folk where the person that is purchasing gets flattered that I am IDing them. Then the no-fun friend explains that we have to do it for everyone.
Then it is like "well that sucks." :huh:

With the recent Call Of Duty of release I keep on getting older people who just say "If anything, I'm too old to play this game."

Something about watching a young kid beg their parents for the newest M-rated game, the parents finally giving in and buying, then having to explain why we need to card them.

Which usually doesn't end very happily for someone.

People are so damn paranoid about identity theft. My G-d the ones who give the cashier such a hard time about their driver's license than go and swipe a credit card.... such a paranoid idiot and hypocrite.

She asked to scan his ID to which he promptly replied "No. You can see it, but you ain't scannin' it"

This is where you tell him to go fly a kite. Laws differ state to state, but the general medium is a valid ID must be presented and inspected to verify authenticity. If the guest refuses to allow you to properly inspect/scan the card, than there is no way of verifying its authenticity and therefore the store may be liable if they sell age restricted items to minors with fake or invalid IDs.

Always defer to your GSA or GSTL if people like that a-hole give you trouble, so that way if anything comes of it, you don't take the blame because a supervisor was overseeing the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back